• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Joehow

1.9 > 1.6

Joehow

Hi, I tried to search for this but the function didnt like me much. I have owned an uprated 1.9 for 18 months.... and love it its quick agile and torquey as hell.

However with insurance going up this year for no apprant reason i have seen a few nice 1.6's about and am contemplating going for one of these.

I know the 1.6 is supposed to livlier on the 14 inch pepperpots and with the shorter box... something that is appealing having owned both s1 and s2 rallyes.

So basically how many of you have done it and what or would i expect to feel?

jonnygoodhand

Just a few threads beneath yours is this.

Joehow

GLPoomobile

I bet you'd find the difference in insurance between the 2 to be negligable to be honest.

richsmells

As above. There's probably £10 difference in it.

Joehow

previously with admiral the insurance difference was 450

richsmells

Switch insurer then!

Peetypug

My last 205 was a mildly tuned 1.9. I now own a 1.6 that is apparently cammed.

In all honesty I can't tell them apart other than the 1.6 accelerating slightly faster than than the1.9

As for insurance there was 20 difference when I shopped around for quotes for them

Joehow

Admiral are the cheapest to insure me anyway so no changing of insurer.

I do quite the odd motorway journey to my gf's which is where the 1.9 holds strong for me with the longer box

GLPoomobile

But if you change car, you'll need a new quote, in which case you might as well shop around for a comparisson. Even if you don't swap insurer now, you might want to come renewal time, and it's in this situation that you'll probably find little difference between 1.6 and 1.9.

lfallgti

I'm not sure i'd want to have a 1.6 after having a good 1.9. There is a big difference in torque, (well, between the 4 that i've owned) and although the 1.6 is revvier its definitely nowhere near a 1.9 for acceleration. I'm not saying i wouldn't have one, just that it would have to be pretty tidy or running right before i parted with cash. Personally it would feel like a step down. If a 1.6 was as good why would peugeot even bother with a 1.9? my opinion tho.

As said before, i can't see how the insurance varies that much for a standard car. unless you have lots of mods declared?

MrG

Although only about 300cc's and a car that has more attitude than the 1.6, it seems to make people want to drive them harder I suppose hence the insurance hikes.

But pug released the 1.9 due to the apparent demand brought about from the likes of the Cheetah and SB conversions. Good job they did as it was an instant success.

I like the 1.9's smooth feel to the power delivery have to admit.

GLPoomobile

1.9 is not "better" than a 1.6 though, they're just different. It's horses for courses as always, and a matter of preference. With all things being equal, I would never choose to have another 1.9 (unless I was buying purely based on condition of the car, and it was the best I could find), only a 1.6 or 16v. Torque is great but I found the delivery on my 1.9 boring.

Obviously if it was a modified 1.9 and a bit livlier to drive then that's an entirely different matter.

asdf205

Had 2 1.9s in the past and just picked up my first 1.6. Its hard to tell them apart really due to the less power but shorter ratios. My 1.9s were standard though so it will be different if your used to one with stuff done to it.

lemmingzappa

I drive a 1.6, and from the 1.9's i've sat in I wouldn't say they're any quicker. As everyone else has said, different power delivery.

It really bugs me when people say "oh yeah I used to have a 1.9, the proper one". I think alot of non enthusiasts see the 1.9 as a better car because 9 is a bigger number than 6.

Richie

If you prefer more horsepower, get a 1.9.

happygoron
If you prefer more horsepower, get a 1.9.

Was waiting for Richie to appear in this thread ;).

Baz

Which is boll0cks anyway.

kernowmafia

i wouldn't swap my 1.6 for a 1.9 i drove my mate's miami blue 1.9 before i bought mine(10 years ago) ans thought the 1.6 was more eager to respond and seemed to suit me better.i guess its which ever suits your driving style best.i've had several goof's too and the 8v mk3 is way better than the 16v one,i'll wait for abuse after that as several of my mates are consumed with having the most horse power but the 8v is sooo much nicer to drive

McDude

Richie - dig out your McCoys, Yorkies, Alpha Male quote.

Richie
Richie - dig out your McCoys, Yorkies, Alpha Male quote.

:D 1.6?

pc474%20mr%20t%20get%20some%20nuts.jpg

dodsworth_gti

ive had 2 1.6's,2 1.9's and a mi16

i loved my 1.6's,one was heavily modified and it was amazing to drive,massive power and instant at that,that was a fresh re-built engine,l&b bottom end,stage 3 head,piper 285 cam and r1 bike carbs and to finish a magnex manifold back exhaust and i loved it

my standard 1.6 was also a pokie fun little car to drive,compared to my standard 1.9 there wasnt much difference at all,some days id even say the 1.6 was quicker,although it was in good fettle

the 1.9 i have now has a 1.6 box on it and that is brilliant to drive

to me though,it depends what your doing with the car,if its mainly b road driving with bits of a roading,then there will be hardly a difference to me,longer gears of the 1.9 just help on long hauls ect

large

I have had a couple of each and like the 1.9 but love the 1.6. See if you can have a go in a 1.6 and make your own mind up.

If I was you I would have another look at insurance.

dodsworth_gti

brentachre insurance are mint for me and cheap :D

SurGie

A 205 is better than any 1.6 or 1.9, simple :D.