• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
notamondayfan

"family" Car Time

notamondayfan

Hey guys,

New car time......the misses is pregnant :huh: So that's the easy bit done, now for 6 months of planning, preperation and panic!

As well as taking care of the wife, finishing the house, and a whole load of other stuff, I need to start looking for a new (larger) car!

We currently have a 207 3 door 56 1.4 diesel, which is a great little, cheep, reliable car to run, but it's just too small and too impractical with it being 3 door.

The criteria is sub £5000, 4/5 door, diesel, reliable, safe, and easy to maintain.

My shortlist so far includes -

Vauxhall Zafira,

Honda Accord Estate,

Ford Focus Estate,

Peugeot 307 Estate,

Vauxhall Astra Estate,

Volvo V70,

This is a very quick list, thankfully I have a few months to go yet!

Any sugestions and advice would be really appreciated as I know sod all about family cars!!

Tell me what to avoid and what to go for please!

There must be other realistic cars I have left off the list, so just shout up!

Cheers, Deano!

Edited by notamondayfan

Cameron

Ford Mondeo estate! I've got an '03 TDCi and it's bloody brilliant! :huh:

AJA_GTi

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9 TDI 130bhp (285Nm!)

Just bought a 10 year old 115 bhp with 150k on clock (FSH) and it's seriously great.

Last week I covered 1,500 miles touring Scotland with wifey and 2 toddlers (plus ALL accociated crap that comes with kids of 1 and 3) and was giving it 'medium' beans on motorway/ highland twisties and I still averaged 47 mpg fully laiden

Forget 0-60 times as most driving is between 20 and 70mph and these things seriously shift from low revs and the waive of torque is very useable and satisfying on twisty windy roads

You could do worse than an Avant mate you still see them in dealers with 220k miles plus for strong money too

You could pick a very nice one up for £5k that will last you years. forget about the to55er image these are popular cars for a reason!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...age/1?logcode=p

PS congradulations!! Enjoy the bairn mate!! :huh:

Edited by AJA_GTi

Richie

Congratulations, if it were me i'd be swaying towards the mondeo.

AJA_GTi

My collegue has an 04 ghia 130bhp Mondeo estate currently with 70k on clock.

Nice car, goes well and carries lots of stuff but since having it he's had clutch issues, cutting out randomly due to some sensor or other and electical issues (rear windows going up and down randomly)

I think they are great and maybe he's been unlucky but I wouldnt have one myself esp if it had higher mileage

Cameron

Mine's covered just under 100K now and I recently had to replace the clutch and flywheel, but let's not pretend there aren't Audis out there that have problems.. :huh:

The A4 is another good choice, but the Mondeo offers better leg room in the back, has a much larger boot and the difference in quality nowadays is pretty non-existent.

Have you thought about a Skoda Octavia estate?

AJA_GTi
The A4 is another good choice, but the Mondeo offers better leg room in the back, has a much larger boot and the difference in quality nowadays is pretty non-existent.

Mondies do have better legroom in the back and better luggage space BUT build quality still isnt up to german standards imo :huh:

PS other car to look at are Mazda6 estate

I have done this excersise and these are my thoughts:

Zafira = driven one round europe. 4 kids plus imo, a minivan & minivan handling (Vauxhall build quality)

Accord = very good cars not driven one though

Focus estate = small for an estate and dont look nice

307 estarte = driven one and really liked it - depreciation?

Astra extate = driven one and was disapointed with the size but it handled nicely and was quick

V70 = driven one and liked it but was very 'bargy' and a bit too comfortable and not too good for nipping round town

Edited by AJA_GTi

Batfink
Mondies do have better legroom in the back and better luggage space BUT build quality still isnt up to german standards imo :huh:

german build quality isnt up to german standards of yesteryear either...

Veero

Having had an A4 Avant I would say it is excellent. I know it's not as good as perhaps Zee German Build Quality used to be but it is still good, it all feels solid and robust. Been a bloody good car in the last year.

Also I am just about to advertise mine. Fits your criteria too. Let me know if you're even vaguely interested in more details.

I have to agree with AJA though, had a lift in a couple Mondeos lately, one was an 03 plate and it does just feel a bit flimsy by comparison but having never owned one I can't really comment. But if you are just starting out family wise is leg room in the back a big issue? I know the Mondeo does have slightly more leg room in the back and having longer legs proportionally I'm glad I don't have to sit in the back of it, but I've had 2 tall people in the back before and they didn't complain about the space, particularly as I have the drivers' seat quite a way back...

Veero

Surely the Octavia is just the same as the A4/Passat given they're based on the same chassis?

McDude

Congratulations on becoming a Dad - when is the due date?

I've got an X-Plate Passat estate, 1.8T Sport with 90K on the clock and in frankly great condition that will get me £1500 when I sell it (planning to do this soon) - I'd rather it went to someone deserving as it has recently had the cambelt done and a new battery. Seems like a lot of metal for very little money.

Even if you don't want mine I would say that the Passat is a good buy, great build quality, actually quite rapid in 1.8T form though a little wooden in the steering department. So would echo the Skoda/Audi comments.

3 series wagon for the win if you want something that drives nicely. Focus wagon does look dull but also a great handling car.

happygoron
Surely the Octavia is just the same as the A4/Passat given they're based on the same chassis?

Octavia is actually based on the golf platform, the Superb is the skoda passat equivilent. If you want rear legroom then that's the daddy!

Diesel octavia VRS would fit the bill nicely I think, though milage may be a little high for 5k.

Cameron

It is, but you won't be paying the premium for the brand name and IMO it's a better looking car.

Certainly wouldn't say the Mondeo was flimsy.. nothing on the interior has broken or some loose and there are no squeaks or rattles. The dash is really nice and solid, no horrible tinny scratchy plastics! You're getting a lot more car for your money with the Fords, that's why I went for one in the end after looking at VW, Peugeot, Volvo, BMW and Audi equivalents. For my £5K I got a low mileage (50K) car on an '03 plate (bought in 2007), you'd have to spend a bit more than that to get a 4 year old Audi with low mileage! It has masses of interior space - and I mean masses! I have the front seats most of the way back and there's acres of leg room, you can get 3 adults in the back. Unlike the Audi and BMW estates there aren't awkward boot shapes or protruding wheel arches, and the opening is bigger than most cars in it's class. After doing all my homework the Mondeo was the best option by far. :huh:

BMW 3 series estates do look very nice though.. I'd be very tempted to go for one if I didn't have lots of bulky / awkward / dirty stuff to haul around (DH bike for example), they're just a little too nice, I'd be scared to put stuff in it incase I scuffed or stained the interior.

Edited by Cameron

AJA_GTi
Diesel octavia VRS would fit the bill nicely I think, though milage may be a little high for 5k.

170ps estate version In metallic blue :(

£9k plus though :huh:

happygoron

Did they do a diesel version in the old shape?

Edited by happygoron

AJA_GTi
there aren't awkward boot shapes or protruding wheel arches, and the opening is bigger than most cars in it's class. After doing all my homework the Mondeo was the best option by far. :huh:

BMW 3 series estates do look very nice though..

Audis and bm's have big arches inside the boot true and the load space isnt as square as the mondy as the sides taper more to the top.

Drove a 3 series touring last month (330d) and it was a serious weapon - very fast car with 3 litre diesel lump

http://www.trilulilu.ro/PartzPartzescu/34f3d410993fd9 dont drive like this d1ck though :(

AJA_GTi
Did they do a diesel version in the old shape?

90% sure they didnt

Anthony

Firstly, congratulations :huh:

Secondly, how come you're looking seemingly exclusively at large estate cars when I'm assuming this will be your first child? A typical 306/Focus sized 5dr hatch will be plenty big enough in my (limited) experience of carting friends little 'uns about (hell, my 205 has been big enough, but being 3dr does make it arkward)

C_W

The A4 Avant is a nice looking car, "classier" than the Mondeo and the interior is leagues ahead, but the TDCi engine is very good apart from the idler gear issues (just noise at idle). The Mondeo will be roomier as the A4 Avant isn't actually that big (my dad got a bath in his Rover 400 hatch after giving up trying to get it into my brothers A4 Avant!!). The 6-speed Mondeo TDCi is very swift and easy to drive with a mega 6th gear though, smoother engine than the VAG TDI too.

AJA_GTi
Firstly, congratulations :(

Secondly, how come you're looking seemingly exclusively at large estate cars when I'm assuming this will be your first child? A typical 306/Focus sized 5dr hatch will be plenty big enough in my (limited) experience of carting friends little 'uns about (hell, my 205 has been big enough, but being 3dr does make it arkward)

You would be surprised what you 'need' when taking a baby places especially for overnighters. travel cots, cool bags, clothes, pram, high chair seat thing, toys etc etc

If you love your familly you wouldnt take them on holiday in a 205 youd be safer in half a gerry can with a skateboard duct taped to the bottom :huh:

Edited by AJA_GTi

Baz
Yeah 330d's are quick!

Yup, and even 320d's aren't shy either!

notamondayfan
Ford Mondeo estate! I've got an '03 TDCi and it's bloody brilliant! :D

Dont know why I overlooked the Mondeo. Will definatley look them. Didn't you have a bit of bother with your clutch a few months ago? What are Ford like to deal with?

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9 TDI 130bhp

Forget 0-60 times as most driving is between 20 and 70mph and these things seriously shift from low revs and the waive of torque is very useable and satisfying on twisty windy roads

You could pick a very nice one up for £5k that will last you years. forget about the to55er image these are popular cars for a reason!

This is an interesting one, I initially thought Audi, BMW (and to some extent VW) would be too expensive to get anything half decent. I do like Audi's though, they seem to age better than a lot of cars. Whats the space like inside of them though? What are Audi like to deal with? Am I gonna get stung with repair costs and servicing?

I had a quick look at Octavias, and there seemed to be a big price difference between something decent and something s*ite.

PS other car to look at are Mazda6 estate

I have done this excersise and these are my thoughts:

Zafira = driven one round europe. 4 kids plus imo, a minivan & minivan handling (Vauxhall build quality)

Accord = very good cars not driven one though

Focus estate = small for an estate and dont look nice

307 estarte = driven one and really liked it - depreciation?

Astra extate = driven one and was disapointed with the size but it handled nicely and was quick

V70 = driven one and liked it but was very 'bargy' and a bit too comfortable and not too good for nipping round town

Umm mazda6, interesting, will have a look!

When you say "Vauxhall build quality" what do you mean? Just Zafira is quite high on the list as we have a family friend who is a Vauxhall mechanic, and we had a Scenic a few years ago, and the misses loved it, just a shame it was a peice of Renault built s*it!

Also I am just about to advertise mine. Fits your criteria too. Let me know if you're even vaguely interested in more details.

starting out family wise is leg room in the back a big issue?

Could be interested, but you are quite a bit away from me.

Leg room not really an issue. Im 6ft2, but I dont intend on sitting in the back!

What about the BMW equivalent, this was a bargain;

http://pistonheads.com/sales/1988792.htm

Definatly a bargain! I would worry about reliability though, and insurace too. Plus isnt the 3 Series the car which is least likely to be let out at a junction according to a recent poll?!

I've got an X-Plate Passat estate, 1.8T Sport with 90K on the clock and in frankly great condition that will get me £1500 when I sell it (planning to do this soon) - I'd rather it went to someone deserving as it has recently had the cambelt done and a new battery. Seems like a lot of metal for very little money.

Even if you don't want mine I would say that the Passat is a good buy, great build quality, actually quite rapid in 1.8T form though a little wooden in the steering department. So would echo the Skoda/Audi comments.

3 series wagon for the win if you want something that drives nicely. Focus wagon does look dull but also a great handling car.

Ideally looking for a diesel and cheeper insurance, but the price isnt bad :lol:

how come you're looking seemingly exclusively at large estate cars when I'm assuming this will be your first child? A typical 306/Focus sized 5dr hatch will be plenty big enough in my (limited) experience of carting friends little 'uns about (hell, my 205 has been big enough, but being 3dr does make it arkward)

I just want something with plenty of space in the boot. The 207 has an average size boot, which is OK, but we struggled to get a push chair in the back when we picked one up the other week. Plus with other stuff we need to travel with, it would be a very tight squeeze! Best to play it safe and go slightly too big rather than slightly too small.

And thanks for all the "congratulations"! The due date is 4th April, which seems ages away, but I know it's gonna fly by! I don't think it's really sunk in yet to be honest, maybe a new car will help :D

Deano!