• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
edbar

[trackday_prep] Rallye Rep Trackday 205

Spiky

I'm with you on te induction noise, I loved mine, was awesome,

But to get the power I wanted it was cheaper sc route

Has golds or bilsteins IMO :)

edbar

Been in cars with both and yours was the most impressive handling wise, the billies seemed to ride the bumps alot better and less bounce, guess its better damper control.

welshpug

I go for AST's :)

Spiky

i or mates havent used them, but heard good things about them :)

just expensive

welshpug

no dearer than Bilstein coilovers :)

got some on th front of my ZX and driven a 306 and a classic scoob with them on, very nice and more comfy than any bilstein car I've been in.

also been in a Phase 2 V70 T5 with a set on to :lol:

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

They're very good on 205's too - I seriously regret not buying James_R's old set (that's now owned by Mr_G IIRC)

EdCherry

I just bought a set of 3 way AST's for the 205, will report back on how they handle by the end of 2011 I hope.

Went to see Curtis the guy that runs the UK branch and they are pretty good quality dampers, very similar to penske in internal design (unless you go for linear bearing £££££)

edbar

I've driven a couple of scoobs with AST's on and they were great, never experienced a 205 with them though. So are they better than the Bilstiens? Arent the rear billies supposed to be better than the rear asts?

welshpug

Main thing with AST is you can have them specified exactly to how you want them, you can with Bilsteins but it means taking new dampers apart and incurring extra cost.

Their sportline 1 kit is about the same price as height adjustable dampers with bilstein inserts and the rear dampers afaik.

edbar

Yeah that is the good thing about AST is the fact they are custom to your needs, think I will probably end up converting some challenge Billies to coilovers though as I dont really have the budget for AST or new Bilstien coilovers.

edbar

Time for a long over due update. After still battling the missfire into the winter I decided to get the carbs inspected and re-built at aldons, they found nothing major wrong and fitted all new gaskets and needle valves. After fitting them in early january the missfire was still there, so last weekend i set about checking all the earths for the ecu and had to re connect the air temp sensor, again no different. So now I have rebuilt the top end the carbs and the complete fuel system the only area left to investigate is the ecu and its sensors or check the cam timing hasnt slipped.

After the various rebuilds the engine looks like new again!

SAM_1190.jpg

So....... I have booked the car into Aldons for the 3rd of feb to have a diagnosis/set up session. If we have no luck at finding the miss fire after two hours I am pulling the plug, probably selling the 8v and going 16v with throttle bodies as I have spent over 12 months and about £1000 chasing the missfire so far I cant bare to part with more cash for no return. I hope we can find the problem or all my work was in vain. Fingers crossed I will get closure, the ecu is about 10 or so years old or more so if it is knackered it did have a good innings.

daza4

Fingers crossed you find the misfire finally mate!

Glad to see the brakes fitted ok !

Next time your down this way txt me ! or pop in for coffee! would take you out in mine but its stripped!.......

daza4

check the tps on the carbs hasnt slipped - it looks different in some of the pictures

but the cam vernier could also have moved slightly. will rack my brains as i looked long and hard into the weber alpha kit when i had it !

oh and i have AST's on the front of mine :)

edbar

Tps is disconnected Daz, it was giving wrong signals when i first had it mapped so it was disabled and only used in 2d mode there after. Going to see if I can get it working before i go though. Im down at castle combe watching a mate at a track day on saturday the 18th of feb if you want to come along? And stop bragging about the ast's! But seriouslay what are they like in your opinion?

daza4

well they seem to be very good - but i dont have any other experiences from any other suspension apart from some sport stuff i had on my old white 205 - but that was just avo sport stuff not coilovers! this car is so different in set up - ie 309 front & rear - decent suspension ast front coilovers and koni adj rear dampers - its very comfortable!

edbar

Update.

Had the car booked into Aldon automotive for a fault finding/set up session on friday the 3rd feb, I filled it with fuel and loaded it onto a mates trailer all the time it was missfiring and having no power I held no hope that it would be fixed within the two hour time frame Id set myself on the rollers ( if we hadnt a clue what the fault was in two hours I was going to pull the plug and go 16v).

Arriving at Aldons.

Got the car off the trailer and changed the plugs and topped up with oil.

SAM_1204.jpg

Had a chat with a couple of guys who work in the workshop and Alan the owner and then went round to the dyno room and strapped the car down and plugged the ecu into the laptop.

SAM_1205.jpg

Roger the dyno operator then spent half an hour setting up the carbs meticulously all the time cross checking afr and rpm. I told him all the work I had carried out in 2011 to try and find the problem and he agreed I had done everything logically and the rolling road is the last chance to find it. So with Roger sat in the car we ran up the car, he stopped after its usual fit of coughs and splutters "Youre live feed for the ecu is fluctuating, they like a constant 13-14 volts, yours dropps but it might be alright" So we changed the leads over to different posts on the coil to see if the missfire moved, it did so we thought it must be the coil. Roger had one he knew worked so we plugged it in and away we went on another run, alot better, so we tried a run again and it was still missfiring "I think you've got a dodgy alternator" Roger said "the volts are dropping every time we load it up" o.k I though we are getting some where but two hours are up and we think we have the problem but not 100% and its not set up, "we could hard wire the ecu to the battery to see if making sure the volts are constant completely cures it? How are we doing for time?" Roger asked "sod it lets hard wire it and see if it works". So Roger went and got his wire and connecters (kept losing his glasses) and set about wiring the live for the ecu straight from the battery, after 15 mins this was done and we started a run again. Bar the fluffing below 3000rpm which it always did anyway it ran clean and strong! So we tried a power run, watching the screen with anticipation me and my mate Leigh waited for the graph to plot, screen said go and it started The torque came in very hard and bhp graph looked good 172 bhp and 162lbft! Thats up 5bhp and 14lbft from before my last head mods. Peak power is delivered alot sooner and the torque curve is less peaky!

Before latest head mods.

IMG_3731.jpg

After.

SAM_1239.jpg

To say im happy with it now is an understatement! Although the clutch feels like its sapping some of the acceleration so need to get a paddle I think. After a year and probably two grand it all came down to one wire, so im going to move the feed for the fuel pump from the ignition switch to the battery and have both feeds fused on toggle switches.

• Like 1

allye

172hp 8v on webers :wub: the noise!

edbar

Didnt film it as I was too busy praying, sounds lovely though!

dcc

Great Success!

Been following this quite closely, so glad you managed to find your issue!

Ill drop you a pm shortly too :)

BusEngineer

Thats a great result :) so pleased you've sorted the problem it would have been a real shame for it to go 16v after all the work you've put in

Congratulations!

welshpug

so after all that it was the bloody alternator, DOH!

edbar

No wasnt the alternator just that the live feed I had used for the ecu and fuel pump dropped voltage under load, whether that means I do need a new alternator now it probably does but I wont get one for a while although its on the list. Im going to hard wire both the ecu and pump so there is no chance of a problem unless the alternator goes completely. Thanks for the comments guys, Ive had a terrible year with it now im so glad its behind me and things can start moving forward again! :D

daza4

Glad to hear this has resulted in a happy ending mate. by the sounds of it it does mean you need a new alternator !! but wiring the ecu up differently will certainly help! but you may find its still there - if so get and change the alternator!!!

HAPPY DAYS!!!

edbar

Going to wire it up first and see what thats like, seems to work so far but going to price up alternators today anyway. Its such a relief to have it sorted I can tell you.

Cameron

Glad to see you got it sorted! It's so good to find a guy like that - willing to take their time to properly fault-find rather than just slap components on it, scratch their head then send you packing without solving the issue.