• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
harryskid

Vts Engine Let Me Down Again

harryskid

Help, after my problems with the tps i thought i'd sorted the problems. I was due to do the Fat Albert stages tomorrow but as we put the car on the trailer my mate said move it back a bit, so i went to start it and for got it was in gear so it stalled. Tried to restart and it would'nt. After a few more attempts it back fired and started but ran lumpy popping and banging and wont tick over. I've checked the throttle body and checked the gasket as i wondered if it was letting in air but no. The exchaust smelt a bit funney so i wondered if i had stale fuel so i changed the fuel but still no use. This is the same as when it played up on the last rally when i stalled it, though that time the engine was hot and after replacing the tps it seemed ok. Also to night it had blue flames in the exchaust. Can any one help, i'am stuck. Needless to say we will miss the rally and a £200 entry fee so i'am a bit miffed at the moment. ;)

welshpug

you've got 10 hours till scrutineering, you'll be fiiine!

harryskid
you've got 10 hours till scrutineering, you'll be fiiine!

No we have had it, the cars back firing and wont even tick over an then even we would have an 80 mile drive to get there. I haven't even any spare sensors and i'am only a novice on these engines.

Tom Fenton

Has it blown the resonance chamber out of the bottom of the inlet manifold when it back fired?

harryskid
Has it blown the resonance chamber out of the bottom of the inlet manifold when it back fired?

No Tom thats seems ok!

davepug205

Sorry to hear your still having trouble! It really was a fault-free engine for me. Are all the earths 100% and it would be worth checking all the conections to the different sensors.

It sounds like something is putting it into limp mode? I would defiantly say its electrical.

Alastairh

Have you tried re setting the ECU?

harryskid
Sorry to hear your still having trouble! It really was a fault-free engine for me. Are all the earths 100% and it would be worth checking all the conections to the different sensors.

It sounds like something is putting it into limp mode? I would defiantly say its electrical.

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply ia'm sure the motors good when it works it goes like a rocket and the elects on the car have been a night mare. Will do the earth checks, we are all knackered at the moment.

Cheers mate ;)

harryskid

Have you tried re setting the ECU?

Hi mate i dont know how to do that!

luggy

Might be of some help but its been know on the TU5JP4 engine, which is in Citroen VTR and a few others, excess cranking can indicate a faulty CTS. I know its a different engine just wondering if electically they're wire up the same?.

Hope you get it sorted in time ;)

gowmonster

jumped a tooth?

harryskid
jumped a tooth?

We are thinking that now but its a B with the engine in. Is this a common thing with these engines? Does it mean every time i stall it this will happen?. Also we have no diagnostic plug to the ecu which would help, so i think i need to speak to Spikey about getting one of his looms. :)

Miles

Jumping teeth is rare, Maybe if the belt is as slack as ......

It could be a loom issue, I know on a old S16 it just stopped working one day for no reason but everything checked out OK, Swaped the loom and all was OK

You need the early loom with the diag plug which plug's onto the ECU cover, The OBD ones need abit more work and wires wiring in for them.

But even then it doesn;t always tell you whats up, Is the Diag light connected at all?

harryskid

Thanks Miles, no i don't think it is but the loom is a bit of a mess.I think i will take your advise on the loom though but do you think i should check the cam belt?

mikeyd

sod it!--we wondered where you were today --sorry to hear youve got more problems mate fwiw there were a lot of retirements there

hope you get it sorted soon!!!

harryskid
sod it!--we wondered where you were today --sorry to hear youve got more problems mate fwiw there were a lot of retirements there

hope you get it sorted soon!!!

Hi Mike

The car went sick when we were getting it on the trailer and still is sick at the moment.How did you and Geoff get on, ihope you got got over your misfire problems.

Cheers mate ;):huh:

mikeyd

not bad-38th oa 4 th in class ----with 6 year old tyres!![now dead at last!]

the missfire at 3 counties was a knackered exhaust valve[and another showing signs of following suit] failing h/gasket and severe cam wear[1.5 mm off one lobe] it was quicker to fit another head so bought an engine from davey sprocket for 20 quid and stuck it on!

even chucked together -its not been on a rolling road -just set up by ear and adjusted not to pink we still took 25 seconds out of the car in front on ss1 /passed 2 cars at once into one chiccane and out accelerated [and outbraked]a 16 v 206

all in all a brilliant days rallying

now looking at building a new engine as this one had 85 thousand on when fitted and has done 20 or so rallies and now breathes a bit heavily!!

harryskid

Well done mate, hope to see you on the next on providing i can get this thing to run right! :)

harryskid

Have found the fault, when it back fired it blew a core plug in the inlet manifold. This was traced with a leak down test.The problem will most likely happen again unless i get rid of the crap loom. Also the vts ecu which with so many sensors not connected wants to run limp mode. So i'am having it rewired and fitting an Emerald ecu to get the best from this engine and also reliable use. This will also allow me to run throttle bodies at a later date . The first thing that came to mind was to just get another xsara loom and run like that but when it was explained about the ecu noticing missing sensors and causing error codes, i changed my mind. Its going to mean i have to spend more but in the long term the engine will have better performance and run correctly. I hope.

welshpug

these don't have a limp home mode afik, what sensors are missing?

Alastairh

As welshy said, what are you missing? I have a spare Phase 1 VTS loom if you were to reconsider.

Al

harryskid

The one in the exchaust, the wrong nox one and loads of plugs and wires not connected. The whole lots a bloody mess and a rewire will make things simpler and also can get rid of some un needed sensors. Apparently its effecting the running of the engine.

welshpug

that's the lambda sensor, not used by the ecu on cold start or WOT, but all other times.

what other sensors do you mean? I can't think of any that you can just removed bar the brown one, but that's not linked to the ecu at all, all the others are needed!!

Tom Fenton

<Insert comment of your choice here>

harryskid
<Insert comment of your choice here>

I did not know what you meant. I got some advise from a guy that dos alot of high performance cars mostly rally cars and hes got a rolling road. A very good bloke by all accounts and i've only just found out from my mate he won tec of the year once.

Sign in to follow this