• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry Yorke

206 Gti 180 Atlantis Wheels On A 205 Gti

Henry Yorke

I test fitted some 180 wheels to my skip that I had acquired. They are 7x17 and ET 28, so I used a 10mm spacer on them. I have 1.9 hubs at the front with 309 arms which push the tyre closer to the strut. They may go straight on a 1.6 hub. At the rear it is a 205 1.9 disc brake set-up and again a 10mm spacer. They would sit in more on a 1.6 drum back end or. The tyres were 205/40/17, however a mix of makes and you could see some were more stretched than others, particularly the Falken one (see rear wheel picture).

post-3457-1276467447_thumb.jpg

post-3457-1276467460_thumb.jpg

post-3457-1276467490_thumb.jpg

post-3457-1276467507_thumb.jpg

post-3457-1276467539_thumb.jpg

Note, I have Gutmann front arches which are bigger and wider and I have not driven the car with these on. The rear mud flap was touching the tyres with these on, however it seemed to be able to clear with the flap off. The rear beam may need raising slightly to accommodate

For info 307 Challenger wheels are 6.5x17 ET 31 so would require a bigger spacer. The bolts on the 180 wheels should have longer heads as the centre face sits far out when compared to the 307 wheels, despite them looking quite similar.

Either wheel would not fit a base model car without some arch modifications to the front and rear

blessed6383

looks nice sat on those wheels i always prefer using standard wheels where possible and think i may get myself a pair of these now for mine

Baz

Makes the brakes look small though H!! :)

hcmini1989

Is there a typo here mate jou said the wheels were 7x15 and you have 205/40/17 tyres or am i reading it wrong

Baz

Yarp, they're 7x17!

SebRad

Oh, now that's a nice looking CTI ;)

I'm not normally a fan of body kits but that's very tasteful, do like the silver strip in the plastic trim.

The wheels look pretty good too, I think any bigger would start to be over the top though. :)

Regards, Seb

welshpug

shouldn't need a larger spacer for the 6.5" ET31 307 wheels, the distance to the inner surface is 3mm smaller, i.e more clearance, from the combination of less width and a different offset.

Henry Yorke
shouldn't need a larger spacer for the 6.5" ET31 307 wheels, the distance to the inner surface is 3mm smaller, i.e more clearance, from the combination of less width and a different offset.

So what you are saying is that the 1/2 inch difference (12mm) will be 6mm each side of the center and therefore the difference between ET28 and ET31 is 3mm. Therefore the 307 Challenger wheels would effectively widen the rear track by 3mm compared to the 180 wheels? 7mm spacers would be required to maintain the same width as the 180 wheels.

This may mean that I keep the 307 wheels on the 307 and the 180 wheels are available for the CTI, not that there is much in it really

welshpug

the figures I worked out quickly for each wheel were;

7" ET28 gives 117mm from inner bead seat to hub mounting face.

6.5" ET31 gives 113.5mm from inner bead seat to hub mounting face.

overall track however is still wider with the 7" rims, by 9mm.

actual track width doesn't vary as the hubs remain in the same place.

Alastairh

It looks spot on Henry. To me (im a tart) the front needs to go lower roughly 10mm, but the back end looks spot on height. But i dought that would be optimum for handling, but hey, 17's themselves wouldn't be.

I know 17's and 306s don't get on well.

Al

Edited by Alastairh

Daviewonder

Looking good Henry :blush: Nice body kit, I don't think I've seen one before, must be a bit of a rarity?

Para

That's a geargous looking car ! I always prefered GTI rather then CTI but this one stole my heart ! Love the wheels , the colour, bonnet and the valance !

SebRad

Quick question, is that the original Atlantic Blue colour?

Thanks, Seb

shalmaneser

Argh!

Don't do it! Looks horribly overwheeled!

Unless you fancy giving me those lovely SLs....

Henry Yorke

I refitted the wheels on the back tonight and went for a drive with no rear bumper or valance on. The wheels did not catch on the outer arch, but caught on the top of the arch towards the rear of the arch. So if I was to run these wheels I would need to raise the back end and probably fit longer rear bump stops

lemmingzappa

For some reason I think they might suit a 309 more, but they don't look too bad.