• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TU_Later

1900 Gti Rebuild

TU_Later

Sadly, after my oil pump died and my top end siezed.. I had to rebuild the lot :(

I was looking foward to knowing the engine's gonna be running sweet as a nut, and I'd be able to fix all the little problems on the way as well (SAD blocked, New AFM ect).. Untill yesterday..

After fitting new Bottom End Shells, Rings, A new Piston, Gaskets, A Recon Cylinder Head, New Filters, Plugs, Leads, A 1600 Flywheel, Gaskets, A 4 into 1 Magnex Manifold, A new Oil Pump and Chain, Cambelt (I think that's it ;) ) we attempted to turn the engine over and with a spot of luck, witness a start up for the first time in a month! BUT, it sounded rough as a dog! I advanced the timing all the way, and it sounded as if i needed to turn the dizzy even more to get it to pick up :S.. The timing was right i'm sure, I wasn't 180 deg. out or anything silly like that, but it definately didn't wanna run and soudned like a lawn mower :)

After that I gave up and went to work, and my father cracked on with it instead.. Next thing I know he's led underneath it pulling off a sump thats full of fresh coolant and oil :( Apparently, It went bang and didnt sound the best, he said there was oil leaking from around the head as well.

Basically, when I picked up the recon head i was told it had about 10 miles on it before it was removed, and for some reason my father had decided one morning to fit my head whilst I was working and didn't get the head skimmed (We had a huge argument :)) and then I left him too it.. So i'm hoping that the head gaskets the cause of all the oil and coolant mixing..

Another problem it might be is that i've managed to get the pistons around the wrong way! The letters 'DIST' and an arrow I'm sure were pointing towards the cambelt end of the engine, and so the Haynes manual says so.. But when I bought my other piston I was told that DIST points towards the dizzy (Which would make sense I suppose)..

So now I've got the next two days off of work and the weekend to try to get it going again, I've got an engine crane, But ideally I need a stand too..

If anyone in the Bristol area are willing to give a helping hand or just some advice would be greatly appreciated, as right now I'm feeling pretty useless and defeated by my French Car :)

I'll post pictures too.. So you can all point and laugh :lol:B)

Steve

Cloverleaf

'Dist' and the arrow point towards the cambelt end...apparently it's a French abreviation for something else and has no relation to the distributor.

TU_Later

Cracking on with it now.. Engine out in a couple of hours :)

post-14938-1282227364_thumb.jpg

TU_Later

Before the head came off..

post-14938-1282227820_thumb.jpg

This baffled me too..

post-14938-1282227970_thumb.jpg

Untill I finally found the C**T.

post-14938-1282228229.jpg

TU_Later

post-14938-1282228819_thumb.jpg

URGH. So has anyone got a spare piston and liner? :)

I hate cars. And don't ask how it got in there, this was the point that my old man put the head on the block.. f*** knows. Eff my life, more money ;)

Tom Fenton

Bugger, at least you found the problem though.

TU_Later

Thanks Mike! I'll put an M12 up your jacksy :lol:

Mate, do you think I could drive down to yours tomorrow? It's quicker both ends then, so you're not waiting about for the cash for the pistons and liner.. And I've got the weekend to crack on with it then :lol:!

TU_Later

Talk about running sweet as a nut..

mikeygulley
Thanks Mike! I'll put an M12 up your jacksy ;)

HA! :rolleyes:

welshpug

what makes you say the oil pump failed?

they are said to be pretty long lasting in a pug.

TU_Later

It tends to fail quite easily without a sump guard.. haha

TU_Later

Engine's in!

Got everything wired up and plugged in (The right way, at one point we had to grey connectors completely identical but for two completely different things connected.. Which caused a small electrical fire by the passenger headlight.. Quickly disconnected the batt and re-wired, and put the two connectors the right way around after routing the problem).

Needing two relays now because the Spark and Fuel Pump weren't coming in, I took a trip to the local pug breakers who happened to have two 1.6 GTI's. So i picked up another AFM and more relays than you can shake a stick at.

Got home, first turn over! It idles lovely, the SAD actually works now I've cleaned it out so I have a choke which is nice! The engine itself ticks over and revs smoothly, with loads of induction, haha.. And SO MUCH COMPRESSION! :D Standing behind my backbox is like standing behind a KTM 450 backbox ;)

BUT:

The only problem being, after I tried to pull away, I found the clutch is now slipping like mad :mellow:

I can't work out why, because i stoned the face of the new flywheel DEAD flat and clean.. And the clutch in there before wasnt bad at all! Although it could have been better..

But anyway.. My kind brothers boss is letting me use a ramp tomorrow morning to fit my new clutch.

I'll upload pictures as soon as i find some battery's for my SLR..

Oh and the tax is now out. So yeah, you could say I'm pretty unlucky lately! :)

Sign in to follow this