• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
choco

Which Omex Do I Have, And How Do I Connect?

choco

Hi,

I just bought a secondhand set of Webers TB's with loom and an Omex.

I installed MAP 3000 on my desktop pc, to find out what version it is, since there is written on the side: serial nr 150 500. It came with a floppy with MAP 1000, but since your website says 3000 works with any model, i assume this is a better program?

I connected the serial cable to my pc, and try to connect to the ECU, but it keeps saying it's offline. (tried different baud rates)

So my questions are;

Does the ECU respond to a pc when it's not build in in a car yet (maybe it needs 12V to operate?), or is it broken?

If it's not broken, how can i tell the difference between the models (assume it's a 150 or 500?)

Hope you can help me, saved my money for a long time to be able to buy this.

Cheers, Johnny

Anthony

The ECU will need to be powered up to work, so just plugging in a serial cable and nothing else won't work.

Miles

If you are using a USB to RS 232 adaptor they can give problems too, Worth trying a couple of different types,

Can you post a picture of the OMEX, it sounds like a Old 100 if with Carb's.

choco

Thanks for your help.

Got a reply from the guy from Omex, and he says it must be an Omex 500, since the loom also contains the injectors for the TB's. The only thing to do now is to find a cheap laptop with a serial port...

DrSarty

As Miles said, you can use a serial to usb adaptor like you can with Emerald, but you often have to download a special driver and/or use a special lead from the ECU manufacturer. I used an Emerald lead plus an off the shelf adaptor and downloaded a driver.

And your ECU will need at least one pin made live and just one for earth.

Miles

I gave up on the USB one's and went for a PCIMA card one, Works a treat

sideways danny
I gave up on the USB one's and went for a PCIMA card one, Works a treat

Andy's suggestion? his old one for old PCMCIA slots was superb. Last time i was on the dyno with him his new one kept getting disturbed and losing coms :lol:

We gave up and used my anciant old dell with coms port in the end hehe

PVFCpug

Make sure you have the right orientation on the serial cable, I am certain I had to cross over pins 2/3 to get mine to work on Omex 100. I used Omex MAP3000 and have a base map for an MI on carbs if you require one, kind gent from Omex direct mailed it me and once in mine it fired straight up!