• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shaundean

Turns Over But No Spark

shaundean

Just gone out to my 1.9gti to go to the shops with the missus, put the battery back in because I had it out to charge last night, turned key fired for a second then cut out. turning key again turns the engine but no spark.

Left it for 20-30 mins and got the same again, fires for a second, cuts out then turns but no spark.

Does anyone know what can be causing this? I have fuel in it and the pump is whirring so not fuel, i changed the rad yesterday but it worked when i drove it round to test it. I'm assuming its electrical which isn't my strong point.

HERMAN
Just gone out to my 1.9gti to go to the shops with the missus, put the battery back in because I had it out to charge last night, turned key fired for a second then cut out. turning key again turns the engine but no spark.

Left it for 20-30 mins and got the same again, fires for a second, cuts out then turns but no spark.

Does anyone know what can be causing this? I have fuel in it and the pump is whirring so not fuel, i changed the rad yesterday but it worked when i drove it round to test it. I'm assuming its electrical which isn't my strong point.

Does the alarm embolize the coil?

You need to get it sorted because I need a lift to Ashby on Tuesday.

welshpug

check you have power at the coil, its a switched ignition live and as mentioned may be interrupted by an alarm if it has one.

shaundean
Does the alarm embolize the coil?

You need to get it sorted because I need a lift to Ashby on Tuesday.

it got going after an hour or so. So fingers crossed it'll be ok for tuesday.

check you have power at the coil, its a switched ignition live and as mentioned may be interrupted by an alarm if it has one.

as above, it got going so i've not checked anything yet. As I said in the OP i changed the radiator yesterday so may have splashed a bit of water when re-filling the header tank and it took a while for it to evaporate off. If the immobiliser stops it, it wouldn't turn over though (I assume) so it wasn't a suspect at the time. I've got to get an multimeter to check the alternator so i'll check out the coil now too. :ph34r:

welshpug

mine still turns over, just doesn't run!

porter_bmx

same problem here, thinking it could be ignition module?? mine will be fine for a while but then drops the revs cuts out and no start. the joys of owning a 205 lol

mickie

looking at the coil, check for 12v DC on negative and positive, with ignition switch on..

check for 12v at the ignition module, biggest red wire and that you have an earth, checking continuity from earth to mudual to body(earth).yellow/white wire

while turning it over, check your AC (alternating curent) from your crank sensor or dizzy. you should get a reading of some sort

this is what you should have for each bit

HERMAN

Sounds like you got the HT lead wet to me. Pull the HT lead off the coil and give it a good clean out and dry and maybe a spray of wd40.

I will see you tomorrow at Craig's all being well.

Neil

Carbs4me

its the ignition amp, i had this problem about 2 month ago, except i manged to bump mine down a pretty big hill which it would only rev properly without missing at 4k rev's.. mine kept firing up then cutting out almost intant with the foot down.

PS... DO NOT BUY ANY OTHER IGNITION AMP, bare the standard boosh one! the aftermarket parts cause idle problems, and it gets worse when having lights on heaters radio etc!

the location of the amp is under your header tank, if i remember rightly its 2 8mm bolts

shaundean

Thanks for the advice. It is now starting OK again so I think it was a bit of a damp connection as I posted above.

I won't be buying any new parts unless they brake at the minute cos of money and I could be loosing my job but I will bear it in mind if it plays up again.

Yeah I found it when hunting around on Sunday and then got told last night that its upside down ;) (the HT and other connections are pointing upwards???)

maturin23
its the ignition amp, i had this problem about 2 month ago, except i manged to bump mine down a pretty big hill which it would only rev properly without missing at 4k rev's.. mine kept firing up then cutting out almost intant with the foot down.

PS... DO NOT BUY ANY OTHER IGNITION AMP, bare the standard boosh one! the aftermarket parts cause idle problems, and it gets worse when having lights on heaters radio etc!

the location of the amp is under your header tank, if i remember rightly its 2 8mm bolts

It COULD be the ignition amp, but it certainly isn't DEFINITELY the problem.

Don't potentially waste your cash by replacing it unless you've tested it and know for sure (borrow one that does work).

Rob_the_Sparky

Just to make things more complicated...ignition amp testers are not perfect. I spent a long time trying to figure out why one of my cars would not start (no sign of it ever firing) after the AA man used an ignition amp tester and gave it a clean bill of health - a bum steer it turned out.

Rob

Sign in to follow this