• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mhyphenl

[car_restoration] New Restoration, Standard 8v 1.9 Gti

mhyphenl

Hi Everyone,

For a few years now I've spent endless hours reading this forum (while I should have been working!) and sorting bits out on my car. I've always been totally in awe of the projects that have been done on this forum and finally the inspiration has got the better of me and I've decided to go the whole 9 miles and do my own!

Background

Feel free to laugh but as a couple of people know on this forum, this 205 1.9 journey started out as a nearly total desaster. Ive always hat 205's since I could drive but due to insurance restrictions I had the GTX 1.4 models, 2 of them! After a couple of years of having a big lopeing company car I felt it necessary to get the boyhood dream car, my first 1.9 Gti. I wanted a high spec as I was going to use it every day and one came up on fleebay with AC, power steering, heated seats! In Black so I bid and got it!.

Long story short, I turned up on a trailer... at night... in the rain!!! It had no mot and came from Liverpool way but it did seem to start and roll of the trailer fine, I drove it round the block and seemed ok so paid the man a grand and off he went. I hardly slept that night in anticipation of driving it proudly to work the next day. In the morning it looked ok in and out, not perfect but not too bad. Tried to start it but nothing happened other than the starter turning. Had a look under the bonnett, all seemed fine and eventually started only to stop a mile later. Got it home in the end but the list of problems discovered over the next weeks grew quickly. Almost all the air con stuff was missing, the rear beam was bent, the ignition had been hashed to bypass all the sensors, fuel pump wired directly to the ignition, revving at 2000 when warm blah blah... :)

Lots of small repairs and shes been running fine but after a year of trouble free running I felt I really needed to make the car 100% spot on and mine so here it goes.

I didn't want to bother everyone with the strip down but here are a couple of pics that take it to its current stage..

Stripping the engine bay

post-12223-1282406046.jpg

Inside almost stripped - guess what colour it used to be :lol: didn't tell me that!

post-12223-1282406064.jpg

Eventually got to this, took weeks as most of the car has had to be hidden to avoid grief!!

post-12223-1282406070.jpg

It's really not in bad condition at all, very little rust, a little under the boot and inner wings but only surface. Also a leaky crack where the bulkhead joins the floor but easily sort as agiain its surface rust

The car is now at my father in laws having the underside stripped and re stone chipped and also the engine bay re sprayed. It's then got to come home while he does another job, I'll do the beams, subframes etc in the mean time.

It's a shame I didn't get any photos of the transfer, me and two mates walking down the road with the shell to put it on a flatbed! There really isn't that much weight in a totally bare shell!

Next up Beam refurb and attach!!

Edited by mhyphenl

mhyphenl

Ok bit of an update, been working on the underside of the car, there's quite alot of surface rust under the boot floor and where the tank goes. Pics below!

post-12223-1283009058.jpg

We cleaned off all of the loose underseal and rusty areas and treated with converter, we also cleaned all the underside with petrol to cut through the grime and check for more rust, luckily from the tank to the bulkhead there was none.Pic below showing the almost cleaned underside.

post-12223-1283009084.jpg

The whole lot was then primed then stonechipped, it's also going to have a coat of black paint as well but when the engine bay is preped.

post-12223-1283009122.jpg

post-12223-1283009105.jpg

The next job is to prep and prime the engine bay then paint it all black!!

cheers

Obey_R

Did you prime directly onto the underseal after a good cleaning? I will be doing it soon so just trying to get a plan sorted!

mhyphenl
Did you prime directly onto the underseal after a good cleaning? I will be doing it soon so just trying to get a plan sorted!

Yes, cleaned very thoroughly with petrol then scuffed it up a bit with a scourer then primed. Any areas with rust showing were stripped back and treated, we just fethered the edges to get a good even finish with stonechip!

2-Pugs

Good to see your write up Martin, I am impressed already :P

I am looking forward to following the write up as it progresses :D

mhyphenl

Sorry it's been such a long time in coming but here is an update! Finally got the engine bay ready to paint up, with other things to get done around the house I've been wanting to get to this for a couple of months, one because I love working on the car and two There's loads I can do in terms of rebuilding once its done.

Luckily there wasn't much in the way of corrosion, just surface rust mainly. The only problem area was in the crease where the inner wing meets the bulkhead on the drivers side. Pug obviously use seam sealent to fill the joint but over time it gets brittle and splits. This lets water into the gap and lets it run along the floor pan to bulkhead joint. This has happened on mine and started to show as a split in the seam sealant on the inside lower bulkhead. Shown in the piccy.

post-12223-1290461674.gif

We cut back the sealant cleaned her up and treated with anti rust then sealed back up when dry. On the engine bay side there was loads of gunged up sealant just trapping in moisture so we dug back to the original, poured in inhibitor, let it dry for ages the some waxoil to repel moisture then again after a few days a little new seam sealant. Unfortunately no pics of the seam repair!

Then lots of sanding and cleaning.

post-12223-1290461685.gif

Then a nice barrier layer to prevent any reaction to old paint etc. I really love the look of a flat clean surface!!

post-12223-1290461992.gif

Then on to the primer, again it looks great, almost a shame to paint it black!

post-12223-1290462116.gif

And finally the coat of black.

post-12223-1290462276.gif

All I have to do now is decide to give it a couple of layers of laquer to match the boywork or leave it flat. I kind of like it flat!

Next update should be soon as I have certain bit already under way!

Cheers

jord294

very impressive martin :)

SurGie

Good work, its looking very nice.

What product is the barrier layer you used ?

dale205mills

Keep up the good work, I repainted and replaced everything on the underside of mine at the start of the year

mhyphenl
Good work, its looking very nice.

What product is the barrier layer you used ?

Hi Surgie,

I have to be honest, I picked it up from Morleys, a local auto paint supplies place on instruction of my dad in law! I asked for Dupont barrier coat so thats what it is as far as I know. Thanks for the comments BTW. :angry:

mhyphenl

Just a quick update now all the bits are coming together. I had a reefurb beam of Jord294 which i've tarted up to look original!

post-12223-1292440497.gif

My trailing arms and torsion bars and a few other bits come back from the powder coaters tomorrow weather permitting so I'll get the new shafts fitted and post that lot up!

2-Pugs

Looking really good Martin. I must drop you a line soon and catch up!

Is it wrong of me to say one of the things I am most envious of is the pit in your garage! :mellow:

mhyphenl
Looking really good Martin. I must drop you a line soon and catch up!

Is it wrong of me to say one of the things I am most envious of is the pit in your garage! :mellow:

Not mine I'm afraid though I wish it was! It's my father in laws! Luckily I can use it pretty much whenever but at the moment I'm back at home, Axle stands on concrete blocks :angry:

jord294

looks well martin

what paint did you use on top of the powdercoat ? or did you strip the main tube to repaint ?

SurGie

Looking good.

What paint code did you use for the yellow, is it the original colour Peugeot used ?

mhyphenl
Looking good.

What paint code did you use for the yellow, is it the original colour Peugeot used ?

Thanks guys, I just rubbed the powder coat back a bit to key, put a coat of the barrier I used on the engine bay then used the closest match halfords paint i could find having looked at a few beams on here! No problems with reactions or flaking as yet. It's not the original paint code and neither are the torsion bars but they should be close. Hopefully I'll get chance to upload the pics of the other bits tonight.

mhyphenl

Ok, just wanted to get the images of the sorted suspension parts before they go on the car. Firstly the beam and mounts. I had the beam itself as a refurb off jord294. I then painted it as close to the original yellow I could get in a can from halfords. The mounts were de rusted and plated with a zinc / yellow passivator as original. I also managed to get hold of the correct Zinc/yellow bolts, washers and nyloc nuts, Peugeot can only now supply non plated versions which wouldn't last 5 mins! I did all the bolts for the beam parts but had to buy in quantity so there may be a group buy post for sets of bolts washers and nuts if anyone's interested.

post-12223-1292780524.gif

post-12223-1292780534.gif

I also had the torsion bars cleaned up and powdercoated along with a load of other bits which I'll post as and when. I just need to put the yellow marks on the bars now!

As for the trailing arms, these were blasted and coated after I had the stub axels and shafts pressed out at my local! The guys down the road then pressed them back in and put new cups on for me to give a good seal.

post-12223-1292780506.gif

post-12223-1292780499.gif

In total with all the beam parts coated / plated including loads of bits you're yet to see all I've had to pay out is £20 for plating and £30 for blasting and powder coating, oh and a tenner to get all the pressing done! Not bad at all for something that now looks new. Wait until you see all the other bits :lol::blush::D

Edited by mhyphenl

davey sprocket

Definitely interested in nuts, bolts and washers... I was just wondering about those for mine :lol:

I'm hoping a blaster/ coater will be able to mask off the shafts to do the trailing arms?

mhyphenl
Definitely interested in nuts, bolts and washers... I was just wondering about those for mine :rolleyes:

I'm hoping a blaster/ coater will be able to mask off the shafts to do the trailing arms?

I'm sure they could, I'm just being a bit anal about it really, if it can come apart it is!! ;) (Oh apart fron the bump stops! Mine are in good nick but they weren't coming off!)

As for the nuts bolts etc, I'll come up with a price for the 8 bolts etc to do all the mounts and braces for the beam!

On a different note, I'm eager to get some of this on the car but in this cold there seems to be a problem with condensation in the garage. Anyone got a solution? I don't want to ruin all the shiny bits at least before its all finished!

tomcolinjones
On a different note, I'm eager to get some of this on the car but in this cold there seems to be a problem with condensation in the garage. Anyone got a solution? I don't want to ruin all the shiny bits at least before its all finished!

a large bowl half filled with salt, over a week it had dried out the underlay in my old 205! it is hygroscopic you see.

Miles

Those pins look worn in those pic's, Should be a nice shiny surface without bearing marks in them.

Any bolts left over I could be intrested in the lot

jord294

as above ^^^^^^

i think to do a proper job, a new pair of shafts are needed

mhyphenl
as above ^^^^^^

i think to do a proper job, a new pair of shafts are needed

I admit the picture does suggest that but on close inspection there is only very slight 'polishing' where the original bearings were, the beam i took apart was in good working order, there's certainly no tangible wear and they're still a very tight fit! Having said that you guys have had way more experience in this and that may constitute significant wear! What would you consider acceptable considering the £150+ to get new ones?

Miles

Depends on how long your going to keep it really, Short term then it should be Ok or long term I would replace them and you'll know they won;t be touched again for 10 years

welshpug

£100 off ebay for a pair if they have any left :mellow: