• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul Smith

1.6 Gti Fitted A 1.9 Cam But Can't Get It To Idle

Paul Smith

Hi

I fitted a new head and whilst I was doing that I thought i'd wack the 1.9 cam in but now she doesn't want to idle if you hold the throttle gently she sits beautifully and revs loely but if you let off the throttle it falls to about 800 hovers and slowly drops off. Anyone else had this trouble?

Or anyone fitted the 1.9 cam come across any issues?

Thanks

Paul

welshpug

driven a 1.6 with a 1.9 cam and it wasn't as lively as a good 1.6.

though I think that's unrelated to your issues here, its more likely to be throttle initial position, throttle switch and AFM issues.

Paul Smith

Hi

your probably right but I thought I'd have a play. lol.

I have tried adjusting the AFM but seems to make no real difference, how would i adjust the throttle position sensor?

Anthony

Or insufficient ignition advance, which will likely have got messed up when you changed the cam (particularly if you didn't mark the dizzy prior to removal and just slapped it back on in any old position)

Certainly if it idled and behaved previously, I'd start with that as that's the obvious thing that would have been changed.

Also, double check that the cam timing is correct and you've not got the cambelt a tooth out.

Paul Smith

Cool,

I marked the dizzy prior and do have to advance it slightly so she starts nicely. I also marked up the position of the belts do you think i should try a tooth either way?

pug_ham

A friend of mine has a 1.6 with a 1.9 cam in & like Welshpug, I don't think it goes as well as it did before as a normal 1.6 but I also agree I doubt the cam change is the cause of your issue.

I'm going to suggest fitting a good condition 1.6 cam back into it but she has discussed sorucing another full 1.6 engine tio refesh the whole car.

I also marked up the position of the belts do you think i should try a tooth either way?

Use the proper built in engine timing pin locations to lock the engine & you can't get it wrong.

Graham.

j_turnell

As i mentioned when you popped over Paul although the cams are very similar my 1.6 felt very flat with a 1.9 cam. But as Graham mentioned the cam swap isnt likely to be the problem, as long as the timing is right, if you want me to take a look let me know.

Paul Smith

Thanks, I may need some help but I think i am a tooth out to be honest but should know in about an hour or so. I'll let you know

Thanks

Paul

Sign in to follow this