• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bouver

Tin Worm....

bouver

I have just packed up for the night working on Project Dimma.

I am restoring a 1989 Dimma Cti to its former glory, the trouble is the more I look the more tinworm I find!

It is getting me down a bit.

I took a part out of the shed yesterday, it is part of the roof that sits above the windscreen when the hood is fitted. Less than a year ago I sand blasted it back to bare metal, treated it with a 50/50 mix of phosphoric acid and methylated spirit (phosphoric acid is the active ingrediant in any rust killer) primed and painted it. Now it is rusting again, small bubbles have appeared and I wire brushed them to find tin worm alive and well underneath!

I have also found another hole in the front of the car, its an easy enough repair but just one to add to the list.

Does anyone make repair panels for 205's?

Also has anyone got any good ideas on how to keep rust at bay?

Paulmac19

The top panel on the roof does rot

I have heard of some members on here that have had new ones re-manufactured by making a template of there old one

maybe someone like Henry York could point you in the right direction

as for repair body panels try these guys, but i think you will have to go through a motor factors to get parts from them

but the parts they supply seem to be pretty well thought off on the forum i had asked the question of their quality and had nothing but good reports back

try these

Don't let it get you down if you owned a twenty year old ford you would know what tin worm really was ;)

JRL

Dont let it get you down mate! all the 205 i have owned have had to have some treatment on the shell of some sort. My brother is in to old fiats and lancias the rust on those is just a joke same as old fords.

welshpug

peugeot do still supply many body parts, though I'm not sure about the CTI's.

bouver
yes they do if this link works have a look here depends what you want though http://www.auto-paints4u.co.uk/body-panels...ot-205.html?p=2

Thanks very much for that folks!

Are the ,special prices, really special Rallyman? or are they always at that price. £7 for a lower crossmember is cheap though! Its not worth me making my own.

rallyman205
Thanks very much for that folks!

Are the ,special prices, really special Rallyman? or are they always at that price. £7 for a lower crossmember is cheap though! Its not worth me making my own.

the power of auto suggestion i would think .they must be "special prices" if he says they are

matt.f

Try looking on Bilthamber website for rust treatment