• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mhyphenl

Brand New Carpet

mhyphenl

I'm in need of a new carpet as mine has had years of water, oil and wear. I've got the later dark (but not the darkest) Grey. I know pug no longer do them and auto 5 are now out. Does anyone know of a supplier or manufacturer of molded carpets?

Henry Yorke

I was going to suggest Autofive. However you could try a dealer that has acess to the European parts network for Peugeot. This costs a fortune for a dealer so not many have them, but you could try Hordens in Chapel-en-le-Frith. Have a word with Nigel Coley, their main guy and an avid Peugeot enthusiast (he has a 207 Spider, 406 BTCC replica, Haynes 306 and a 205 GTI amongst others). He knows me pretty well from the PSOOC so feel free to mention my name as it may assist with the price :) It is not too far from you really, but I could possibly pick it up, though he is about 20 miles from me.

http://dealer.peugeot.co.uk/horderns-motor...pel-en-le-frith

dumbiron
.....................Hordens in Chapel-en-le-Frith. ............

http://dealer.peugeot.co.uk/horderns-motor...pel-en-le-frith

I used to work there, ooh years ago.

I'm in need of a new carpet as mine has had years of water, oil and wear. I've got the later dark (but not the darkest) Grey. I know pug no longer do them and auto 5 are now out. Does anyone know of a supplier or manufacturer of molded carpets?

Got a grey (base model) carpet in my shed doing nowt, took it out of a 33K car (very clean)

I have no use for it, if its any use to you come and take it.

Edited by dumbiron

Henry Yorke

The base models don't have the nice thick pile of the GTIs and the Roland Garros. It depends how original you want it. I think Gentrys have a green carpet though it could be grey so that may be a good source if you find a breaker.

Have you tried cleaning it? It may be cheaper to get it professionally dry / steam cleaned if there are no holes in it. Mine came up great after a good jetwash in my CTI. Grey ones last a lot better than red ones as they don't fade and tend to be from later cars.

Thinking about it, my brother has a VGC limited grey interior with carpet and the leather and he is in Stoke, but I don't think he would want to split the lot and it may not be the right grey you are after if there are two shades. Try him on www.yorkesport.co.uk and see if he wants to sell.

mhyphenl
Thinking about it, my brother has a VGC limited grey interior with carpet and the leather and he is in Stoke, but I don't think he would want to split the lot and it may not be the right grey you are after if there are two shades. Try him on www.yorkesport.co.uk and see if he wants to sell.

Thanks for the lead. I'm a good way down the thought of manufacturing one! The only bit I will struggle with is the heel Pad, I've found a supplier of carpet that can be thermo formed! If I can crack the process I may make a few if people were interested!

mhyphenl
Thanks for the lead. I'm a good way down the thought of manufacturing one! The only bit I will struggle with is the heel Pad, I've found a supplier of carpet that can be thermo formed! If I can crack the process I may make a few if people were interested!

Further to this, anyone fancy explaining the difference between the Peugeot @sting Fitted carpet' and the tufted carped on servicebox?

MerlinGTI

I'm interested in this!

I seem to remember someone saying the AutoFive ones didn't fit propery anyway?

Fsmlittler
I'm interested in this!

I seem to remember someone saying the AutoFive ones didn't fit propery anyway?

Did anyone ever find any source of moulded carpets?

Edited by Fsmlittler

stufarri

I really need a red one for my phase 1 CTI - it's a mix of orange/red and pale green!

Tyring to find a good condition replacement is virtually impossible.

The downside of course will be the cost and volume as they are a different shape to GTI ones - I'd guess a new one formed/created from scratch will be £300+ ?

Edited by stufarri

mhyphenl
I really need a red one for my phase 1 CTI - it's a mix of orange/red and pale green!

Tyring to find a good condition replacement is virtually impossible.

The downside of course will be the cost and volume as they are a different shape to GTI ones - I'd guess a new one formed/created from scratch will be £300+ ?

Not been on here in a while. I managed to find a carpet supplier that would match anything and a company to back the carpet in the polymer that holds the shape when heat formed, The only bet I didn't really find was a mould solution. The problem is that most manufacturers need an order of 5000 linear meters, (about 10000 square meters) of carpet to match the colour and tuft exactly. Same to get the carpet backed. Having said that, going into production with those numbers would allow the carpets to be about £200 ish, probably less in big numbers. I want to do it but I already have a business and it can't afford £20k - £30k setup fees for a new venture....yet!!

I think a mould made from the floor pan of a car heated on one side and pressed by a fiberglass mould would do it! Talking about it makes me want to do it again as I don't want to put a manky old carpet in my restoration!

Fsmlittler

I'd happily pay £300 for a quality moulded carpet. Has anyone spoken to any of the established suppliers of replacement carpets? I'm sure one of them has just started making moulded carpets for Mk1 Golfs.

Fsmlittler

Just had a quick look and it looks like Newton Commercial are selling moulded carpet sets for Golfs-I might give them a call to see if they would be interestdin doing a 205 set.

mhyphenl
Just had a quick look and it looks like Newton Commercial are selling moulded carpet sets for Golfs-I might give them a call to see if they would be interestdin doing a 205 set.

Already spoken to them, they don't do it at the moment and the guy I spoke to didn't think they would as they're concentrating on VW and MG, I was going to try and get them to give me an insight into setting up though!

johnhenry

morning all!

bit of a kick start to the thread and all.

I seem to be in a similar position to alot of people, red carpet is shagged and not sure where to look to get a replacement.

Im currently looking at a couple of options, mainly down the route of a different underlay and then using adhesive to bond the carpet to the underlay, it wont be formed carpet, but thats what really pushes the costs up.

I have spoken to a few carpet suppliers, and the product, in the carpet trade anyways, is called 'impervious backed' carpet. The issue is finding someone who will make the carpet in that 80's RED colour. not exactly understated. I will be perusing further and ill keep this thread updated as its good to have the reference for future.

mhyphenl

It can all be done, the problem I faced is the sheer quantities of product you have to buy, its all in 10's of thousands of square meters.

The problem with not forming the carpet is it will not hug the contours of the floor pan, you'll just end up with folds and creases everywhere.

The way Newton do it is simple enough and with a few thousand setup cost it could be done. All they do is get vinyl backed carpet, coat it in a compound that holds its shape when heated then cooled, (there are companies that apply the coating!) then use a mould made from the floor pan of a car, press with the reverse shape of a floor pan and heat the side thats coated and presto you have a carpet! bit of trimming and jobs done!

In all seriousness, its something I really want to do, I think there would be plenty of people that would order them, almost everyone with a 205 will want to smarten up the interior if they could for a couple of hundred! Its just getting a small unit to work out of and getting past the prototype stage.

ponz

...I think there would be plenty of people that would order them, almost everyone with a 205 will want to smarten up the interior if they could for a couple of hundred...

+1

Slo

Mk1 cti here as well and although my carpet is sound/no holes or rips and the heel pad is still like brand new its is very faded at at the front particularly round the cills/footwell area, the pile is still great though so i suspect its just sun bleaching from when the roof was down. I also took it completely out and scrubbed it with washing powder and a good rinse with the jetwasher then when dried two full cans of halfords cherry red lol. As you'd expect it didnt last too long though. I would definately pay for a brand new carpet, for enthusiasts its a must have.

Before

017.jpg

After

018.jpg