• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest bazpro

2.0 Turbo Or Gti6/mi 16

Guest bazpro

i currently have a subaru impreza which ive just sold and is going on saturday and iam fancying another 205 gti.

i had one about 9 month ago as a runabout and loved it but was only a 1.6 and a bit tired and slow.

i now got a focus and looking to buy something i can mess about with do some trackdays in and have seen a few nice 205 gtis with 2.0 turbos in for decent money. what are they like reliabilty wise? can they be tuned much?

i really have no idea about them.

when i had my last one i was going to put a gti6 engine in.

which is more likely to be quicker? am guessing the gti6 would be better on the track but the turbo may have better straightline speed.

M@tt

a turbo will spank a standard gti6 everyday of the week imo.

Henry's turbo CTI on half a bar is quicker than my GTI6 , Tom Fetons 1.6 turbo is quicker than my GTI6

My GTI6 made 156bhp at a rolling road along with 2 others give or take a few bhp so its making good standard power, forced induction is the future :unsure:

welshpug

your gti6 is short of 11bhp Matt!?

have a look on youtube for Henry's videos of llandow where Carl Chambers keeps up in his gti6 engined 205 just fine.

I'm not surprised Tom's 1.6 is quicker, its running 200!

Edited by welshpug

Miles

If your compareing the 2.0 Turbo then the GTi6/Mi is much better suited to track work, If it was the 1.9 TT then it would be quicker.

The 2.0 engine was a stop gap for Pug until the 16v engine's came out, Low power and tiny Turbo, It's more like driving a Derv.

Guest bazpro

would a 2.0 turbo be quicker in a straight line? i really like turbo cars the way they make the midrange torque but its frustrating when the boost tails off.

thats what got me thinking a gti6 engine'd 205 might be more fun as it will keep pulling high up the revs.

hcmini1989
would a 2.0 turbo be quicker in a straight line? i really like turbo cars the way they make the midrange torque but its frustrating when the boost tails off.

thats what got me thinking a gti6 engine'd 205 might be more fun as it will keep pulling high up the revs.

Never been in a turbo jobby ,But often go out playing with my mate in his imprezza and my pug is just as quick ,His imprezza is an sti ,All mine has done to it is a gti6 inlet and some light porting work on the head and aftermarket managment,I wouldnt say my 205 is faster than his subura but it didnt pull away even in a straight line ,

But the 205 is so much more fun because of its size and the noise of the mi engine is unreal

Edited by hcmini1989

Miles

Not a std one no, they are quite slow really for the amount of money needed to fit them, It's always been the most disapointing conversion I;ve done for BHP to £

Guest bazpro

my impreza was remapped to 280bhp and was quick off the mark as it was running 1.3bar by 2.5k but tailed off to 1 bar up the revs. was quick but could well believe a decent hot hatch would keep up.

ive seen a nice turbo'd 205 on pistonheads for 1750

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2247931.htm

also seen a nice mi16 205. am guessing the engine is almost as good as a gti6.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2219929.htm

hcmini1989
my impreza was remapped to 280bhp and was quick off the mark as it was running 1.3bar by 2.5k but tailed off to 1 bar up the revs. was quick but could well believe a decent hot hatch would keep up.

ive seen a nice turbo'd 205 on pistonheads for 1750

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2247931.htm

also seen a nice mi16 205. am guessing the engine is almost as good as a gti6.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2219929.htm

Yes mate basicly the same engine gti6 and mi16 well power wise have a search there are pro`s and cons to each engine.

But the scooby i was refering to was`nt standard either probably running similar power to yours allthough its not seen any rollers to confirm this.

Depends on your driving style etc aswell on what you go for.I personally do fancy a run out in a turbo one to see what the fuss is about .You could easily do a 1.9tt one yourself if your handy with the spanners

Edited by hcmini1989

Guest bazpro

the best thing for me to do would go look at them and get taken out for a drive but i have a nastyy habit of buying the first thing i see :lol: .

and they are miles away from sunderland!

hcmini1989
the best thing for me to do would go look at them and get taken out for a drive but i have a nastyy habit of buying the first thing i see :lol: .

and they are miles away from sunderland!

Might be worth asking on here ,To see if theres some people local to you to take you for s a spin in theres to see wich one you like the most

Tom Fenton

Swings and roundabouts.

Turbo can be made to make 200bhp without spending anywhere near what you will spend on an NA to do the same.

NA far easier to drive quickly/smoothly on track. Turbo more driveable and feels faster on the road than the track.

NA arguably more rewarding to drive quickly as you have to wring its neck, turbo great sensation of acceleration with the torque.

I have a ~175bhp/145ftlb 16v on bodies and a ~200bhp/210ftlb 1600 8v turbo parked at my house, both have their good and bad points.

Guest bazpro

thanks for the replys. think iam going to go look at the turbo'd one in the link.

seems either way i will be happy with what 205 i get but most of my previous cars have been turbos ,rs turbo,cosworth,200sx,impreza, so might aswell stick to a turbo.

grantley1988

Its a shame your in sunderland! You would be more than welcome to come and have a drive in mine to see what a 205 turbo feels like... Mine is running at 1bar and is very very quick. The straight line speed is unreal and the speed in gets to 120mph is breathtaking :) and from a rolling starting it will leave an sti for dust.....

Stevo309

Agree with what Tom has said above. I've owned or driven just about every combination of engine in 205/306s and there's no right or wrong answer as it depends on what you want to use the car for and how you drive.

IMO a turbo'd car "feels" quicker because of the gut pulling chunk of torque you get lower down. It's easier to drive quickly i suppose, or less effort anyway. It's deceptive though as on the track a NA car is easier to keep on song through corners etc probably and more rewarding to drive quickly as you have to rev it right and exploit the gearing/torque band.

My 309 ran 2.0 8v turbo remapped to 220 bhp and it was very quick and very driveable and reliable, it did run very hot though despite a bigger rad. On the road it was superb fun and i enjoyed it more than a 309 Mi16 i had once.

Mad Scientist

'Charging is cheating!

(but easier to drive "quick" on the road)