• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mhyphenl

[car_restoration] New Restoration, Standard 8v 1.9 Gti

mhyphenl

I think you convinced me. I want to keep and run the car so it's worth doing it properly, I know the car won't stay mint but I kinda want the feeling of driving a brand new 205 Gti so really all perishables need replacing if poss!

2-Pugs

Nice work Martin.

Re. the garage, doesn't sound like it's very well ventilated, see if there is a way of letting some airflow through which should help.

Also if you would be kind enough to put a set of the bolts/washers/nuts aside for me I would be very grateful!

mhyphenl

Ok then after fitting new shafts its time to put the rear suspension together! I'm on my own so going to try and fit it a bit at a time rather than assembling and lifting into place, I know some of the bolts are hard to reach with a socket set when on the car but I've got tome ratchet spanners which should speed things up a little!

Firstly I've attached the beam and mounts but not torqued up! got the bolts that hold the tube into the brackets the wrong way round first time, there's only enough clearance on the front side for the bolt head and washer so i had to drop the bracket down and insert the bolt then push it back up.

post-12223-1293982484.gif

Then these bracket things were fitted. These were off the car originally, acid washed then plated, they really look brand new!

post-12223-1293982712.gif

I then fitted them by pushing the rubber mount end up through the boot floor first then rotating into position. The bolts are awkward to tighten as there is no room for a socket set on the top beam mount bolt so took ages with 2 spanners. It's on now though and looking good.

post-12223-1293982866.gif

Unfortunately at this point my camera gave up! I got as far as pushing in the trailing arms and torsion bars but just rough positionong as I now need to know the spacing required for standard ride height between the upper shock bolt and the lower one. I think its 330.5mm but the Haynes manual only mentions the XU5 setting, I'm assuming its the same for a late XU9 but clarification would be good! Anyone??

Once the ride height is set correctly I'll set to populating the hubs, breaks and brake lines to the front.

Thanks for watching! :unsure:

welshpug

if the front beam to body brackets are from a 1.9 make sure they go on the correct side of the car as the studs are offset, they place the beam about 5mm further forward than a 1.6 bracket.

they are marked with D and G.

jord294

G = n/s

D = o/s