• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pugnut

1.6 Gti - Looking At Buying

Pugnut

I've got the itch again! A pretty good nick 1.6gti this time.

I bought a phase II in 1994, which except being a phase II was identical to this one. Now, this 1.6 has cropped up on pistonheads which very close to me. Hopefully it isn't sold, and i'll arrange viewing this weekend.

This would be a purchase from the heart, so as far as the cost goes, i would probably go for it. My question is, are 1.6's commanding this kind of price these days. I looked at a ph2 grot box tonight, and the guy was asking 1300. The same car would have been less than £500 a couple of years ago.

Here's a link to the car: http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1867139.htm (if its your car, then please get in touch)

for the record i think i payed 3995 for my 1.6 back in 1994 !

cheers, Al

davey205

I wouldn't know but I should think a 1.6 would be much less highly sort after than a 1.9.

I paid £1700 2 years ago, 71,000 and pretty much a minter but it helped that it was my Uncles friend and they were planning on extending the lounge into the garage - doing away with her home.

To be honest that price does seem a little high but maybe they have gone up in value.

Dazza

The car seems to be a straight little thing, nice history file and known ownership details always a bonus.

I had a car in that trim back in the day also 1989 F plate 1.6 GTI and loved it, looking at the shots the obvious bolster sag is there and we only get a single sided photo that said it would be quite unexpected for this car not to be a nice little investment given the description.

Go have a look and you'll be parting with the cash.....again...!

Richie

Your not going to get a better 1.6 really, go for it :)

u47sb2

Prices definitely seem to be on the up these days. There was a while about a year ago when a 1.6 with long MOT, good mechanicals and reasonable bodywork could be had for <£1k but they now seem to be going for nearer £1500.

zebedy101

I picked up my 1.6 this just over a year ago, I paid £400 for it. It had tax and test and minimal rot on it. Since then you cannot seem to get a decent Gti for anywhere near that money.

Miles

A little too much, A mate just sold a J plate S Green one with a shade over 40k on it for 2.5k last week.

Pugnut

Cheers for the replies folks. I've decided that 2995 is too much at the moment. I initial set myself a 2k budget, so i think i should just stick to it.

A bit of patience and a train ticket could get me a great car for 2k (Dazza ;) )