• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
happygoron

Dash Part Repairing

happygoron

What do you guys recon is the best way to repair this?

IMAG0050.jpg

Thought about plastic welding which appears to just be thin plastic and a soldering iron but unsure. worried about it cracking further down the left hand side. One mate said fibreglass it from behind but seems overkill, or is it?

Any hints?

Henry Yorke

I would brace it up underneath the panel in order to repair it. The black dash tops seem exceptionally brittle and prone to cracking

muddatrucker

Araldite?

justinv

In my opinion, super glue all the bits in place,

then carefully mix some jbweld or araldite on the back of it

steve@cornwall
In my opinion, super glue all the bits in place,

then carefully mix some jbweld or araldite on the back of it

I would carefully reassemble with sparing use of superglue, then use the soldering iron underneath to fuse the cracks together, then brace with fibreglass paste.

BERTMAN

i would go to the scrap yard and find another one...

DamirGTI

Tried 2 pack epoxy glue loads of times before on similar basis (old Ph1 dash cracked in various places) , and it did work but the repair was , temporarily :) ... after a few months , with the aid of the vibration from crappy bumpy roads , it cracked lose again ...

Tried repairing from the back side with GRP , but this also didn't work as good (or i did something wrong ?! GRP adhesion on plastic was kinda poor ..)

I'd try plastic welding if you can't find an replacement item .

Damir :blush:

happygoron
i would go to the scrap yard and find another one...

Taken me 5 months to find this one!

Gonna try steves method - supergluing in place then soldering and fibreglassing behind, see how it does.

Tesstuff

There is a phase 2 black one in Gloucestershire if that helps you.

Edited by Tesstuff

happygoron

Goliath? Am very interested if it's in good nick.

Edited by happygoron

Tesstuff

You have pm :huh:

jeremy

Try a prodduct called Q Bond it is basically a runny superglue and cones with a powder. First glue surfaces together, then when dry pour some powder over the crack followed by some glue. This basically soaks throught the powder, and goes hard whilst also bonding to the surface of the thing you wan to stick. It is excellent and have used it on numerous types of plastic.

MerlinGTI

Q bond is very good stuff, but its still just fancy superglue. The powder is for gap filling.

Anything you do unless you fill and re-texture is going to look crap really. For strength I would plastic weld (no need for the rods on something like that, just a normal soldering iron will do) then 2 part urathane (Upol 915 is very good) the back with a nylon mesh.

Myself I would just get a new one. Even if its grey, a decent dedicated plastic texture paint like Upol number 5 (5 IIRC) will get it black and looking better than a broken repaired item.

Ive just realised my post sounds like its sponcered by Upol. Its not, but I think they should break me off a crumb for pimping their shizzle. I wont wait by the letter box though.

CaptainK

I'd just blutac it back together. A lot of my 205's interior is held in place with blutac (mainly to stop it rattling) :)

Edited by CaptainK