• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

1.9 Be3 Gearbox On A Mi16 Engine

smokey

Hiya Guys

Just a quick one...

I've got a 1.9 BE3 gearbox going onto my Mi16 engine and was wondering which clutch cable to get?

Is it a BE3 for a 205 or a 405?

I did have a BE1 on my car. I've removed the old clutch cable, lift up reverse and i have a BE3 clutch pedal. So I think i'm set.

Also how many bolts fit the gearbox to the engine? Not at home at the mo and need to order some. Peugeot sell them in packs of 5 so i'm asuming thats the amount i need. But thought i would check.

Thanks guys

Anthony

205 BE3 clutch cable - the engine that the gearbox is attached to makes no odds :P

smokey

Nice one Ant

Will get one ordered now :-)

Also just wondering if 5 bolts correct for bolting the gearbox to the engine?

Another one...Sorry...

I have a thrust bearing with my clutch is there a way to tell if its BE3 or BE1?

I think the clutch was BE3 as i bought the clutch off someone here and knew it was a BE3 gearbox.

Thanks

Anthony

The clutch friction plate and clutch cover is the same between BE1 and BE3, it's just the release bearing that differs.

Easiest way to tell is that a BE1 release bearing has a metal backing/plate, whereas BE3 is plastic with some pathetic little lugs.

smokey
The clutch friction plate and clutch cover is the same between BE1 and BE3, it's just the release bearing that differs.

Easiest way to tell is that a BE1 release bearing has a metal backing/plate, whereas BE3 is plastic with some pathetic little lugs.

Ah I see thanks for that. Mine has a metal backing plate so its BE1, will be needing a BE3 then!!

Thanks Again.

Just checking the clutch cable codes for a 205 and there are two 2150 A2 (pre 90) and 2150 A7(post 90)

Not really sure what age car my gearbox came from?!

Just checked Service Box and the two part numbers for the release bearing are:

2041 29 01 BEARING BUFFER H = 20,5

- CLUTCH ON BALL JOINT CONTROL UNTIL DATE 19890701

2041 67 01 H = 20,5

- CLUTCH ON AXLE CONTROL SINCE DATE 19890701

Any idea which one is the BE3?

Thanks

Anthony

1990 onwards is BE3 :P

smokey

Thanks again Ant

So just leaves the release bearing. There doesnt seem to be much on Service box to distingush between the two?

Baz

Hi Greg, just replied to your PM.

Gearbox bolts, there's indeed 5 not including the 3 holding the starter to the box. But, some are different lengths and the rear one is a socket cap head.

jackherer

Are you fitting a 1.9 Mi16 with standard 1.9 GTI ratios? That doesn't work very well.

smokey
Are you fitting a 1.9 Mi16 with standard 1.9 GTI ratios? That doesn't work very well.

Yeah i am :unsure:

I've read on here lots of times that this will work ok?!

Anthony

It physically works fine, but the 1.9 gearing is a bit long really for the Mi16 engine, making it feel a bit underwhelming - it's much better with a 1.6 or Mi16 gearbox.

smokey

Bugger now i'm told lol.

Ok so are we saying that it wont accelerate that well?

Anthony

Coming from a 1.6, it will still feel quick and accelerate well. In isolation you'd no doubt be very happy with it.

The problem comes when you then drive one on say a 1.6 gearbox, and the whole thing feels so much more lively, more frantic, more dare I say fun?

Sign in to follow this