• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
muddatrucker

'classic Cars'

Fox

I have to admit, I own a half share in a MGB with my Dad, it is a V8 though... :unsure:

I'll get my coat.

Duroc
Can't be that bad

However, I think this can......

:unsure:

L-Reliant-Scimitar-SS1.jpg

oli-pug

The 2CV :unsure: Really can't put into words how much I hate the damn things!

Simes
The 2CV :unsure: Really can't put into words how much I hate the damn things!

Again a matter of preference...I like old cars and don't really care much for modern kit.

I like these and am looking forward to having a drive in my dad's one that is in mid restoration.

He's restoring a 1958 version with the early ripple bonnet and no windows in the rear quarter.

425cc - vmax - 42mph!!

speed sensitive wipers

Inboard discs

Clever steering and suspension arangement.

But it's all about the experience.

2713850860056984843S425x425Q85.jpg

Fox
speed sensitive wipers

Are these the ones driven by the gearbox that stop when parked in traffic?

God, I even know a geeky fact about 2CV's now! And I dont even bloody like them!

Edited by Fox

flipperthebushkangaroo

Quite like 2CV's as they are unusual would never own one though.

Love old mini's as does my son, i was thinking of getting an old banger mini to practice welding on (although can't remember the last time i saw one for less than £500 for a total wreck) and for my son to learn to work on but not sure now it's almost guarenteed death if you crash in one so do i really want him driving one (not soon though he's only 11!!)

As most others not keen on Vdubz!!! especially the "scene"

HERMAN

I think people should be aloud to like what they want.

I was telling a bloke about my 205 the other day and he thought they were crap. Poor build quality, poor wiring and often unreliable.

Simes
Are these the ones driven by the gearbox that stop when parked in traffic?

God, I even know a geeky fact about 2CV's now! And I dont even bloody like them!

Yep - driven by the speedo cable!

Classic :)

swordfish210

VW Beetle

Whats the point

jackherer

I have respect for anyone that I can see has put the work and money into keeping an older car running, doesn't matter what it is really.

danpug
I have respect for anyone that I can see has put the work and money into keeping an older car running, doesn't matter what it is really.

Yep my sentiments exactly.

MrG
but not sure now it's almost guarenteed death if you crash

they're not THAT bad, I've had my fair share of accidents in my Minis (competition and on the road) and am still here! The thing thats not on their side today is their size, the average car/driver would not see them as they're so small in comparison (personally cars are getting way too big today but I digress).

I'd have another Mini, but it'd need to be a 1275s Mk3 and they're mega bucks.

24seven

I quite like old beetles and camper vans, and I would pay 25k for one over that Ferrari. They're style icons from an era that so many would like to go back to, or (like myself) wish they'd been part of. They're dead easy to work on so are great fu tinkerers.

Anthony

Couldn't have put it better myself - I might not like or desire some of the cars, but credit to the people that do and have put blood, sweat and money into keeping them on the road in our increasingly throw-away society. These cars - be they good, bad, or indifferent - are our heritiage, our history, and once they are all gone, so to is that tiny part of our past.

Beastie

Amen to that. A chap up the road has an immaculate early Allegro in regular use... and I find myself viewing the whole setup with great fondness :ph34r:

Henry Yorke

We saw a really mint Triumph Acclaim in beige at Hope motorshow with 59k on the clock. I cannot think of a more unclassic classic, but appreciated it being there all the same!

GLPoomobile

I find the name Triumph Aclaim quite amusing. Literally speaking, it was neither a triumph nor did it deserve any aclaim :D

I love Beetles, and to a lesser extent Busses/vans/campers etc. That's partly because I grew up near the south coast of Devon and there was a fair few Beetles knocking about, so when I was a teenager I thought they were the coolest thing since sliced bread (I was previously a Mini fan but after exceeding 6' I sort of grew out of it - literally). I don't subscribe to the VW 'scene' thing at all, and if I ever had the opportunity to do a Beetle project I certainly wouldn't build it to any rigid criteria (Cal look, Rat look etc). So what if they are compromised in various ways? It seems utterly ridiculous to slate them based on poor design, build quality, performance and fuel consumption when you are talking about a vehicle that is likely to be circa 50 years old! <_< There's just something in them that I connect with and find them utterly cool little things.

Slap a 2.2 block in there, some EFI, bit of work and you'll see 200bhp. You'll then eat any 200bhp 205 GTI for breakfast on the drag strip if that's your sort of thing. Corners on the other hand....err :blush:

EDIT: also, most of the criticism being aimed at Beetles and Busses etc is equally applicable to pretty much any other car of the same age, so does that mean that all Hot Rods and Custom Cars are s*it? I can appreciate that the look of them won't be to everyone's taste, but I get the feeling that most of the hatred towards them is more about the type of owner/following that they attract, which is hardly fair, is it?

Edited by GLPoomobile

welshpug

Beetles can coilovered and IRS'd, 5 speed quaife gearbox, 2.3+, and as you rightly say, they'll show a clean pair of heels to a lot of things <_<

and that before you strap a big turbo on....

They might not push out big power figures but its all about low inertia engines with very decent torque :blush:

Not my thing, but I know a fair few people in the trade that work on them and dabble in the early water cooled VW's as well an appreciate the work that goes into them.

Edited by welshpug

jonnygoodhand
We saw a really mint Triumph Acclaim in beige at Hope motorshow with 59k on the clock. I cannot think of a more unclassic classic, but appreciated it being there all the same!

Oddly enough, there's a guy in a mint, beige Triumph Acclaim I see around here quite often (possibly the same one? can't be many!). Always makes me turn my head. Also see a time-warp, yellow, B reg metro from time to time.

I think trying to unravel the story behind such cars is perhaps more interesting than the cars themselves. Have they been restored? Lost in a barn? Or just one very careful owner from new?

Tom Fenton

There is a guy round here who runs about in a bright red Austin Maxi with extra spotlights etc, he also usually seems to be going about as if his tyres are on fire!

A classic? Not in my opinion, but rare all the same.

Richy_cti

a classic could be anything if some one loves it enough, yes they should be old rare and some kind of following like the old fords do.

and who ever said capris are crap pffft and there a few out there that will hit 160+ there was a limited run of cosworth capris 200 i think were made and there more than a few v8 conversion around too.

if anyone can spend 2+ months in a garage in the spare time loving restoring it.....its a CLASSIC

mfield
and who ever said capris are crap pffft and there a few out there that will hit 160+ there was a limited run of cosworth capris 200 i think were made and there more than a few v8 conversion around too.

The beauty of an opinion is it's neither right or wrong <_<

The 160+ comment was aimed at the 2.8i brigade and there asmatic designed engine, not the rocking horse s*it cosworths and homebuilds.

The start of this topic was, what CLASSIC car's do YOU not get ?

JRL

Thats right you may not like them but you appreciate the fact that someone puts their time and devotion to keep them on the road.

Up until i was about 6 years old my mum drove us to school in a triumph aclaim even though it was ugly and she used a pair of scissors to start it becuase she lost the key you become fond of cars even crap ones.

jonnygoodhand

There was a bit of a classic show in the local park over the weekend...

maestro01.jpg

maestro02.jpg