• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Antix

Air Flow Meter Query [205 Cti 1.9]

Antix

Hello!

I'm new to this ..

... my 1992 (reg: April 22nd) 205 CTI 1.9 (cat) is lumpy on tickover, and kangaroos at revs.

I was advised to replace my air flow meter.

Just bought a secondhand one [bosch ref: 0280 202 109] which appears to be the correct one for my car.

I currently have a Bosch 0280 202 056 on the car, which appears to be for a 1.6 GTI/CTI.

Have I got the right part? [0280 202 109] and would the 1.6 GTI/CTI one be the reason for it hopping?

Oh yeah, when I change it the vendor told me to have the ignition in the 'ON' position to remove it?

Cheers,

Ant

Tom Fenton

Are you 100% that it is a CAT equipped car? As if I remember right, a CAT car will not have either of the air flow meter part numbers you mention.

You do not need the ignition in the ON position. I do not know why you have been told this. Personally I would have it in the OFF position to change any engine electrical components.

Antix
Are you 100% that it is a CAT equipped car? As if I remember right, a CAT car will not have either of the air flow meter part numbers you mention.

You do not need the ignition in the ON position. I do not know why you have been told this. Personally I would have it in the OFF position to change any engine electrical components.

AFAIK the CTI 1.9 was only available with a cat (105hp), and I assume mine is one of them.

It has an aluminium cover on the exhaust, at the front.

Engine number CW980103025

Miles

Yes 99% of 1.9 CTi's had a Cat and Jetronic fitted, It's another odd system but with the Lambda fitted they run sweat as compared to the std system.

I'm sure the 109 AFM is for a std 130bhp car so that will be wrong without looking but I;m sure a search would bring this up.

I;ve broken a few of these so I should have the right AFM somewhere

welshpug

109 is standard Jetronic :huh:

not sure what the Cat Jetronic AFM part number is, I found this for the ecu;

Bosch LU2 Jetronic 0 280 000 345 (LE2 non cat is 340 for 1.6, 359 for 1.9)

is it the 9j1 or AZ engine? I think the former, so the pug part number is 1920 70 (1920 93 if the latter)

Edited by welshpug

Weser

Hi,

It just so happens I had a problem with my cti 1.6 but it was kangrooing on low revs or steady revs. I hooked it up to a emissions checker and it was running really lean! I took the top of the Air Flow Meter and clicked the dial round (anti clockwise) until it was running to what the book stated. I marked it up before doing it.

When I took it out for a spun it was a different car. So much better. Maybe this could help you? I don't know just a suggestion.

In my opinion though a 1.6 AFM on a 1.9 would make it run lean. And I changed my meters with the ignition off.

Antix
109 is standard Jetronic :huh:

not sure what the Cat Jetronic AFM part number is, I found this for the ecu;

Bosch LU2 Jetronic 0 280 000 345 (LE2 non cat is 340 for 1.6, 359 for 1.9)

is it the 9j1 or AZ engine? I think the former, so the pug part number is 1920 70 (1920 93 if the latter)

Thanks for all of that Welshpug!

I presume that it's just the AFM I need to change and not the ECU as well?

The engine is XU9J1/DFZ

Antix
Hi,

It just so happens I had a problem with my cti 1.6 but it was kangrooing on low revs or steady revs. I hooked it up to a emissions checker and it was running really lean! I took the top of the Air Flow Meter and clicked the dial round (anti clockwise) until it was running to what the book stated. I marked it up before doing it.

When I took it out for a spun it was a different car. So much better. Maybe this could help you? I don't know just a suggestion.

In my opinion though a 1.6 AFM on a 1.9 would make it run lean. And I changed my meters with the ignition off.

Thanks Weser

So a normal MOT station would have an emissions checker I guess?

I'll take it in on Monday and have a word with them :huh:

Weser

Yer they should do mate. I'm quite lucky my dad is a mechanic and has the gear.

When I hooked it up I checked the the CO content and it was 0.25%. I checked this against a old technical data book and for my 1.6 engine it was supposed to be 1%. So I upped it. Once I had it at 1% I made sure the CO2 content and HC content were all in acceptable range because otherwise it would fail the next mot! I had to lower the idle because adding more fuel in increases the idle rate. Make sure you do it once you have warmed the engine up! And always take it for a spin once it's done make sure it runs ok and recheck the emissions!

Also take great care when turning the dial on the AFM is very delicate!!!

Antix
Yer they should do mate. I'm quite lucky my dad is a mechanic and has the gear.

When I hooked it up I checked the the CO content and it was 0.25%. I checked this against a old technical data book and for my 1.6 engine it was supposed to be 1%. So I upped it. Once I had it at 1% I made sure the CO2 content and HC content were all in acceptable range because otherwise it would fail the next mot! I had to lower the idle because adding more fuel in increases the idle rate. Make sure you do it once you have warmed the engine up! And always take it for a spin once it's done make sure it runs ok and recheck the emissions!

Also take great care when turning the dial on the AFM is very delicate!!!

Cheers again Weser

I might be popping down to Essex now then :huh: LOL

I'll bung the new AFM in and see what difference it makes (if any) first, then 'take it from there'!

Thanks again

Sign in to follow this