• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PhilNW

Intermittant Starting Fault

PhilNW

I keep getting a problem starting, if car is left for say a week sometimes car will not start, will turn over no problem but not start - no spark

If I add a jump start battery it will then start suggests small increase in voltage is needed?

Problem got worse this weekend and would not start even with jump start, then suddenly fired after 3 hours of checking wiring and swapping components

Think it might be the ignition module (amplifier), tried swapping other componenets but made no difference and did not have an spare ignition module

Have noticed that when it refuses to start the rev counter does not flicker, so I guess the signal on the rev counter is linked to spark generator but not sure what gives the signal to the rev counter

Any ideas/thoughts before I swap the ignition module

Cheers

Phil

Rob_the_Sparky

I've had experience with an intermittant starting problem that turned out to be the ignition amp. It would randomly refuse to start with no obvious pattern, gradually doing it with inreasing frequency until it eventually gave up altogether. Once started though it always ran faultlessly

If I'm right then more battery voltage would make sense as the faster the engine spins the bigger the signal from the hall sensors in the distributer and with this type of failure it does seem to be a ignition amp input sensitivity issue.

Rob

Sign in to follow this