• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Supplier Of Alpine White Rattle Can Paint

Anthony

Does anyone know of a common supplier that can supply rattle cans to match an '89 205 GTi in what I believe is Alpine White (the earlier, creamier shade)? The paint code has long since rubbed off on my car, but I'd guess that it's either POWT or EWT.

I don't need an absolutely perfect colour match as I'm only painting the inner boot lip and a little bit of the boot floor rather than external body panels, but from past experience the Halfords Peugeot Alpine White is almost beige in colour and looks terrible. Do any of the other usual suppliers like Holts or Hycote supply paint that's a better match, as both list an "Alpine White" in their catalogs (although it's listed as a Citroen colour by Holts which may or may not be completely different)?

A quick search revealed this thread where it was suggested that Arctic White was a pretty good match for the earlier cars like mine, despite being the "wrong" colour - anyone else successfully used this at all?

GLPoomobile

Can't help, but I remember trying to paint parts of my first GTI - an 89 on a F plate - many years ago using Halfords paint. I think I tried 3 different shades (one being listed as a 309 shade IIRC) and not one of them was a match. I ended up settling on one of the whiter shades of the 3 at the time, but don't remember which it was. It wasn't too noticeable a difference once you stood back, and wouldn't notice it if you didn't know about it, but at the time it bugged me not being able to get an exact match.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Alan77

Ive just tackled some rear lower quater panel rust on my white 89F 205 gti.

The halfords 'Arctic white' is a very good colour match to my car, although the car being peugeot 'Alpine white'.

the 'creaminess' seems to be spot on, taking into account 21 years of tone change.

As you said, the halfords 'Alpine white' is very creamy, almost going towards a light beige colour, not a good match at all.

Rich_p

I have a Fresh can of Halfords Alpine white that I need to test tomorrow on my 93 309. I'll see what the match is like and report back..

Edited by Rich_p

Alan77

Here is my repair:

car repair

Just need to leave it a while before claying / rubbing off the overspray and polishing up.

steve@cornwall
Here is my repair:

car repair

Just need to leave it a while before claying / rubbing off the overspray and polishing up.

quite a few bits of this are touched up with alpine? I know the pics are poor, but care to guess which bits?

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/pugfarmer/look/

Also used after rust treating the seam on this GTi (j plate)

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/pug...ent=gtiroof.jpg

It's a pretty good match, but if using on outer bodywork, I would blend to the nearest panel and clear coat over the lot. Makes it all but perfect.

Tom Fenton

Go to any decent motor factors, or paint factors, and they will mix a custom aerosol to your car. The guy at my local place will compare his chips to the car, mix to the chip codes, then compare what he has mixed on a bit of card to the car again, then trim it as reqd with more black/white/blue/whatever.

Then it goes in a can with a proper fan nozzle tip on so you can do a proper job of spraying it on.

All for no or very little more money than Halfords will charge you for a poxy can of spray that matches nowt.

welshpug

as Tom said, try and find a paint supplier/factors.

I have a local one that will mix up cans on the spot, their Vert Roland Garros was a pretty damn good match just from the code, I think my 500ML can cost a tenner.

Anthony

Ah, I didn't realise that you could easily get specially mixed paints supplied in aerosol cans - I'll give that a go first, otherwise I'll try Arctic White seeing as it's only for the boot and sounds/looks like a close enough match for what I need :)

Steve - being Phase 2 cars, both of those should be the later, "whiter" white - Bianca White I think it's called. I'm hopeless when it comes to bodywork, but from the pictures it looks like you've done a pretty good job to me and it doesn't jump out at which bits have been repaired

GLPoomobile
that matches nowt.

I don't recognise that paint code, what colour is that?

Tom Fenton

Nowt, northern for nothing. Twat, northern for caaaaaant.

steve@cornwall
Ah, I didn't realise that you could easily get specially mixed paints supplied in aerosol cans - I'll give that a go first, otherwise I'll try Arctic White seeing as it's only for the boot and sounds/looks like a close enough match for what I need :huh:

Steve - being Phase 2 cars, both of those should be the later, "whiter" white - Bianca White I think it's called. I'm hopeless when it comes to bodywork, but from the pictures it looks like you've done a pretty good job to me and it doesn't jump out at which bits have been repaired

The 1.1 is POWT - alpine , still has its code, GTi was most likely bianca as it was much brighter and a total b*tch to match, it actually ended up being alpine on topo, blending to bianca at the suage/swage (sp?) line to get it close with Halfords paint!. That was obv. on the wing which I didn't post :)

straight bianca / bianca

pugwing2.jpg

alpine/bianca

DSC00650.jpg

blended

PH2frontns.jpg

I actually believe that the white bleaches almost as badly as the cherry, just not so noticeable to the eye.

BTW, parts of the 1.1 rear valance are actually painted with white smoothrite which is quite a good match - more than likely good enough for the boot.