• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
murtaghp

Xu9jaz Options

murtaghp

Hi all,

On the way home from work last night, the car developed a slight miss-fire at low revs but seemed ok above 2000rpm, was not overly concerned as it was a bit damp and put it down to needing new leads or something.

When I hit a lit up area of the road I noticed huge amounts of white smoke coming from the rear of the car. Above said 2000rpm there was very little but below that and at idle there was loads (so much that cars behind me were reversing back).

I presume that the head gasket is away but the engine aint in that good a condition judging by the metal putty stuck to the rear of the block.

The car is pretty much standard and I would be keen to keep it this way but looking at the for salre section and e-bay, there does not seem to be many low comp engines kicking about.

My options are therefore:

1. Wait until a direct replacement engine comes up for sale

2. Find an alternative engine ie MI-16 / GTI6

3. Cut my losses and break the car.

All advice welcome.

CaptainK

You could always get your engine rebuilt too ? Granted it may cost a bit, but if you think its worth it then thats an option :)

murtaghp
You could always get your engine rebuilt too ? Granted it may cost a bit, but if you think its worth it then thats an option :)

The only problem with that is the metal putty stuck to the back of the block, based on some of the posts I read here the previous owner had cracked the block and blew the head gasket. the putty was an attempt to repair it.

To be fair it looks to have lasted over a year and only leaks a little.

I'm not sure if I want to spend money on an engine with a ropey block.

JRL

As with most 20 + year old cars any 205 will need the following doing if not already done:

1. Rear beam refurb

2. bodywork attention of some kind

3. Engine rebuild.

its inevitable bite the bullet get it done and enjoy it once again.

DamirGTI
The only problem with that is the metal putty stuck to the back of the block, based on some of the posts I read here the previous owner had cracked the block and blew the head gasket. the putty was an attempt to repair it.

To be fair it looks to have lasted over a year and only leaks a little.

I'm not sure if I want to spend money on an engine with a ropey block.

.. i did this as well ;) by accident of course ... in a hurry , simply forgotten the top spacer on the head bolt on top of the WP :lol:

Anyway , repaired holed block with epoxy metal and there's no leaks what so ever for more that two years now :o .. so , if done properly - don't worry about this ... it'll outlast the whole car !

Now regarding the misfire/exhaust smoke - perform compression and sniff test , sounds like blown head gasket (or cracked head/liner) .. if it's a head gasket only , it'll be quick and easy fix ...

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI

murtaghp
.. i did this as well ;) by accident of course ... in a hurry , simply forgotten the top spacer on the head bolt on top of the WP :lol:

Anyway , repaired holed block with epoxy metal and there's no leaks what so ever for more that two years now :o .. so , if done properly - don't worry about this ... it'll outlast the whole car !

Now regarding the misfire/exhaust smoke - perform compression and sniff test , sounds like blown head gasket (or cracked head/liner) .. if it's a head gasket only , it'll be quick and easy fix ...

Damir B)

Head gasket seems the most likely, i'll take the head off and have a look when I get the chance. If its knackered it wont cost me anything anyway. I would also like to take a closer look at the crack to see if it runs all the way to the sealing face.

As with all of these breakdowns it aint the best of weather to start these jobs, all part of the 205 experience I suppose.

Sign in to follow this