• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulmac19

[body_work] My Cti Operation Mint It

Paulmac19

Well i thought i would share with you my progress or the lack of it since it started to strip my car a 1992 Cti 1.9 phase 2.5 over the winter months

One night in December in what i can only describe as a moment of madness, i left the heat of my living room and made my way to the garage

what unfolded in the next couple of hours was quite staggering, and i soon found my drivable motd and taxed motor in bits and wondering if i would ever be able to get it back drivable again (this still remains to be seen :rolleyes: )

In a couple of hours i managed to go from this

Before my spanner got near it

To this what it now looks like

now outside and looking very sorry for itself..

Yeah cant see it driving too far lol

What have i done

Rear

I have went over it with scraper and managed to dig a few holes in it, one on the front valance and one each side of the rear inner arches nothing much but they needed done as i am getting it painted soon (when i gather up the rest of the funds :D )

So on Monday i got the lend of my mates mig and here are the results

valance crossmember repaired

Rear arch passengers side repaired

Rear arch drivers side repaired

I had already repaired the inner guards for the last mot, these new holes only came to light after i stripped and poked the body...

( nothing like a strip and a poke :rolleyes: )

Tomorrow i am going to go through all my bits and see what i still need to get it rebuilt after the paint job

Bumper brackets worked out more expensive the the new front bumper, and that not including the long and short bolts,

i have been told these are no longer available, but i have seen them on Ebay guess someone bought the lot and now have them on buy it now with a couple a quid added on

Things are starting to move along now i have had my hours cut at work to a three day week and have a bit more time on my hands, i will keep everyone posted on my progress

All encouraging words welcome, even abuse if you want <_< besides funds i do need a good push to get this back to its roof down summer brilliance B)

Edited by Paulmac19

MrG

well done, brave man taking apart what looked like a perfectly good CTI.

crack on mate, get it back on the road as soon as you can, would hate this to become an unfinished item like so many others!

Atari Boy

Nice project.

The long bumper bolts were still available a month ago.

kernowmafia

it looked very tidy to begin with,i've got a soft spot for these,looking forward to more updates

Redtop

I too was able to get the long bolts a month or so ago. I never got the short ones. They are cutting back with the parts supply though. Just using up whats on the shelf I guess and bring more stuff from France whenever necessary.

Looks like a good wee project. All the best with it :lol:.

Paulmac19

Bit of an update on the car..

Eventually got it around to the sprayer and began to prepare it for its new paint job.

First job was to get the screen out

It came out fairly easily and in one piece

post-13974-1285540372.jpg

Next thing we took the doors off so we could paint right into the inner sills and to give the doors a good inspection for dings and dents and rust.

post-13974-1285539813.jpg

post-13974-1285541677.jpg

Next we taped her up and i started to get a sense of yeah, after all our efforts we where starting to get somewhere as it was now ready for sanding down and a coat of primer with a drop of red added to it.

post-13974-1285544198.jpg

post-13974-1285544400.jpg

post-13974-1285544628.jpg

post-13974-1285541780.jpg

A final tape up and check over for any dents we missed, its now sitting almost ready for it first coat of paint :unsure:

post-13974-1285542280.jpg

post-13974-1285542956.jpg

Paint is coming tomorrow so i will keep you posted on the progress

post-13974-1285542110.jpg

Edited by Paulmac19

miamichris
:) Looks great Paul! I'd like to see my gti at that stage, if my Dad would pull his finger out and get it started!!

omega

just a word of advice

i would lay that windscreen down somewhere safe as they have a habit of falling over when no ones looking!!!

Paulmac19
:D Looks great Paul! I'd like to see my gti at that stage, if my Dad would pull his finger out and get it started!!

Its been a long time coming, summer is over and i am only getting it painted now well it gives me the winter to get it lowered and painted up underneath.

As for your Dad your just going to have to guilt him into it like buy him the paint for Christmas :D

just a word of advice

i would lay that windscreen down somewhere safe as they have a habit of falling over when no ones looking!!!

Yeah thanks, that would be a shame, after me and my mates patting ourselves on the back for getting it out in one piece only to smash it while its out :D

we will be moving all the bits not getting painted to a separate room before we start lashing the paint on anyway

Edited by Paulmac19

Henry Yorke

Top tip - refit the screen with a sunroof GTI seal. They have a flick on them and it apparently reduces the wind noise on the front of the hood.

Daviewonder

Nice to see it coming along Mate. I can't quite put my finger on why but that first pic of the CTI is one of the nicest I've seen :P

This one

allye

looks great, and as other have said, fairly perfect to start with!

Rear drums on a 1.9 though? Do 1.9 CTI's have drums on the rear?

Ali

Henry Yorke

All CTI's have drums unless they had an optional ABS kit, which was not that popular in the UK

Paulmac19
Top tip - refit the screen with a sunroof GTI seal. They have a flick on them and it apparently reduces the wind noise on the front of the hood.

Ah Henry i wish i had of seen your post earlier, well the car is painted and buffed and we fitted the screen earlier today

(forgot my camera so no pictures as yet)

although i must admit i never really noticed bad wind noise anyway

but taking the screen out and replacing the seal does not really faze me anymore, now i have took it out successfully once :lol:

Paulmac19
Nice to see it coming along Mate. I can't quite put my finger on why but that first pic of the CTI is one of the nicest I've seen :(

This one

Thank you very much!

I am quite proud of that wee photo, but you just got it on a good day :lol:

Actually have that as my desktop background sometimes.

Paulmac19
looks great, and as other have said, fairly perfect to start with!

Ali

Yeah they share a lot of the 1.6 running gear had me a right headache when i kept returning the new drive shafts i was ordering

I was ordering them off my reg which was coming up as the 1.9

three sets later we ordered ones for the 1.6 and bingo!

I think i joined the forum not long after that, after finding it on a Google search!

Paulmac19

Well a bit of an update a few days on and a few more bits done....

Started to build the car back up again after the paint job

I am really happy with the way its turning out, every new bit that goes back on, makes it look even better in my opinion

its still pretty dusty, but it gives you an idea how its turned out..

underneath the arches looks mint

post-13974-1286107523.jpg

post-13974-1286108297.jpg

The brand new Hadrains supplied bonnet fits really well (and before yous start its not closed in this photo to save the wise cracks ^_^)

just hope the new bumpers fit as snugly

This is first time since i have owned the car i seen it without a four foot half moon shaped scrape on the bonnet that the last owner inherited.

post-13974-1286109173.jpg

Edited by Paulmac19