• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gaz832

Earth Wires From Battery

gaz832

hi how many earth wires connect to the battery leads, is there more than one that goes from the battery to the shunt box, if there is i may have solved a problem. i have 3 earth wires , 1 from loom and 1 from the battery going to the gearbox. and 1 from battery to the shunt box, need to know where these go properly.

Edited by gaz832

Anthony

There's two earth wires - one from battery negaative to gearbox, and one from battery negative to the inner wing. The engine management loom earth is also earthed to the gearbox.

The shunt box is 12v positive and shouldn't have an earth anywhere near it! :glare:

gaz832
There's two earth wires - one from battery negaative to gearbox, and one from battery negative to the inner wing. The engine management loom earth is also earthed to the gearbox.

The shunt box is 12v positive and shouldn't have an earth anywhere near it! :glare:

i have them the wrong way then. only wire i have going to the shunt box is the yellow cable from the battery, other 2 leads are on the gearbox. mmm still puzzled now

Edited by gaz832

Anthony

Battery negative goes to 1) gearbox and 2) inner wing

Battery positive goes to 1) shunt box and 2) starter motor / alternator (starter and alternator are on the same thick wire)

gaz832
Battery negative goes to 1) gearbox and 2) inner wing

Battery positive goes to 1) shunt box and 2) starter motor / alternator (starter and alternator are on the same thick wire)

big ask but do you have any pics of the earth lead going to the wing or all earth points. , im pretty sure i didnt take 1 from there when i removed the loom. maybe wrong tho.

P_Monty

Do you still need pictures? I could take some of mine tomorrow...

DrSarty

Why are you ignoring Anthony's simple, clear and correct advice?

Shunt box is live! Whatever you did before and whatever the wire colours are or were, it's live.

Earth the battery with big leads, one to the chassis and one to the gearbox. Some leads have a ring half way so you can use one lead for both. Clean up the metal before bolting down.

It's simple. There's no need to be confused.

Edited by DrSarty

smithy

agreed no need to be confused or need pictures.

the battery fits in such a way that the earth terminal is closest to the earth points and pos is closest to shunt box.

no matter what wire colours you have earth should be a thick cable from batt to gearbox and also one to the stud on suspension turrett,the live will go to shunt box and starter/alternator.

i do not think you can mix it up personally as terminals will not reach properly if batt wrong way round also the live to shunt box should be m6 ring terminal so will not go on earth as one on box is m8 and one on suspension is m7.

humanz

Where on the gearbox is the battery earthed? I ask because my battery is earthed to the back of the engine block, and not the gearbox. I'm considering running another earth from the battery to the gearbox, so would like to know where on the gearbox is the usual or a suitably good spot.

So I wouldn't mind pictures.

DrSarty

This is becoming a joke!

Engine, gearbox, it doesn't matter. It's a great big lump of metal in the engine bay that needs to pass electric current - quite a lot sometimes - that normally sits on rubber bushes and therefore needs a proper return to the battery.

It doesn't matter; just make sure you have one, the metal is clean at both ends and that the cable's in good condition.

I'm really getting surprised at the content on the forum these day.

humanz
I'm really getting surprised at the content on the forum these day.

Lol. Indulge me. I ask because I'd prefer to switch the ground from the engine block to the gearbox, especially if the location on the gearbox is somewhere on top. I find that the current ground point on the engine block gets very grimey. And because I don't want to go messing with the wrong bolts on the gearbox and have something important drop into the gearbox. So indulge me. I understand it's all connected, but I'd like to know where on the gearbox is a good place, in case I decide to switch my ground point. Thanks.

P.S. please remember that some of the forum users have no other knowledgeable 205 enthusiasts nearby to discuss problems or issues with, whether mundane or very serious.

Thanks again.

DrSarty

Well typing 'lol' doesn't really appeal to my better nature.

Just bolt it to a nice threaded hole on top of the gearbox.

It's really not difficult and has nothing to do with how knowledgeable anyone is with 205s or any other car. If you get how a battery has a plus and a minus then it's quite simple. Surely most people can jump start a car so understand the principle?

It was so much discussion and requests for photos on such a simple matter which amazed me.

I would contest (and trust me, I'm building up to not only leaving this forum but signing off 95% from my further internet and mobile phone use), that if people want to drive 20 year old plus cars about and be enthusiasts, they really ought to have a grip on the basics. Not being able to figure out where to bolt an earth cable onto a big lump of metal, when it's quite clear where it goes, i.e. nearest the battery and keeping the lead short simply astounds me. It's really not rocket science.

This is nothing truly personal, it's general, and I've discussed this with several friends and forum members, even a team manager. Standards are dropping as laziness increases. Too much twoddle and very little effort. It's a sign of the times, and this was just a topic helping me make my point.

It was important that I did so, and then slowly slide off the face of this crappy e-society where many people seem to have lost the ability to think things through, choosing instead to post on the internet, probably because it's easier. Chuck in an 'lol' and 'yer' and 'hehe' for good measure - all in lower case letters naturally - and everything's fine and dandy.

Not for me any more folks, sorry. It's simply becoming too lame and as I'll comment on shortly in my exit topic, there is so much more to life than being glued to a screen or phone.

Rant over. Bolt the lead where it makes sense to. Use your head.

Edited by DrSarty

Peetypug

On top of the box there is a breather, slightly behind thebreather towards the bulkhead there should be a threaded pin sticking up vertically

Mine is earthed to this as every other 205 I've had have been

The engine loom should be earthed there also

From there it goes to the negative terminal then onto either the inner wing behind the washer bottle or just above the chassis leg below the expansion tank

PS

Rich, chillax! lol

B)

Edited by sorrentopete

Mad Scientist

If there is no stud, the hole will be M8. I'd suggest running a tap down it to clean it up. Also, clean up the box with some sand paper to ensure a good earth.

I don't see anything wrong with your topic mate. Some people are just a little intense around here. Just because one person thinks something is basic does not give them the right to criticise others.

JRL
If there is no stud, the hole will be M8. I'd suggest running a tap down it to clean it up. Also, clean up the box with some sand paper to ensure a good earth.

I don't see anything wrong with your topic mate. Some people are just a little intense around here. Just because one person thinks something is basic does not give them the right to criticise others.

+1

humanz

Thanks all. I'm not sure about the OP (original poster), but I had never thought about using an empty threaded hole. Some ideas only come out through having discussions. And I didn't know that keeping the lead short would've been important.

DrSarty, would hate to see you leave as you are one of the more knowledgeable and respected forum members on here. And while after your countless years of experience, some of us have very little experience, which personally is why I chose to get into a 20 year old car.

Will have a look around the box by the breather. I hardly know anything about the gearbox, and it is truly the one part of the car I haven't been brave enough to mess about with, as if I wreck it, I'll have to spend loads of money getting a wrecker to take my car to the mechanic, or getting my mechanic to come out and have a fiddle with it.

smokey

You wont be do any damage to the gearbox doing what you want to do.

As i have my gearbox off my engine at the moment here are some pictures of where my earth point is. You will have the same threaded hole on yours. Mine didn't have the bolt either. When i went to a breakers i found one on another 205

f9587fce.jpg

00324c37.jpg

Edited by smokey

Peetypug

mine isnt there smokey

see the reverse in line with that to the back of the box is where mine is, mine has power steering meaning there is a bracket that bolts to the top of the box levelish with the crank sensor

mine bolts to that

PVFCpug

Mine is not there either alot more towards the back the one you are showing I think is underneath the battery tray.

So OP was not asking such a stupid question after all!

P7061767-1.jpg

Peetypug

That's the one ade!

The other would defo be under the battery test and hard to connect to once the engine is fitted

smokey
That's the one ade!

The other would defo be under the battery test and hard to connect to once the engine is fitted

That is true guys. Just had another look at my gearbox and i have one in the same place as you guys. It was just covered in grease and dirt.

But to be honest going from what's said it doest actually matter where it is earthed as long as it is earthed!!

smithy
That is true guys. Just had another look at my gearbox and i have one in the same place as you guys. It was just covered in grease and dirt.

But to be honest going from what's said it doest actually matter where it is earthed as long as it is earthed!!

exactly any good clean bolt hole will do just fine so long as the earth lead reaches and makes a good contact.

DrSarty

That was my whole point, said in a different way, because it really should be common sense.

I didn't mean to rile anybody, and nor did I say it was a stupid question. I was merely using this topic to point out that giving it a bit of thought might achieve more satisfying results.

And you don't need that special bolt either if you think about it.

Any clean bolt of the right size, perhaps with a large washer applied with a short lead (to keep resistance down) fitted well will act as a good, high current earth return. Any convenient point on the block or gearbox will work. It just happens that the top of the gearbox is closest the battery, and the starter for that matter, which is really what the lead's there for.

gaz832

can a mod close my topic now, my problems have been fixed thanks.

DrSarty

That's good news.

You can close the topic. Bottom left, 'moderation options', 'close topic'.

Sign in to follow this