• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Chompz

Straight Cut Gearbox

TU_Later
Get a loudhailer installed and shriek down it for similar effect.

Haha this is getting catty..

But no i know what you mean, I think if somebody sold a straight cut transfer set for the £230 they do for the Classic Mini, I'd be on it like sonic.. Purely for the noise!

Then all I'd want is a massively baffled exhaust and an 'Eco Friendly - Battery Powered' sticker on the bonnet :)

It does sound awesome though..

Cameron
Me having a gentle ride around Castle Combe trying not to get booted off for being too noisy with the screamer pipe. It is a dog box by the way before you all accuse me of changing gear like a tart.

Holy CRAP that's quick! :)

Batfink
XTrac made one for the 406 touring car, but expect to pay A LOT of money for one! The cheapest useable 2nd hand one on here is £7500, and expect to pay 5 figures for a new one.

You don't want to be spending that sort of money unless you have some serious modifications planned. A sequential 'box is only necessary if you're chasing hundredths of seconds on lap times, once the rest of the car has been properly sorted. Plus, as it will be dog engagement not synchromesh, it will be an absolute pig to drive on the road unless you absolutely master the gearchange - particularly downshifts! You'll also be replacing gear sets and dog rings quite often as they wear out.

Basically, unless you have vast piles of cash, forget about it! :)

I believe the sequential is easier than a standard dog box. You get a perfect gearchange every time. You can use the clutch to help prolong the life of the cogs as well.

The biggest problem will be the gearing and clutch mechanism. My clutch and flywheel are tiny so will not like slow speeds. First gear is going to be around 60-70mph top speed too ;)

Cameron

Nice! ;)

With a sequential box you can have flat shift* too. Mmm.. flat shift.

*Expensive aftermarket ECU, strain gauge and amplifier required! :)

swordfish210
Nice! :D

With a sequential box you can have flat shift* too. Mmm.. flat shift.

*Expensive aftermarket ECU, strain gauge and amplifier required! ;)

If the Formula Ford drivers want to flat shift all we do is grind off half (4 out of 8) of the dog teeth from the engagment ring to allow a bit of free play before it engages. It works a treat until the constant impacts wacks off the remaining teeth :)

One of the drivers i used to work with who raced a Radical Prosport used to flat shift that (1550cc Bike engine) You can also di it in a car with a really heavy flywheel and a lazy injection system :(

custard-rallye

that mini is mad :(

Batfink
If the Formula Ford drivers want to flat shift all we do is grind off half (4 out of 8) of the dog teeth from the engagment ring to allow a bit of free play before it engages. It works a treat until the constant impacts wacks off the remaining teeth :(

One of the drivers i used to work with who raced a Radical Prosport used to flat shift that (1550cc Bike engine) You can also di it in a car with a really heavy flywheel and a lazy injection system :ph34r:

Do you not have an electronic cut of the ignition for each gearchange or does that not really make a difference? Or is it the cut out is as short as possible to save time? I have a spring loaded gearknob/switch on my gearlever

swordfish210
Do you not have an electronic cut of the ignition for each gearchange or does that not really make a difference? Or is it the cut out is as short as possible to save time? I have a spring loaded gearknob/switch on my gearlever

Which car are we talking about here? Either way neither of the cars have one and seem to manage fine so i would say no.

GTI6BOY

Tom fenton - 2 boxes have ripped the input shaft bearing out the box. 1 has stripped 3rd gear and the 4th happened at usc...the gearbox mount ripped out the top of the box

GTI6BOY

My efi has the funtion to cut the engine so you can change gear with your foot flat down on the floor

Cameron

I saw an awesome flat-shift set up at FS Germany on a 911 cup car, it had the throttle cable running through the gear lever and a little pulley system that relieved some tension on the throttle cable as the sequential lever was pulled.

We had flat shift on our Formula Student car (running a R6 engine) too which was run through the ECU via a strain gauge on the shift lever. But that was running an incredibly expensive touring car ECU.

stefan
But that was running an incredibly expensive touring car ECU.

Which ECU, may I ask? (if it's not breaking professional confidentiality)

Cameron

It was a Life Racing one. Very tasty!

Jrod

Fairly nippy by the looks of it... :P

Love the mirror. :)

wracing

i run flat shift on my megasquirt setup, I'm sure it is not comparable but operates on a clutch switch (when above a certain setpoint) it cuts x spark in y events works great and keeps the turbo spooled thanks to the unburnt fuel. lol

James

Chompz

Well I never expected my topic to get this big! :lol:

miamichris
Me having a gentle ride around Castle Combe trying not to get booted off for being too noisy with the screamer pipe. It is a dog box by the way before you all accuse me of changing gear like a tart.

Turn up the volume and see if you could put up with the racket for long....

I love the way when it comes on boost the camera goes blurry, like its hit warp speed :lol:

stefan
I love the way when it comes on boost the camera goes blurry, like its hit warp speed :lol:

Well, it's cause it almost does hit warp speed!

God good all mighty, the speed! :o

Edited by stefan

Dj_mini

Were using the dta s40 shiftcut for my mates sadev this works well making the shifts very smooth takes a bit of getting right but one you do its awesome!

Tom Fenton

I must admit this did make me chuckle when I first played back the video!

stefan
Were using the dta s40 shiftcut for my mates sadev this works well making the shifts very smooth takes a bit of getting right but one you do its awesome!

By the way does someone know how much does the sadev be3 cost, do they sell a gearkit or you need to buy their gearbox?

Because on their site they give a spec and picture for a be3 box, but no price

GTI6BOY

You can have a £5000 straight cut box built which uses your own 5speed box and houses 6 gears

they also do a £12000 sequential box

swordfish210
they also do a £12000 sequential box

Bargain :lol:

brumster

Sadev do a slightly cheaper one if you're not punting out big torques (TopGearSpeak), probably more like £9-10k including diff, shafts and so forth. ST75-14. Safe up to about 200ft.lb's. Otherwise they do a bigger bugger safe up to 250ft.lb's but there's probably very few 205's that are putting out that sort of torque!

The rally car is crying out for one, but my missus is crying out for a new drive and car louder :lol:

Just on a pedantic side-point, a "sequential" box does not necessarily mean straight-cut. Sequential is purely a reference to the selector mechanism - the cut of the gears can still be helical. Engagement is by dog gears and, again, you can get a 'dog' box in either a conventional H-shift or a sequential. I think the Sadevs are still a helical cut gear - maybe a fairly agressive profile compared to a conventional helical gearbox, but I don't *think* they're straight-cut except on the bigger ST90-14 setup. I helped Andy Baker set up his in his 205 and they certainly are fun :o