• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
asdf205

Faded Paint

asdf205

My red paint is starting to go a bit orange and im wondering what everyone uses to keep theirs red? Its mainly the back quarter pannel.

backroadpug
My red paint is starting to go a bit orange and im wondering what everyone uses to keep theirs red? Its mainly the back quarter pannel.

intead of polish i would use a cutting compound have to be carefull with it tho.

steve@cornwall

Commonly known as "Cherry orange" or "Cherry pink" :huh: If yours is lacquered (if it has an "O" in the paint code IIRC) you're a bit stuffed :( Of all the things I tried I had best results with paint ;)

asdf205

My first 205 (a red xt) went from a pinky purple one side to an orange the other. I didnt really mind about that car but i want to keep this one looking good. If it is laquered then i may have to opt for a respray then.

dee205

Once turned a pink Fiesta back to red. Wet sanded the whole car with 1500 grit w&d. G3 compound, 3M Fast cut, 3M final polish, glaze, all done by machine then a coat of wax.

Paulmac19

What you are describing is oxidation very common on red cars

try some Klasse polish on it, you can find it on ebay its not cheap at £30.00 for 500ml but it is very good stuff

i would say your best option is take it to a good valet company and get them to buff it for you,

would prob work out the same price! and save your arms a lot of ache :D

NeilGTi85

I brought a 1985 205 which had fadded quite badly......I used Autoglym super resin polish with colour magic +, I did this for about 2 months to restore it to:

DSC00563.jpg

DSC00514.jpg

Richie

Mine was faded when i picked it up.

1.jpg

Applied a few coats of autoglym super resin polish, and some extra gloss protection. I think i may have used a bit of autoglym ultra deep shine too.

Clean.jpg

Shame mines laquer peeling now :(

asdf205

^^ Mines a bit darker then yours in the first picture but it still has a deep shine it just seems to be orange. Ill try that autogylm stuff you used and see what happens.

Baz

You need something with a cut to it first, like AG Paint Restorer, or better, Farecla compounds, that'll help bring the colour back without too much effort, as there's not much in Super-Resin etc, then use a protective coat like AG SRP & EGP.

• Like 1

NeilGTi85

You'll need to apply it a few times to get the best result, I used to do mine twice a week :(

gixxerash

My one was a bit faded to when i picked him up so i used G3 and meguiars cleaner wax and it turned out nice.

post-15980-1277219656_thumb.jpg

asdf205

Mine looks near enough like yours. Its probably me thats wrong and thinking it should be a darker red then it is.

205*31*

Ok I have a problem with my cherry red paintwork on the passenger side it was a faded pinky colour which with some rubbing compound of ebay has got it back to a better darker red but the drivers side and roof has like turned an orangy colour and have applied abit of this rubbing compound but it don't seem to want to touch this :lol:

what are my best options? get some G3?

cheers.

asdf205

The same thing happend to me. The pink turned to red but some bits didnt and ended up more orange.

dee205

Try wet sanding first. Then G3 compound which has a heavy cut. This should always be followed by progressively finner cutting polishes as it won't leave the paint mirror-like and glossy otherwise. You don't go from G3 compound to a coat of wax. Paint correction is basically stripping or sanding a layer off to remove imperfections.

asdf205

Had a go with rubbing compound today. Managed to get it from the orangeish colour to a flat pinkish colour but after polishing it back up its just gone orange straight away. I think its time for professional help.