• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DirtyFlare

Changing The Aerial Cable

DirtyFlare

My radio reception is now non-existent much to my annoyance.

I haven't looked yet but is it simple to remove the interior light to check the base of the aerial?

Where does the pink aerial cable run and has anyone got any tips on replacing it?

GLPoomobile

Yes it is simple to remove the map light. It's been a while since I nosied in that area but the light itself just pops out, and then if you do need to remove the surround to get to the aerial I think it's just a single bolt/nut that holds it in, which you'll see when you remove the light.

I haven't ever removed the aerial myself, but I'm sure it runs across the top of the windsreen and the down the drivers side A pillar, then behind the dash to the stereo. Could potentially be a bit of an arse to get to.

Obey_R

I was searching for this only yesterday!

I need to change the cable too but it really is a pig to get to. It's too tight to pull through from the dash end, but I've not tried from the light yet.

I would think if I do change it I will just end up connecting the new wire to it with a proper connector and pulling the old one out, hoping not to snag the new one!

I'll let you know if I do it, post back whatever you do?

Gentrix

You need to at least loosen up the dash a bit, otherwise you won't get the cable through.

andi

damien

i cut the end off the aerial at the light end and pulled it from the dash end, at the bottom of the a-piller you should be able to grab the cable, just need to take it easy when pulling it from behind the dash.

i refitted a 306 one just becasue i had a spare, i had to refeed the radio end from the light down the a-piller down to the dash, had to remove all the headlining too

Obey_R

Was there a reason you didn't pull the new one through with it?

damien

never crossed my mind, from what i remember there is not much in the way of space along the a-piller

DirtyFlare

I was thinking of using some thin wire (1mm^2) tape it to the end of the coax at the aerial and pull from behind the glove box/CD player. Then attach the new coax to thin wire and pull through, but didn't know where it ran.

Used that technique hundreds of times at work and have been successful so far *touches word quickly*

Obey_R

I've just found the end closest to the A pillar in the dash and it seems firmly stuck. Half of the dash is out, too....

I think I'll give it one last go or just make do. I'm not going to risk ruining the headlining only to find out it's just as stiff from the other way!

monkee87

Changing the aerial lead is a joke. I did it on my old GTi as the cable was fubard'.

You do have to pull the headlining back slightly to see it. It then runs down the pillar as said and comes out where the bolt is for the wing. (That area behind the kick pannel anyway) It's too cramped to get 2 cables down the pillar, i tried..

I cut one end off my lead and pulled it through, was a pain, no space in the pillar at all. I fed the new cable through from the top, now that took forever cause it kept on getting stuck! You just have to be persistent and keep going until it comes out by the wing bolt. I didn't feed it through where it should go under the dash as it ends up being really short IMO. Just ran it across by the pedals. ;)

Hope that makes sense and is helpful.