• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Longun

Top Gear Coming Back 27th June

jimistdt

Baz...are you....The Stig? :D

;)

SurGie
I find that amazing, unbelievable even!

You have a missis? :huh::P :P

Yes i have because she prefers her men without the bum fluff still growing and can easily buy a drink without ID :huh::P:).

fast_eddie

I am pretty fed up with TG.. I love Clarkson and May and Hamster but to me, this series has just gone to a crock of slight! It seems as if its a quick 5 min 'proper' talk/vid about a proper ca, with not much technical info and then(not withstanding SIARPC) the rest of the show a mix of Laurel and Hardy meets Basil Faulty, with Mr fecking Bean as a Director!

If this is how TG want to go, then that is fine by me, just GO that way and dont try and mix and match normal stuff with 'to me, to you, to me, to you' s*ite!

Fifth Gear need to capitalise on TG's change of direction and put their pair of proper drivers at the forefront of their show!

I may watch TG if I miss it on a Sunday on Iplayer however, I am starting to wonder if I will bother to go out of my way to do it anymore.

What a shame BBC!

C_W
Of course it would that's exactly why they did it ffs! I've raced at the same circuit (Hethel) and although don't do quite a complete lap as they were, the times were ridiculously longer than mine, even compared to '08 & '09 in a 1.6.

Yea it was just the humour of that story, to keep the hot hatches out of the equation and make the old sports cars look better. A GRD instead of a GTi, the Astra GSi blowing up before they set off, the AX GTi hitting the truck but the Healer(?) just goes under it therefore safer LOL etc.

However I don't think a 1.9 GTi would necessarily beat a Lotus Elan round there (I think their lap times were just made up), the handling on those were great and if it was the turbo, 0-60 6.5 seconds too.

SurGie

Im not sure on that CW because they were much older than the 205, if they were new then i would agree.

large
Im not sure on that CW because they were much older than the 205, if they were new then i would agree.

The Lotus M100 Elan, launched in 1989, was a two-seater, convertible sports car designed by Lotus, with a reliable Japanese engine and transmission supplied by Isuzu, and built with the development and testing resources of General Motors. Around £35 million was invested in its development[2], more than any other car in Lotus history. Its design, featuring a fibreglass composite body over a rigid steel monocoque chassis, was true to Lotus founder Colin Chapman's original philosophy of achieving performance through light weight, and the name 'Elan' connected the car with its 1960s ancestor, the original Lotus Elan.

Older? How?

Junosix

I read somewhere that Colin Chapman was inspired to make the Elan a solid FWD car after having a go in a 205 GTI :D

C_W

I thought the Elan still looked pretty impressive, just that it\'s shortness makes it look odd from the side (looks kind of Esprit-ish from the back too).

There\'s a 95-N reg car for sale online!

50466bl.jpg

One thing from the show I thought was odd, was when Clarkson said the 458 is the first truely great looking Ferrari since the 208 when there's the awesome 355 (which he bought new when they came out after reviewing one) from '94.

maturin23
I read somewhere that Colin Chapman was inspired to make the Elan a solid FWD car after having a go in a 205 GTI :D

The 205 GTI was launched in 1983 and the M100 Elan was launched in 1989. Colin Chapman died in 1982.

The M90 concept that preceded the Elan did have some input from Chapman before he died, but I think that was RWD.

Nice story though :P