• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BC Devile

Yellow Rallye

DaveW

You wont get those working the oil pressure and oil temp unless you find the sensors on the engine, i dont think that engine has an oil pressure sender anyway, does it still have the bx gti dials?

BC Devile
You wont get those working the oil pressure and oil temp unless you find the sensors on the engine, i dont think that engine has an oil pressure sender anyway, does it still have the bx gti dials?

Yeah it does. Nah the 106 gti engine never came with an oil pressure just oil temp sensor

backroadpug

does your rev counter work a friend was telling me when i do mine ill have to solder in some kind of resistor for it to work?

dont think its a standard dash is it? as mine and others ive seen dont have the centre console I thought it just had a complete GTI dash fitted.

see the engine wiring in yours? is it all wired through the the 106 twist conector i was thinking on still using this for easy engine removal but cant find any pin data?

looks like i will just have to trace all the wires to the plug and wire it from there.

Edited by backroadpug

BC Devile
does your rev counter work a friend was telling me when i do mine ill have to solder in some kind of resistor for it to work?

dont think its a standard dash is it? as mine and others ive seen dont have the centre console I thought it just had a complete GTI dash fitted.

see the engine wiring in yours? is it all wired through the the 106 twist conector i was thinking on still using this for easy engine removal but cant find any pin data?

looks like i will just have to trace all the wires to the plug and wire it from there.

No the the rev couner doesn't work had an little aftermaret one on the top of the dash but removed it when i took the dash out, wasn't accurate anyway so it was pointless. Think its a gti dash. Im really unsure how its wired in, i dont know nothing about it. im happy to take pictures if you need any, if you thinking of doing the same engine swap.

backroadpug
No the the rev couner doesn't work had an little aftermaret one on the top of the dash but removed it when i took the dash out, wasn't accurate anyway so it was pointless. Think its a gti dash. Im really unsure how its wired in, i dont know nothing about it. im happy to take pictures if you need any, if you thinking of doing the same engine swap.

ive got the engine and loom out of the 106 just in middle of doing the usuall suspects(t/belt pulleys water pump head gasket seals and clutch)

I know all of the wiring to the inj relay to get her going as said its just the sensors and rev counter.Think i will try solder in the resistor to the rev counter see if that works and just use a cpl of pods for the rest.

If u could take pic of your wiring were it is spliced together would be handy see how yours is done?

cheers

DaveW

I fitted those dials as the standard rallye ones are like base model ones ie very basic! plus the bx dials are cool and rare :ph34r: it has the gti dial loom so you can look up the wire numbers in the hanyes. yes you need some kind of rev counter adapter as the gti engine runs a coil pack than the older dizzy set up which you can take the singal for the rev counter for.

Backroadpug its standard dash bar the xs centre console and gti dials, add the console for bit of better storeage and it looks better.

GLPoomobile
Previously owned a 106 gti and i thought the brakes on that were rubbish, so i cant see an older 205 1.6 caliper to be any better.

If the calipers are in good working order, then they will be fine with the right pads. Like I said, my brakes on my Mi converted 1.6 were brilliant with Mintex (1144 IRC) pads. For some stupid reason I went and 'upgraded' to the 266mm set up from a 306 XSI, using ATE Powerslot discs and bog standard halfords pads (couldn't afford performance pads at the time), and to be perfectly frank my brakes have been utter dog s*it ever since. It really goes to illustrate what a difference pad choice makes. I've gone up in disc size and I'm using bigger (and by your reasoning) better calipers, yet my brakes are utter toss now compared to when using the original 1.6 calipers with good pads.

Plus, 1.6 calipers are nice and light. The only down side really is that they are prone to wear causing the annoying clonk when you reverse.

Jackman

Ahhh so this is the car I had a phone call about saying i'd sold up lol!

It's a nice example mate, I've seen it down Llandow before!

I've never got my rev counter to go either!

BC Devile
Ahhh so this is the car I had a phone call about saying i'd sold up lol!

It's a nice example mate, I've seen it down Llandow before!

I've never got my rev counter to go either!

Cheers Dude, Mine looks up to yours

BC Devile

The brakes on the rallye were really letting it down and i wanted them to be better before silverstone in august. So i order this lot.

16072010471.jpg

Fitting the fronts was easy but the back braided lines were a nightmare. Ended up snapping the brake line and had to make a tempary bit of copper line. Also had to put a new union on the other side too. This is only just to get be by, will probably end up running all new brake line through the car. Still need bedding in before i can really test them.

17072010474.jpg

BC Devile

Some good new and some bad.

Good new i got some Black 4 point omp harnesses for my car.

Bad new snapped/cracked the os top engine mount ( the one you have to grind) last night. from what i can see the timing cover is a bit smashed up. and engine mount is resting on timing belt cover. Alternator belt has half come of the crack pully. Hopefully not bent the crack pulley. Also hope no damage to timing belt. But only time will tell am going to try rip it apart today.

Ill post pictures later.

BC Devile

No picture updates as i lost my phone. but went round silverstone in it today. Handling wasnt the best but would have been so much better if the brakes had worked well.

They overheat soo fast and the pedal just goes hard. Even though ive just upgraded all the components.

Any ideas why there so rubbish. Anything to do with the servo/mastercylinder?

Jrod

From what I can see you've stuck with solid discs, this is a mistake.

Use 1.9 vented discs then you can use either 1.6 or 1.9 calipers.

BC Devile
get some decent pads.

There EBC yellow stuff pads ive heard these are really good, but at the moment there rubbish.

BC Devile
From what I can see you've stuck with solid discs, this is a mistake.

Use 1.9 vented discs then you can use either 1.6 or 1.9 calipers.

There 307 calipers with 1.9 gti vented, grooved and drilled black diamond discs. Yellow stuff ebc pads with goodridge braided brake lines. I completly flushed the old brake fluid out and replaced it with dot 5.1. The set up wasn't cheap and feel like it was a complete waste of money at the moment.

Any ideas?

Jrod

Sorry, I was clearly being an idiot as I should of noticed they are not the original bendix calipers! :D

If they are fading then it can only really be pad choice, I ran red stuff and liked them but most people don't seem to rate EBC, mintex might be a better choice. Also the base models run a smaller M/C iirc but even then, this will only cause a slighlty longer pedal.

Rich_p

I ran yellows on the 1.6 205 I used to have.

They were much better than the standard 205 pads but definately need a few stamps on the peddle to get some heat in them before they start working properly.

Did you follow the bedding in procedure in the instructions after you fitted them?

backroadpug
There 307 calipers with 1.9 gti vented, grooved and drilled black diamond discs. Yellow stuff ebc pads with goodridge braided brake lines. I completly flushed the old brake fluid out and replaced it with dot 5.1. The set up wasn't cheap and feel like it was a complete waste of money at the moment.

Any ideas?

have you adjusted the rear brakes right up i found when I did my rear brakes and adjusted them right up it made a hell of a difference

BC Devile

Ive heard the yellow stuff are meant to be really good. i bedded them in, no hard braking for 200 miles. I havn't touched the rear brakes but bias is normally lot more to the front suppose ill give it a shot. Also when i got off track i could barely touch the wheels they were that hot.

The brakes still have air in the lines as i flushed the system of the old brake fluid. Could this be causing the fluid to have a lower boiling point if there that much air in the lines.

I really have no idea whats wrong with them

swordfish210
The brakes still have air in the lines

I really have no idea whats wrong with them

Um...do you actually hear yourself talk or do you just fade in and out

BC Devile
Um...do you actually hear yourself talk or do you just fade in and out

I was saying i know it has air in the lines but that doesn't explain why they are fading so quickly.surly that will just give me a spongy pedal feel.

BC Devile

Really bad news I wrote off my rallye, Really Gutted. :mellow: I pulled the engine out of it and took the rear wheels off thats all that was salvagable. I miss it already, more than likely in the future, going to buy a white base model 205 and stick the rallye graphics on it and put the tuned vts engine i recently bought for it.

Cheers for all the advise and comments everyone has given.

welshpug
I was saying i know it has air in the lines but that doesn't explain why they are fading so quickly.surly that will just give me a spongy pedal feel.

It will lead to the fluid reaching its boiling point a lot quicker

Really bad news I wrote off my rallye.

did the brakes fail again?

backroadpug
Really bad news I wrote off my rallye, Really Gutted. :( I pulled the engine out of it and took the rear wheels off thats all that was salvagable. I miss it already, more than likely in the future, going to buy a white base model 205 and stick the rallye graphics on it and put the tuned vts engine i recently bought for it.

Cheers for all the advise and comments everyone has given.

hope you were not hurt

It would still be alive and kicking if adam rallye didnt fu*k me about and sell it 2 days before i was to travel down to get it.

Cant belive thats another yellow rallye gone

Suppose tho it means mine is getting even more rare. :lol: