• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest tom-hunt

205d Cooking Oil ?

Guest tom-hunt

hi

wasent sure where to post this . ive just got a 205d partly as a cheep run around for now an also it is a 96 reg with great body work . my 1st mod is to add 205 gti rear beam front subframe lower arms an struts . in the future i want to add a 1.9td from a 306or 406 an wack the turbo an fuel pump up been told you can quight easaly get 150bhp. for now tho iam sticking with the 1.8d and was thinking of runing on a mix of diesel an cooking oil has any1 done this or know anything about it . mite just experiment as iam not that botherd about the current engine

thanks

steve@cornwall
hi

wasent sure where to post this . ive just got a 205d partly as a cheep run around for now an also it is a 96 reg with great body work . my 1st mod is to add 205 gti rear beam front subframe lower arms an struts . in the future i want to add a 1.9td from a 306or 406 an wack the turbo an fuel pump up been told you can quight easaly get 150bhp. for now tho iam sticking with the 1.8d and was thinking of runing on a mix of diesel an cooking oil has any1 done this or know anything about it . mite just experiment as iam not that botherd about the current engine

thanks

Someone on here went very in depth with this two or three years ago - mix ratios of veg to diesel and the effects on different diesel pumps, can't remember the member's name but perhaps someone can help further with this. Will maybe be a mammoth search but all the gen should be archived here somewhere.

bouver

Lucas fuel pumps dont like veg oil.

Bosh ones are far better if you are going to use SVO.

I ran an old 306 I had, (with a bosh pump) on straight veg oil diluted per tank with 3 litres of petrol. I did it for a year and the only problems I had were changing the fuel filter now and again when it blocked up. I used to carry a spare in the car along with the tools to change it so i was never stranded.

I also ran a 205 td (with a lucas pump) on the same mixture. Very soon the pump developed a leak. I fixed the leak by making my own washer out of a piece of old bicycle innertube.

Of course I informed customs and excise of what I was doing, kept records of amounts used and paid the tax!

Eventually the glycerine content of SVO glazes the cylinders. However if you just want a cheap run around and you are not bothered about damaging the engine, go for it.

foreigner

ok,

bosch pump great, lucas don't bothered.

306,405 td is what I have in my 1.8d inca and I am very hard to runaway from me on motorways or traffic lights.

don't bother with customs as you can use 2500 liters per year tax free as long as you keep book in your car "recording the usage"

I think it's the glycerine which glaze the cylinders but the svo itself not atomising properly.

I had used 3000 litres clocking up 30 000 miles in my old 306 without any modification or service at all not even oil change in 6 months as I was doing 1000 miles a week and the only problem I had was the electrics burning out but the engine was running sweet as nut.

vern

Search for posts by brainfluid

gixxerash

I had an old 406TD with the bosh pump, i ran that on veg oil for 9 months had no probs at 1 point i even put hydraulic oil in and to be honest that ran loads better with that in.

richsmells
Search for posts by brainfluid

What happened to him? He seemed a nice chap and made some very interesting posts.

Flying205Nutter

I ran my 306 td with a Lucas pump on 45% diesel 45% veg oil and 10% petrol in the summer and in the winter I would use something like 70% diesel 25% veg and 5% petrol. Mix the veg oil and petrol before pouring into the tank to mix it properly.

In 5 years 3 cars and 100,000 miles I only broke one Lucas pump (snapped the shaft) but I was on about 90% veg oil as I got given 400 gallons to burn through.