• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McDude

Winter Tyres

McDude

Okay, so this is really an excuse to show just how awesome my Pug looks with its winter boots on - 106 S2 Rallye steelies really do look the balls, even if they are as good as weetabix when it comes to resilience to water.

th_DSC00044.jpg

But as it is now November, it really is a good time to think about some winter tyres - I'm not talking about getting a panic on because it might snow, I'm talking about the fact that a winter tyre works better when the temperature gets into single figures and the roads get a little damp.

th_DSC00045.jpg

The water displacement of a winter tyre is phenomenal. I've got a set of Avon Ice Tourings and I used them for most of last winter and was nothing but impressed. When it actually did snow, I was unstoppable, well that is unless I was trying to stop!

As I've just put them back on, I'd forgotten just how well a 205 rides on 14" rims, it really is the superior choice. Plus the lightweight nature of the steelies means the whole car feels so much quicker and more agile.

The last thing I'll say on the subject (for the time being) is that it really isn't all that expensive. After the initial outlay you are saving life on your summer tyres so it really doesn't cost much more to do it.

Anyone on the cusp of getting some, DO IT! It really is the right idea - it's not about snow, it's about crappy UK wet winter weather.

P_Monty

I must admit I keep thinking about it. Now I've got somewhere to store a spare set of wheels I'm going to get some. Of course whether or not I do it before or after the bad weather is a different question...

welshpug

I'm keeping an eye out for another set of C5 15" wheels, don't know whether to find some part worn tyres for track use or stick winters on!

feb

Mcdude your car looks awsome with the Rallye steelies on, it looks so retro (I prefer it like this rather than the speedlines TBH)! Are these 5.5x14?

Back on the subject of winter tyres, it is really worth the investment, as you said these are not needed only on the snow but when the average ambient temperature has dropped below 10C the summer tyres are too hard to work well.

Once you have driven on winter tyres you will never drive on summer tyres again in winter.

My Nokian WRG2 are great on wet/cold weather and nothing could stop me in last year's snowfall (apart of the idiots on the streets).

Edited by feb

Anthony

Another winter tire convert here - as above, they're beneficial throughout winter, not just on the rare odd day it snows :lol:

McDude
Are these 5.5x14?

You know what, I'm not sure! I'll have to check the stamping on the rim - I just ordered 14" S2 Rallye Steels from my local Pug garrage last year - I didn't check if they were 5.5" or 6"

I was a bit of a plum when I ordered up the tyres sizes too - I got a 185/65 R14 where a 185/60 R14 would have been a better size. They rub a tiny bit on bumpy roads, but not so much you'd really notice.

welshpug

S2 are 6" wide :lol:

Henry Yorke

Spooky. I bid on a set on ebay and lost out, though they were suitable for my Honda FR-V and easy to pick up. However I was contemplating whether you really needed all 4 tyres or just the front ones for traction and whether I was going to split the set if I won and have 2 on the 307 and 2 for the Honda. I know Baz had some autograss knobblys on the front last year for the snow!

Also is there much difference between the performance makes and the cheaper ones when it comes to snow conditions?

feb

Winter tyres should be used in all 4 wheels otherwise you will have a very unpredictable rear IMHO.

White Pugs

We drive over to the alps to ski each winter and I also get up to Yad for as many days as possible (11 in the last two seasons!), my last co car was a 4mo tdi golf and this was ok on it's summer tyres all year round, a year ago I had to renew my co car and with 4wd sallons and estates all being way too expensive I went for a Vaux Insignia and knew that i'd need winter tyres.

After much comparison shopping, trying to source cheap free wheels for the Insignia to then source and mount winter tyres I came across a really cost effective/convienient option, Winter tyres fitted to steel wheels delivered. I reckoned it was worth paying a little extra for a premium brand and in the end went for Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3d.

The tyres are fantastic, hill starts in snowy conditions, loads of confidence on the winter sludgey rubbish that coats the roads from Dec-Mar, i would definately fit to all four wheels to keep your braking consistent and back end stable.

Looking at the impending chilly conditions, I think I'll swap them over this weekend.

J

Cameron

I'll definitely be fitting some this year as I'm off to the Alps in January. :wub:

The French / Germans pretty much all fit winter tyres in winter, for some reason the UK doesn't bother.

TT205

I've used winter tyres for 5 years now, I only use them on the fronts but agree that you would be much better on all 4 wheels

Typically tyres are replaced profile for profile but my daily car runs 215's which in my opinion are too wide as snow tyres so I used the tyre size calculator and am running higher profile 185's

In the snow last winter I could get up any of the hills around here except when it turned to ice - but lets face it unless you've got spikes you ain't going to get up an icy steep hill!

I once bought winter tyres for the 205 and the guy fitted 195 50 15's as thats what I had on the car - it was RUBBISH!!! I would probably fit 175's on a 205

arwel

Iv got a set of Nankang Snow trecs or something like that on my Astra. I paid £130 for them on sxi alloy wheels and they have been on the car since October. Massive difference in the cold weather so we'll see when it get really tricky later on.. if their not up to much then the 205 will come out on gravel rally tyres. :angry:

McDude

Some pics from today - winter tyres rock soooo much. ONly problem is the frustration of being stuck behind those without them.

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

Photos taken out in Essex today

Richie

I might well jump on the winter tyre band wagon after today. Where is the cheapest place to get the rallye steelies from dude~?

Edited by Richie

McDude
I might well jump on the winter tyre band wagon after today. Where is the cheapest place to get the rallye steelies from dude~?

Not sure about cheapest - at the time (about this time last year) my local Pug dealer was the cheapest. I looked out and followed a few sets on eBay, but they always went for more than a set from the pug dealer.

One thing I would say is, they come really badly painted and after one winter they are already showing signs of rust coming through. If you can be bothered with the effort, getting a scabby set and sandblasting and then painting yourself might not be a bad option as it looks like I'll need to do that at then end of this winter.

If you do get a new set, give them a spray so they have a few coats on before you fit tyres.

GLPoomobile

McDude, I can't believe you drive your mint GTI in this weather :D

I was pure s*itting my kecks driving my Alfa yesterday. Too many clueless twats on the road. I had some tool overtake me in a 30mph street, approaching a traffic island, because I was driving at 20-25mph, which I considered appropriate for the conditions. Maybe he had snow tires on and he's a time served rally driver, but I think it's more likely he was just another accident waiting to happen. Hope you don't get some funt like that run in to your 205 :lol:

SurGie

I agree no matter what tyre's i have it wont stop other drivers hitting you in this weather..

large

Something that does pi$$ me off in this weather is 4x4 drivers! The "out of my way lets off road" mentality, thinking they can pop along at 50mph and every thing is o.k. See how quick you can stop on ice you tits!

McDude

I do poop it a bit about other drivers - but I bought my 205 to be used.

It is such a blast in the snow it'd be a shame not take it out.

feb

Just make sure you rinse the wheel arches and underneath once a week or so with a jet wash to clean the cr@p/salt :D

McDude, does yours have a LSD?

We have about 10cm snow here but the roads got cleared on the second day, I need to find an open space to have a little play.

As said, some people think that AWD is magic :lol: ; it doesn't help at all when you have to steer/brake unless you have winter tyres.

Even on ice there is not much that can be done unless you have studded tyres.

Edited by feb

pug_ham

I'm gutted I missed a pair of Continental winter tyres on ebay for my 306 on Monday for under £50, auction ended but never sold so I rang the seller & they'd gone before I found them but they hadn't closed the auction. :(

I've only recently put a full set of new tyres on & winter tyres cost more than the falkens I got so I might have to struggle through on normal tyrs unless some more turn up.

Graham.

JayCC

Will the S2 14" steels fit over 1.9 calipers?

pug_ham
Will the S2 14" steels fit over 1.9 calipers?

Yes, they are the same brakes as fitted to the S2 Rallye.

Thy will even fit over the 266mm brakes on my hdi afaik.

Graham.

DamirGTI

Hunting some winter tyres as well :P , found a pair of 185/55/15 Fulda Kristall 2 ..

Anyone from over here tried this particular Fulda tyre ? :D

Damir B)