• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chicargo

1989 1.9 205 Gti. Cutting Out And Up And Down Revs

chicargo

hi there. ive got a f reg 1.9 205 gti. the problem ive been having for the last 8 months is, when i come to stop at traffic lights the engine will either cut out completely or start hunting for revs. i.e go from about 1200 to almost no revs then back to 1200 then back to almost no revs and so on, then other times it will rev its balls off (1500-1600 revs) and some times after it has cut out you have to turn it over for about 30-40 seconds and pump the accelerator before it will re start. all other times it starts straight away. please somebody give me the answer as it is now really badly doing my head in.

all the best. chicargo

Anthony

Very common issue, usually caused by either a failing AFM or the engine just needing setting up properly.

Do a search for "hunting" or "stalling" and you'll no doubt find plenty of information.

chicargo
Very common issue, usually caused by either a failing AFM or the engine just needing setting up properly.

Do a search for "hunting" or "stalling" and you'll no doubt find plenty of information.

cheers for quick responce anthony, i'll do a search now, i did suspect it was the afm as the black square plastic top has been taken of and re-sealed. i did try searching for afm and air flow meter and just brought up loads of stuff that didnt seem relivent.

has anybody got a decent untampered with air flow meter for sale for a 1.9 ???.

Tedglenn

sorry guys but my Porcshe does this...This set up same as a porsche 944 (sorry) and you can re track the AFM ..but be careful its delicate in there. there is a lot on thsi site about this type of system...not sure teh 205 has a slow idle valve though...on the P it gets all dirty and clogged as its part of the vacuum pipes..this causes it to hunt...it recovers because teh "computer" taking up teh slack......http://www.the944.com/

Other reason someone has fiddled under the cover is it to take a notch of tension off the swing arm so it reads lower at same air flow hence putting less jiuce in and thus passing MOT emissions ! Not sure I would fiddle with the spring unless you know the CO2 reading.

Of course...could just need the throttle screw adjusting ? If you can be bothered make sure all the throttel housing is all nice and clean ..you get a lot of crud un there and it affects tick over.

my advice.....AFM is a bit last resort for fiddling.

good luck.

chicargo
sorry guys but my Porcshe does this...This set up same as a porsche 944 (sorry) and you can re track the AFM ..but be careful its delicate in there. there is a lot on thsi site about this type of system...not sure teh 205 has a slow idle valve though...on the P it gets all dirty and clogged as its part of the vacuum pipes..this causes it to hunt...it recovers because teh "computer" taking up teh slack......http://www.the944.com/

Other reason someone has fiddled under the cover is it to take a notch of tension off the swing arm so it reads lower at same air flow hence putting less jiuce in and thus passing MOT emissions ! Not sure I would fiddle with the spring unless you know the CO2 reading.

Of course...could just need the throttle screw adjusting ? If you can be bothered make sure all the throttel housing is all nice and clean ..you get a lot of crud un there and it affects tick over.

my advice.....AFM is a bit last resort for fiddling.

good luck.

hi there, yeh i thought they might be a similar afm on a 944 and a bmw as well i think i think as when i was googling the part number on the afm it kept on bringing up 944 and bmw afms.

someone taking a notch of tension off the swing arm on the afm would also make sense because when i took it for an mot last year, the guy in the mot place was shocked at how good the emmission results were.

the only problem then would have been trying to get it back on the right original setting.

i did some time ago check for blockages and clean all the afm with carb cleaner but didnt seem to make much differance.

ive also checked and cleaned the suplementry air device and checked to see if it opened and shut but still didnt seem to make any difference.

the only thing i didnt bother to check was the temp sensor under the s.a.d because i figured if it had gone it would be overfueling by default ???. the car seems to stop cutting out quit so much after it has warmed up. but it still hunts and sometimes hard starting wheather its hot or cold.

ive ordered a second hand afm from a guy called jason in south yorkshire so with a bit of luck it might solve the problem completely, fingers crossed.

i tell you what it would be so cool to have the car drive and perform the way it should for once.

could someone also just confirm that the last thee digits of a 1.9 afm ends in 109 and that denotes it to be a 1.9 afm. and that as long as its a non catalitic convertor afm it would work ok with my car despite of year, i.e 1987-88-89

anyway after i get the replacment afm fitted i will update this post to let you all know if it did the trick. cheers for all the help guys. take it easy, chicargo

Tedglenn

My AFM is part number 0280 202 109 if that helps. I think you are right that the temp sensor in the AFM will make it run rich. I replaced mine on the 944 with a resistor so the engine management always thinks it a nice sunny day !

I think one of the challenges with this set up is that the engine management takes a lot of readings (usually based on changes in Resistance form the various sensors ) and its tricky to know if any one of them is at fault or if the whole system is just old and a bit dirty. You can watch the AFM arm with the top off. Trouble is you are never sure if its cause or effect with the AFM worth cleaning the track with meths or similar...its very hard to measure the resistance on the AFM when its running. On mine i did it manually..connect a meter up and turn by hand and watch the reading increase but its not a perfect test ....good luck.

chicargo
My AFM is part number 0280 202 109 if that helps. I think you are right that the temp sensor in the AFM will make it run rich. I replaced mine on the 944 with a resistor so the engine management always thinks it a nice sunny day !

I think one of the challenges with this set up is that the engine management takes a lot of readings (usually based on changes in Resistance form the various sensors ) and its tricky to know if any one of them is at fault or if the whole system is just old and a bit dirty. You can watch the AFM arm with the top off. Trouble is you are never sure if its cause or effect with the AFM worth cleaning the track with meths or similar...its very hard to measure the resistance on the AFM when its running. On mine i did it manually..connect a meter up and turn by hand and watch the reading increase but its not a perfect test ....good luck.

cheers for that Tedglenn. ive sourced a decent second hand afm now and i must say its made a hell of a difference. it now ticks over without cutting out all the time, the revs are way more steady on tick over. even the gear change's are a lot more smoother than before. i think ive lost a little acceleration but i think thats now more down to it needing a good tune up, i keep promissing myself i'll take it up to skip browns but every time i get the money together some stupid bill or unexspected expence pops up. typical :lol: .

anyway. a massive thank you to all that have given excellent advice. all the best my friends,

chicargo

Sign in to follow this