• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
peter

What Engine? Sr20, 4g63, 20v Turbo?

peter

Basicaly thinking of getting the most powerfull easy to tune engine and making it fit into a 205!

The idea is, instead of spending x amount of thousands building a a high spec t16 with management manifold etc etc find a decent motor from somthing like a pulsar, evo, t5 and weld it into the peugeot.

Just to say this before anyone starts we're not just dreaming we curently own a 2.0 8v turbo a 2.1 mi16 and a e36 m3 turbo etc

I have heard that the evo engine has been done before but i cant seem to find anything.

The sr20det from the pulsar is looking like the best option due to cost fwd gearboxes are also cheap and there easy to tune!

What do you think? ;)

hcmini1989

Depends on budget mate but the sr20det engines are`nt cheap theres a few on ebay for £1000+ and there probably sh*t .If you can get one though they are a cracking motor but expensive for parts cams etc.But i am in love with the pulsar and was and still am considering getting rid of my pug to get one

I would be looking into the honda engines they seem pretty good but im not sure on the price of one.But you can get turbo kits for them fairly cheap.

Or keep your eyes peeled for an old scooby at cat c or something just pinch all the running gear aswell there going stupidly cheap compared to old evo`s

Oh and does it have to be in your pug if you get your self a mitsubish colt all the evo running gear and engines are a direct fit just need to shorten the prop

Edited by hcmini1989

peter

Yes the engines arent "cheap" but compared to 16v turbo manifold ecu pistons rods etc etc They are a bargin!

I have heard the sr20 arn't that reliable, bottem ends etc, but surely if looked after correctly they will be fine.

As for tuning big turbo injectors + mapping and there over 300bhp

Ive looked at honda engines but realy need more power and to turbocharge one would cost the same as building a t16,

As for scoobies definatly not a chance everyone i know that has had one has blown it up! plus they look a bit of a nightmare to fit compared to a inline 4.

Definatly has to be in a 205!

Edited by peter

hcmini1989
Yes the engines arent "cheap" but compared to 16v turbo manifold ecu pistons rods etc etc They are a bargin!

I have heard the sr20 arn't that reliable, bottem ends etc, but surely if looked after correctly they will be fine.

As for tuning big turbo injectors + mapping and there over 300bhp

The sr20det are great for tuning and cheap aswell as long as your not doing pistons etc .I doubt you`ll see over 350bhp unless you rebuild the motor .But if you are looking for 300bhp they will sit at this all day the weak link is there gearbox the 4wd one .But the almera or sunny gti gearbox`s will fit with no mods but your only fwd then.

So with an adjustible boost controller and front mount intercooler and free flowing exhaust system you`ll easy see 300bhp maybe atw and be fairly reliable .

Edited by hcmini1989

peter

That is exactly my plan! 300bhp 205 for £1500 not including the car obviously.

With room for improvement.

I would like some info on how hard it would be to get 400hp from one but that is where the stand alone ecu and forged bits come into it

Goliath

You could try an S16 lump? Bear with me here....

EricYellow on here has a standard S16 engine with 2 headgaskets and a spacer plate as the only modifications to handle the turbo which he has bolted on. I think his power is running at about 516bhp or something rediculous like that. IIRC he has been driving it problem free for over a year now (he's had problems with gearbox strength but not engine problems)

Worth a try perhaps?

peter

516bhp? Is this the one that runs 11.2 1/4 mile times thats about that hp and is yellow. I would much rather have a peugeot engine. Is there a link to what exactly he's done?

Thanks!

hcmini1989
That is exactly my plan! 300bhp 205 for £1500 not including the car obviously.

With room for improvement.

I would like some info on how hard it would be to get 400hp from one but that is where the stand alone ecu and forged bits come into it

Well obvioulsly your looking at a forged engine build uprated head gasket ,then a bigger turbo ,injectors,water injection,aftermarket ecu do away with the dizzy.

Very expensive then you`ve got to look into the gearbox side better clutch ,lsd .

allso drivshafts if your planning on this engine your going to need custom shafts.

the s16 turbo engine mentioned above isnt a bad idea espeialy if wracing a member off here starts kicking budget turbo manifolds out

peter

I have just read through EricYellows thread! That would be ideal, i can see it now a shed full of spare s16 engines and notr worring about blowing them up however...

Its still 2500 for what eric has done though, if not more, and he still has a standard engine, it may sound cheap but in reality need somthing cheaper.

However if the manifold was £300 instead of £900+ turbo say 500? then managment + mapping 6-700? and the decompresion plate 2 head gaskets bigger injectors. It would still be expencive!

DrSarty

Saab B234R (ex Saab 9000 2.3). Job jobbed.

Bottom end handles 500bhp from factory (Mahle pistons), and Saab management is open source and there are plenty of people that can remap them.

You can get a whole car for £600.

I recommend staying with the '5' version and management, as the '7' included weaker, thinner stemmed (and sodium filled) valves - not unlike the GTI6 - which are prone to breaking.

B234R FTW...if you wanna do it on the cheap.

Edited by DrSarty

GLPoomobile

If I'm reading this correctly, the main restriction on your budget is going to be re-mapping whatever you use to extract the power you are after. So in that sense, it sounds like you are really looking for an engine that is already producing the power you are after, or basically needs very little in the way of mapping to get there, perhaps with one of these "off the shelf" maps. Hence you leaning towards an Evo engine. Am I right?

So if that's the case, we can sit here all day suggesting alternatives, but if they all need several hundred pounds worth of roller time to get them mapped to 300+bhp, and it's going to f*** your budget, then it's a waste of time. Again, am I right?

I can think of 2 engine variants that may fit the bill in that respect, which I would love to have in a 205 for the sound alone, and which I have never personally seen done. Volvo and Fiat (don't laugh) 20v turbos. ;). I guess Audi 20v turbos could be lumped in to that pot as well. Obviously space (being as they are 5 cylinder blocks) would be the limiting factor. But they should be relatively easily available and not necessarily expensive (Fiat Coupes go silly cheap now, as do Volvo 850 T5s), and will see 300bhp with "off the shelf" chips (something I know gets sneared upon, but they will do the job).

Edited by GLPoomobile

jackherer

Its worth considering the availability of LSDs for the donor gearbox, they are another pricey item for the 205 but some of the mentioned donors will come with LSDs in their transmissions already and others will have cheap aftermarket ones available.

Daviewonder
Saab B234R (ex Saab 9000 2.3). Job jobbed.

I've wanted to do one of these conversions for years. Powerful engine, peanuts to buy, I'm suprised its not more commonly used?

danpug

A friend has one (still in the saab) which is running 450bhp. Its pretty nippy! Traction is so much better than i imagined it would be too.

peter

several hundred pounds worth of roller time isnt the problem if the engine is a grand+ dyno time no problem, but if it needs ecu etc it costs!

saab engine is a certain possibilty, however i have a 2.1 s16 with high comp pistons and a stage 4 head sitting in my garage, if its possible to machine the pistons or lower the CR somehow then add the turbo i would have thought more than 466bhp?

Is it possible to map the standard 2.0 8v turbo ecu? slightly off topic but im convinced that would run a 16v turbo, same firing order same bottem end (if it was lower CR) Just like you can use a gti loom and ecu on an mi16?

wracing

If you can weld, weld your self up a turbo manifold, it really isn't hard(150ish+time). Turbo (300 secondhand) an S16 (200) as said, just whip the pistons out and deck them (150), saves running decomp plate, decent managment + mapping (1000) and a nice power figure.

1800 pounds all in easily, off the shelf spares, proven set-up and all peugeot

James

Edited by wracing

bales

Surely the cheapest option is a Ko4s 20VT??

265bhp just from remap

280/290bhp with downpipe/exhaust/fmic

Then big turbo kits get you 350bhp+ relatively easily, there are lots of BT vags running about reliably with 350bhp with no issues whatsoever.

To me thats the most sensible option.

Lots and lots of older TT's / LCR's / A3's

A KO3s engine will run 230bhp with decent exhaust etc and they are in every VAG under the sun!

peter

After reading all these posts and researching what can be done to each engine to achive the maximum power for the least amount of work the s16 is doing pretty well!

So for the cost of a saab, 20vt or sr20 then making it fit plus and off the shelf chip (yes that was plan GLpoomobile!) the cost is going to be around a 1000 if not more.

This would give around 300ish hp and possibly the worst handling 205 in history as the engine is most likley to sit further forward and probably going to be heavier, and dissapointed that i didnt stick with the peugeot engine.

Then if i want more power (which i will) its going to cost for bigger turbo manifold etc, The managment may be ok to remap so will save there but by the time thats been done the original cost of building a t16 doesnt sound to bad.

However, if i have a s16 to start with with a 8v turbo block for the low cr, (I already have these so would cost nothing) i would only need to buy manifold and turbo then management.

So if the £300 manifolds are available, turbo's always come up cheap on ebay possibly £200. Then its just down to management and mapping. for an engine capable of 400hp which would actualy work out cheaper easier and it would still be a peugeot engine. Im starting to think peugoet engines arnt that bad after all. I think we can all agree that we would rather have a peugeot engine right?

As for the LSD that is a certain consideration, Which cars come with these as standard?

welshpug

afaik the SAAB does not sit transverse, so would need a change of gearbox at least to go into a 205 that is transverse layout, possibly GM FWD gearbox, F20 possibly?

peter

Actualy i have just realised the saab engine shares or has somthing to do with the c20let being gm/vauxhall that is a definate no, There is not a chance any vauxhall parts are going in my peugeot!

Has anyone seen the pug1off car that is 516bhp and runs 11.2 1/4s there is a vid on youtube. What spec is that car??

welshpug

gti6 with a silly size turbo, lots of £££, and utterly pointless :(

peter

Its not pointless if it proves that peugeot engines are just as good if not better than vauxhalls...

There are loads of big hp c20ltes but not so many gti6 mi16s!

welshpug

is is pointless in a 205, because tis FWD and all that power is wasted in smoke :)

if you are aiming for 1/4 miles, find something Right Wheel Drive....

peter

I have somthing rear wheel drive, an m3 turbo...

I want a 400hp 205 and it isnt pointless as other people have them and think there great!

Sign in to follow this