• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrMemzi

205 Gti 1.6 Performance Upgrades

MrMemzi

I was just wondering if anybody can send me the right way. What would be the best way to gain power from the 1.6 engine. exact parts would be great :D

Daviewonder

It depends on how far you want to go to be honest and how much you want to spend. I personally think the ultimate 1.6 would be Mr Fentons Clicky :D

boldy205

do you want to use the car for rallying racing etc, therefore are you restricted on modifications etc, im sure if you know your onions, or have, dare i say it, searched!, you will know £ for £, if you are unrestricted, an engine swap is on the cards. I looked into upgrading my 8V 1.9, and it would cost a LOT more than a Mi16 conversion, needless to say, thats what i done!

Other than that, its a route of carbs/throttle bodies, camshaft (you can use 'bigger' camshafts when on carbs etc as the AFM on a GTi doesent like the pulsing from big camshafts, i think)

Std heads are pretty good, providing its not one of the first 105BHP engines.

Or a Turbo of course!

Matt

welshpug

you're not that restricted when rallying, pretty much anything goes bar turbo's really.

mine would be a throttle bodied 16 valve XU build, not a simple one with a lot of custom work in it, I think it would be an interesting project.

based on the standard lump without taking it apart you're limited to mild cams, if you up the compression you can go a little wilder, but you're limited by the engine management then.

harryskid
It depends on how far you want to go to be honest and how much you want to spend. I personally think the ultimate 1.6 would be Mr Fentons Clicky B)

Thanks Daviewonder for putting this on as i've not seen it and i would like to say what a clever lad Tom is. A great standard of work he should be very proud of it. :D

large

I think the first thing we need to ask is why do you want more power, what do you use the car for?

MrG

as what many others said, the way I worked mine out was this way

q) what do I want to do with the car?

ans) track use primarily and the odd bit of road use (to and from the venue)

q) chaneg the engine or keep the 8v?

ans) keep the 8v.

q) how much do I spend?

ans) around £750 at the time!!

q) do I do the work myself or let others do it?

ans) I want to do it, so the simplest method open is the way I need to go.

So armed with the above I did a search and it was the carbs that came up favourable, I liked the idea, was something I could do myself so thats the route I went down. I'm useless with electrics/wiring etc so the initial work was fairly easy, it was the engine going bang on me not long after that upset the calcs somewhat, still I did it.

However one thing I have learnt though is on track power is all well and good but if the car has decent brakes and a good suspension fitted then that more than makes up for a lower power output. So the first question should help you move in the right direction.

MrMemzi

I like the carbs idea. but is it still reliable? also what carbs would you recommend?

The reason i want more power is purely a love for BHP the more you get the more you want, just an every day car btw

MrG

I'm not tempting fate by answering that question :lol:

I'm running 45 dcoe weber carbs and associated headwork, all does for me and the noise is fabulous!

boldy205

Another vote for carbs, they stink and they are noisy! Not sure if carbs alone will make any more power, but as mentioned, that or throttle bodies will enhance further power related mods.

As stated many times before, handling is where its at in these little cars, little things like renewing all the suspension bushes with hard rubber/polybushes will help. Check out BBM (Bakers Bushes and Mounts) Very helpfull company, even if its just for some new engine mounts for the supercharged Mi16 your going to fit!! Hint Hint!

Matt

large
I like the carbs idea. but is it still reliable? also what carbs would you recommend?

The reason i want more power is purely a love for BHP the more you get the more you want, just an every day car btw

So the cheapest way to get more BHP and more reliability would be to fit a GTi6 or Mi16 lump.

Then you can look at moding them to get even more power.

projectpug

If you do use carbs you might as well cam it at the same time(you can still get a rock steady idle on even the mod lairy of cams). Soemthing like a ~piper 285 spec on a set of 45's set up correctly will give a very torquey car which enjoys to rev a bit more than standard. They sound great too, however they can require fettling a little more often than a standard injection set-up.

MrG

but like many have said by the time you've bought the carbs, sorted them out, installed them, had them set up, you could have replaced the whole lot with a GTi6 or an Mi and have more power on tap from word go. Then you can start to mod that. I just decided to stick with the 8v.

MrMemzi

Is there any difference on the 1.6 cam and the 1.9?

Sign in to follow this