• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GilesW

Am I Being A Prat, Or Got The Wrong Parts?

GilesW

So I have an XU9J4 engine (1.9Mi ali block thing).

I have bought an oil pump ages ago from an GTI6 (XU10J4RS) as an upgrade. Complete with 26tooth crank sprocket and 52 link chain etc.

So.....

I put it next to a pump I had got a long time ago from a 406 XU10 engine and noticed there is a differance in the crank sprockets (apart from size - which of course I was expecting).

Now I've not cracked open my Mi16 XU9J4 engine as yet but this is what I'm expecting (based on the 405 and 205 Haynes manuals as well as the DrSarty parts pdf's for these engines).

Pic below shows:

On left the 26tooth crank sprocket from the GTi6 (XU10J4RS), and the spacer that came with it.

On the right is what I am expecting the sprocket on my MI16 (XU9J4) engine to look like - it being a one piece spacer and crank sprocket.

2up7rds.jpg

So - is the Gti6 the right sprocket for the upgrade - and do I just put it on, and the spacer, then clamp up the crank bolt?

Is this right? If not how does the GTi6 sprocket fit on the XU9J4 crank, and is it just the friction/compression of the crank bolt that stops it spinning?

Or have I got the wrong 26 Tooth crank sprocket, and if so what one do I need.

Oh - before the search police try and bust me - I did looooooads of search for over an hour and couldn't find anything difinitive, or indeed any decent photos to show if thsi is right or wrong.

tidypug

I seem to remember the Mi sprocket being an interference fit so should be seperate. With the '6' they made the item one. PPlease remember its late and I've drunk a lot so may not be entirely right :))

DrSarty

I just used the oil pump sprocket from a 2.0 Mi (i.e. an S16), which is an XU10J4. It is the same IIRC as the sprocket on the left, i.e. the 10J4RS sprocket.

I don't think you will find any issues using the (GTI6) one you have, as the one pictured on the right as Tidy said is not a friction locked sprocket and the Mi ones are for sure.

GilesW

Ah - So the XU9J4 standard 22t sprocket is actually a friction locked sprocket just like the GTi6 one (on teh left) then?

So I would just use the sprocket and the existing spacer on my XU9 engine and job done?

I have to say that when I strip my Mi (XU9j4) I was expecting to see a one piece sprocket and spacer like that picture on teh right (supposidly out of a 406 XU10J4) because:

A) I was told that was an XU10J4 sprocket (albeit I don't know why it's only 22teeth).

:) On page 16 of your parts pdf DrSarty it seems to show the sprocket and spacer as one piece.

But if my 1.9 MI is just like the friction locked '2 piece' GTi6 sprocket then that makes it nice and easy and simple (and me not worry).

Mad Scientist

The friction fit sprocket is a strange idea to me. If your crank pulley comes loose (it could happen) you will lose oil pressure and possibly your engine very quickly.

There are 2 sprockets listed for the GTI 6. They change according to build code. The earlier is friction fit, and the latter is one piece with the spacer, secured by a woodruff key. This one is the one you want as it is not reliant on friction, hence the "safer" option.

I got one from Pug last week. About £12 IIRC.

:huh:

GilesW

Really??? £12 for the one piece 26tooth sprocket/spacer?

Bargain.

I'll give them a shout.

S@m

Surely the drawback there in getting the one piece sprocket and spacer (from a late Gti6) with a woodruff drive is that your xu9j4 crank wont have the corresponding woodruff key on it, so you will end up with friction fit anyway? Thats how i understood it, but i'd like to be corrected since im looking into doing this myself in the near future.

Sam

Alan_M
Surely the drawback there in getting the one piece sprocket and spacer (from a late Gti6) with a woodruff drive is that your xu9j4 crank wont have the corresponding woodruff key on it, so you will end up with friction fit anyway? Thats how i understood it, but i'd like to be corrected since im looking into doing this myself in the near future.

Sam

I think there are two slots on the Mi crank, one for the crank sprocket and the other for the pump sprocket. It's a while since I rebuilt my Mi16 so may be wrong. Positive that the 8v cranks have both slots.......some even came with the keyed pump sprocket.

S@m
I think there are two slots on the Mi crank, one for the crank sprocket and the other for the pump sprocket. It's a while since I rebuilt my Mi16 so may be wrong. Positive that the 8v cranks have both slots.......some even came with the keyed pump sprocket.

Yes, i did just check citroen service and notice this, so is the result that you can use the one piece late gti6 spacer/sprocket (Part 0513.78)? Also, i have noticed the XU10J2 engine has part number 0513.54 which is less than half the price of the gti6 one, has 26 teeth and is a combined spacer/sprocket with woodruff drive, could this be used?

Edited by Sam306

Mad Scientist

If you look at the picture at the top of the thread, it explains why the 1 piece fits. Originally, the spacer was located by a woodruff key.

The part you want is 0513.78 list £13.57 plus vat. 0513.54 is just the sprocket (friction fit) despite the drawings on service box alluding otherwise. I know this for a fact as I have both sat in front of me right now!

The woodruff keys are 63p plus vat each.

:wacko:

S@m

Thanks very much for that, the diagram on servicebox regarding the XU10J2 is very misleading it seems! I will be sure to order the late gti6 one then!

Sam

Mad Scientist

Sam: That's the mistake I made, since I am a cheapskate and went for the cheaper one! That's why I have both here!

The later GTI6 one is the one you need.

:wacko:

Sign in to follow this