• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Trans-x Differential

Alan_M

Had the TransX diff in for about 2 years now, and has slowly got noisier. I know they aren't quiet but this is taking the piss.

It does the normal clunk and clang in straight lines which I expect, but come to turn slowly (capr park/give way) is makes this judder-whirry noise vibrating through the steering wheel. It really is bad, but then attack a corner with a bit of speed and it's absolutely fine.

Some time ago I replaced the shafts with refurbed GKN ones. Could this be my problem?

I've read that the TransX diffs can highlight failings in the drivetrain, and that brand new shafts are the way forward.

rescue dude

I recently had a Kaaz plate diff fitted and mine does the same. Horrible and bangy through the steering wheel when driven slow but give it some beans and its lovely and smooth.

Paul_13

Is it a plate type?

Might need ones if they're due a rebuild? Could be wrong not entirely sure on the working of a diff.

Good to see the car the other day, the bloke down Hurst has a 5 hole trim panel thing you were after not 4 hole

pip470

Id try an oil change first, You can then look at the condition of the oil. If its not looking like brand new, its time for a change.

pip470

Id try an oil change first, You can then look at the condition of the oil. If its not looking like brand new, its time for a change.

GTI6BOY

Both of you should not have any of these problems

i have both of these diffs and the are as quiet as a mouse

first check you are using lsd oil which is thicker and takes away lots of the noise

secondly make sure the short drive shaft is going in all the way. Mine are in a xsara vts box and a 6 box and you need to chop around 7mm off the end off the shaft and shave the sholder down a bit too

you defo should not have clunking in a straight line

andyjstone

I had exactly the same problem with my brand new TranX diff recently - it had only done a couple of 100 miles and started making a knocking noise when you put the power on in corners and all sorts of graunching and grinding noises as well. I had brand new drive shafts so I knew it wasn't them and it only did it on corners, fine in a straight line.

Sent it back to TranX (thanks again Miles) and they sorted it in a couple of days, they didn't enlighten me as to the problem as they fixed it under warranty, but it's fine now and I'm taking it to Brands on the 1st to give it a good thrashing!

Alan_M
I had exactly the same problem with my brand new TranX diff recently - it had only done a couple of 100 miles and started making a knocking noise when you put the power on in corners and all sorts of graunching and grinding noises as well. I had brand new drive shafts so I knew it wasn't them and it only did it on corners, fine in a straight line.

Sent it back to TranX (thanks again Miles) and they sorted it in a couple of days, they didn't enlighten me as to the problem as they fixed it under warranty, but it's fine now and I'm taking it to Brands on the 1st to give it a good thrashing!

Any idea how long a warranty lasts? I'm quite sure I bought it a couple of years ago via Peter Lloyd Rallying.

I'll give TransX a call and see what they say.

rallyman205

tran,x like to keep their customers happy and you will find that they will service the diff for you at a very reasonable price or at least they used to .if your diff is clunking and groaning it could be the belvile washers have failed or flattened and the planet gears are climbing up the ramps when you travel at low speed thus loading the friction plates and causing the noise you are hearing .

Alan_M
tran,x like to keep their customers happy and you will find that they will service the diff for you at a very reasonable price or at least they used to .if your diff is clunking and groaning it could be the belvile washers have failed or flattened and the planet gears are climbing up the ramps when you travel at low speed thus loading the friction plates and causing the noise you are hearing .

Bloody bellville washers, got experience of their failings in other equipment.

Thanks for that :D

matt.f

I've been told to use non LSD oil with a Tran x,something to do with the pug gearbox iirc

GTI6BOY

Been using lsd oil in the same box for 5years and no problems

Alastairh

Something deffo sounds wrong. My tran x was quite, it made the odd clunk, but no where near as harsh as some of the ones I have seen.

You may aswell phone tran x them selves and see what they suggest.

Al

matt.f
Been using lsd oil in the same box for 5years and no problems

With a 205 gearbox it's something to do with the syncros iirc

Edited by matt.f

andyjstone

You've got me worried now - I'm using Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 in mine with TranX diff, should I be using something different?

matt.f
You've got me worried now - I'm using Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 in mine with TranX diff, should I be using something different?

Not sure is it LSD oil?I'm no mechanical expert but just from what I've read on here from doing a search and rang a few companies up when I bought it and they said LSD oil doesn't work with syncros in pug box,PM Miles on here he will know.

brumster

Firstly, plates chattering in a STAIGHT LINE is something I'd be worried about

Secondly, on fully interleaved setting you will get all sorts of chattering and clunks on even the slightest of lock at low speeds. Mine has done that since day one, they always have - when it goes QUIET, that's when I start to worry (I guess it means the plates have worn).

Thirdly, be very careful with oil choice. Non-LSD oil has incorrect behaviour on the diff plates unless you put friction modifier in there, or so I had it explained to me by someone I trust. Careful choice of LSD-spec oil means you can have a box that still shifts nice but looks after your diff too - I used Valvoline for years until they upped the price, now I use Silkolene Syntran (or whatever it's called now) with no problems with either.

And just for the record, my diff hardly gets an easy time of it...! Normally needs a new set of plates every couple of years but otherwise that's it...

andyjstone
Not sure is it LSD oil?I'm no mechanical expert but just from what I've read on here from doing a search and rang a few companies up when I bought it and they said LSD oil doesn't work with syncros in pug box,PM Miles on here he will know.

Spoke to Miles and he reckons the Fuchs is fine as a lot of the LSD oils aren't good with the BE3 box.

shalmaneser

I'm no expert but I've got some machining and mechanical knowledge and I'd be VERY unsure about putting anything that isn't LSD oil in any gearbox with a (plate) LSD. The whole point of a plate LSD is that it takes advantage of the shear strength of the oil, and I'd imagine that LSD oil has much higher shear strength than bog standard GB fluid. Might lead to very odd behaviour, and certainly premature wear.

Guess it's just a case of finding out which LSD fluid works in a BE3!

Or running a Quaife :D

rescue dude
Firstly, plates chattering in a STAIGHT LINE is something I'd be worried about

Secondly, on fully interleaved setting you will get all sorts of chattering and clunks on even the slightest of lock at low speeds. Mine has done that since day one, they always have - when it goes QUIET, that's when I start to worry (I guess it means the plates have worn).

Thirdly, be very careful with oil choice. Non-LSD oil has incorrect behaviour on the diff plates unless you put friction modifier in there, or so I had it explained to me by someone I trust. Careful choice of LSD-spec oil means you can have a box that still shifts nice but looks after your diff too - I used Valvoline for years until they upped the price, now I use Silkolene Syntran (or whatever it's called now) with no problems with either.

And just for the record, my diff hardly gets an easy time of it...! Normally needs a new set of plates every couple of years but otherwise that's it...

My plate diff is horrible at very low speed tight corners but if I take the same corner at speed its fine.

In a straight line there's no problem.

I had it rebuilt last year as the plates needed shimming and I noticed that in the same slow speed tight corners it was silent so I knew something wasn't right.

I also have been warned that I need to use the correct grade of oil. I heard somewhere (here?) that someone had a diff problem, sent it back to the manufacturers who tested the oil being used and found it to be not of the recommended grade and so refused to fix it under the guarantee.

matt.f

Think Tran x obviously say LSD oil but if it's no good for pug boxes what do you do?

brumster

Exactly. It's only slow crawling stuff, like pulling out of junctions or pottering around the service area. Once on stage giving it the beans, you don't notice it from a noise-perspective.

Baz

Just another confirmation here, it's normal, my diffs do it, i fact i re-fitted one of mine on saturday and was reminded again how clunky they are at low speed etc, almost feels and sounds very wrong, but they all seem to do it, some worse than others but as long as they're fine in a straight line and work properly when needed it's not an issue.

The Gripper seems to be alot louder/snatchier than the Kaaz and TranX, but i reckon it's ramp angles are set harsher, which is probably why.

Oh, and i run 75w80 as normal, because BE boxes don't seem to get on with anything else.

rescue dude

If I remember 75-80 is the grade of oil Kaaz recommend anyway. :P

Rippthrough
Think Tran x obviously say LSD oil but if it's no good for pug boxes what do you do?

Try silkolene Syn 5 - it can make selecting gears a little notchy for the first couple of changes but it's fine after that.

Sign in to follow this