• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JRL

Flushing Heater Matrix

JRL

A Friend said he flushed his heater matrix out by by simply pouring hot water down one of the pipes through the bulkhead and said loads of cr*p came out and made a massive difference making it get hotter. Has anyone done this?

JRL

Pinched this pic from smokey's classic named title "what goes in this hole?" hope you dont mind .

In the pic you can see the bulkhead heater top and bottom outlets.

post-15473-1286925500_thumb.jpg

omega

the heater matrix is like a small radiator and can get full of rubbish so if you flush it out it will help it become more efficent.just but a hose pipe on the holes and away you go.

Anthony

Just be warned that on a 20 odd year old heater matrix, that "crap" that you're flushing out can be what's sealing the matrix - flush it, and whilst the heater will potentially blow hotter, it's not unheard of for the matrix to leak/weap afterwards :unsure:

JRL
Just be warned that on a 20 odd year old heater matrix, that "crap" that you're flushing out can be what's sealing the matrix - flush it, and whilst the heater will potentially blow hotter, it's not unheard of for the matrix to leak/weap afterwards :unsure:

dont want that to happen because you will here a "I have water in my footwell" post.

boombang

Not a hard job to replace them though.

£20 + delivery + vat from buypartsby

Worth changing before they go IMHO, much nicer than spending weeks in a stinking car with wet carpets.

jackherer

I agree, change it, they usually destroy the stereo too when they leak.

omega

and if you change it

you wont need to flush it!!!!!!!!!

JRL

Iv replaced pretty much everything else whilst in my ownership so Change it I will!

DirtyFlare

£15.28 from eurocarparts here and they do free delivery :lol:

I got one of these a couple of months ago and it fits perfectly ;)

JRL
£15.28 from eurocarparts here and they do free delivery B)

I got one of these a couple of months ago and it fits perfectly :lol:

that is dirty cheap! thanks for letting us know im sure will come in handy for others too its freezing at the moment!

Anthony

IMG_3770.sized.jpg

That's what the £15 heater matrix from ECP consists of, having fitted one myself a few weeks back

flipperthebushkangaroo

Sorry to hijack your thread but is it the same heater matrix for phase 1.5 and phase 2? two come up when i put my reg into euro car parts one twice the price of the other and unavailable. Guess i know which one i need!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Roddie

Tom Fenton

That does seem a great price, I've just ordered one as the matrix in the track car has just started to leak, at least in a stripped out car with no carpets it is easy to spot it, as the pink water in the footwell kind of gives it away!

Flipper, if you expand both the matrix listed on the ECP web page, they both have the same dimensions. It also listed two for my car reg, a 1990. I took the chance with the cheap one, I've not come across any differences before so I reckon you ought to be OK with the cheap one as well.

Edited by Tom Fenton

Anthony

Phase 1.5 and Phase 2 use exactly the same matrix, and I'd assume that Phase 1's do as well. Indeed, I think the matrix is common to other models as well, given that the ECP receipt says something like "Heater matrix - various Peugeot models"

I can't speak for the more expensive one that ECP are selling, but the cheaper one like I've just fitted had noticeably lower fin density on than the original (Valeo?) one that was on the car previously and I'm 99% sure original OE. I assume that this will limit the amount of heat that you'll ultimately get from the heater, although it still seemed plenty warm enough to me and is bound to be a massive improvement over a typical clogged up matrix.

IMG_3905.sized.jpg

£15 ECP one on the left, what I believe to be an OE Valeo one on the right.

alphacharlie
how easy is it too fit does most the dash have to come apart?

Not too bad mate, dash panel under the steering column it about all I took out, replaced mine including top up and bleed in less than an hour.

Cheers

AC

Tom Fenton

Result, tell you what Andy, you come and do the matrix on my white one, I'll do your thermostat housing gasket!!!

JRL

For those that want there heater hotter I thought id try flushing it out anyway taking the risk of it leaking, with a new one at the ready. A bit of dirty water came out not alot but It really did get hotter today just as I remembered getting my 1st 205 thinking wow the heater gets hot.

Tom Fenton

Swapped mine last night, awkward in my track car due to the cage, would be easy in a standard one though.

shalmaneser
I agree, change it, they usually destroy the stereo too when they leak.

mine did <_<

bloody nice stereo too. New one is s*it and doesn't recognise my mp3 player.

Not too bad of a job to change either really.

JRL
Swapped mine last night, awkward in my track car due to the cage, would be easy in a standard one though.

how come you changed it was it leaking? does it get hotter now with a nice new shiny matrix?

All Praise The GTI

how come when i click that link it says £19.68?! typical!! :lol:

been meaning to do mine for awhile as when stripped my 205 noticed it leaked. put some new o rings and and sealant and think its pretty much ok although occasionally see a drop of coolant on the floor. my heaters are really crap tho unless on hot max and on full and unless car is hot and im doing 50mph plus grr!!! <_<

so think im going to end up changing it. when i looked before there was two. one was ~£20 with just the core and the other came with the pipes and fittings at around £35 i believe so looks like its changed now. so even at £20 for the lot guess its cheap

Tom Fenton

I haven't put water back in mine yet, I've another hose or two to change in the engine bay. It had started to leak hence needing a new one. I couldn't tell you if its any good in any case as the damn heater fan motor has packed in now!

One comment though, the pipes supplied with the new matrix are not shaped correctly, after struggling upside down with my head in the footwell for about 20 min (track car, cage, bucket seats, not the best for access under the dash board) I tried the old ones with a new o ring and hey presto they fitted first go.

Anthony
One comment though, the pipes supplied with the new matrix are not shaped correctly, after struggling upside down with my head in the footwell for about 20 min (track car, cage, bucket seats, not the best for access under the dash board) I tried the old ones with a new o ring and hey presto they fitted first go.

Odd, as I didn't have any problem using the new pipes when I fitted it to my car - all lined up and fitted exactly as the originals did? Just as well really, as on mine the original pipes were corroded pretty badly where the hoses in the engine bay clamp over them