• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
randomspeedfreak

Mi16 Part Identification

randomspeedfreak

hi all, a few n00b questions for you here

a few mates and I have bought a 1.6 and an mi16 to drop into it, however, the t**t that sold us the engine, not only chopped it out, but took all of the ancilleries and pumps off before he sold it to us. This is a problem, becasue aside from not knowing what goes where, we dont know if we have everything, and as this is costly, and we are endering the car in the £999 challenge every extra penny spent is bad news!

some of the parts we cant identify are:

1 sandwich plate or something?

p><p><a href=http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/rando...nt%3D064.jpg%26

3 http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/rando...nt%3D061.jpg%26

4 we are also missing an engine mount, the one that goes to the drivers side top mount, is it the same as the 1.9 8v or unique to the mi?

5 does the mi engine have an external oil pump? is this located on top of the gearbox, and is it driven off a camshaft? (at the other end to the cambelt?)if not what is that?

6 can anyone see anything we are obviously missing?

we have all the inlet stuff, just need any hoses or anythign else missing

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/randomspeedfreak/Pug%20205%20Mi16%20build/067.jpg' alt='067.jpg'>

cheers,

Matt

dave_gti

n00b? have i logged onto a call of duty forum? :lol:

Cameron

That's uber pwnage.

1) Looks like an oil to air cooler sandwich plate, maybe a mocal?

2) Is the oil to water warmer for the Mi16, no idea why he supplied you with both!

3) I have no idea.. looks like a SAD, but maybe it's a thermostat for the oil warmer?

4) Yes it's the same as far as I remember.

5) That isn't the oil pump, it's either a power steering or AC pump. I forget which!

6) Starter motor. :lol:

Anthony

Looks like the sandwich plate for an air-oil cooler

2 this is a mystery, maybe something for an oil cooler?

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/rando...nt%3D064.jpg%26

Oil-water heat exchanger setup and top radiator hose, from a 309 GTi by the looks of things

The side coolant block and ECU temp sensor from an 8v GTi engine.

4 we are also missing an engine mount, the one that goes to the drivers side top mount, is it the same as the 1.9 8v or unique to the mi?

Unique to an Mi16 unfortunately, and often quite expensive to buy on their own as - like yours - engines often come without them.

5 does the mi engine have an external oil pump? is this located on top of the gearbox, and is it driven off a camshaft? (at the other end to the cambelt?)if not what is that?

Oil pump is internal and sits just about the sump, driven off the crankshaft. The thing on the gearbox driven by the cam is the power steering / hydraulic pump (depending whether the engine came from a 405 or BX)

6 can anyone see anything we are obviously missing?

we have all the inlet stuff, just need any hoses or anythign else missing

The oil breather hoses and oil filler tower are the obvious ones, unless they're with the inlet manifold?

Miles

Inlet manifold, Loom, ECU,

Look's like it came out of a 205, Have you heard it running? if not at least check the bottom end or stick with the 1.6

randomspeedfreak
Likes like the snadwich plate for an air-oil cooler

Oil-water heat exchanger setup and top radiator hose, from a 309 GTi by the looks of things

The side coolant block and ECU temp sensor from an 8v GTi engine.

Unique to an Mi16 unfortunately, and often quite expensive to buy on their own as - like yours - engines often come without them.

Oil pump is internal and sits just about the sump, driven off the crankshaft. The thing on the gearbox driven by the cam is the power steering / hydraulic pump (depending whether the engine came from a 405 or BX)

The oil breather hoses and oil filler tower are the obvious ones, unless they're with the inlet manifold?

Haha i dont even have an xbox! :ph34r:

did the mi16 come with an oil cooler as standard?

what a b*****d, he said it had everything..ill get my welder out then go for the home made lol

what do we do with the oil water heat exchanger? :unsure:

do we need the coolant sensor? i assume so if its ecu related

thanks lads although im afraid this is just the beginning, plenty more ' in too deep' style questions coming your way

randomspeedfreak
Inlet manifold, Loom, ECU,

Look's like it came out of a 205, Have you heard it running? if not at least check the bottom end or stick with the 1.6

we have all of these...and both the late (1.6) gti ecu and mi16 one..which i understand are the same bar the rev limit?

it did indeed...how did you know that?!

we havent herd it run no :unsure: ..we saw all the bits and loom and ecu with a manifold that clears the bulk head, for £400 and we jumped at it...turns out we might have got a bit shafted if as much is missing as we suspect

oh the gearbox is transplanted from our 1.6

Anthony
did the mi16 come with an oil cooler as standard?

They have an water-oil heat exchanger as standard, but as standard the water feed is a different setup to the 309 one pictured. Normally for 205 use, you'd normally either remove it, or run it as per the the 309 GTi setup that you have pictured.

what do we do with the oil water heat exchanger? :unsure:

It goes between the oil filter and the block, although I can't see the part that attaches it to the oil filter thread.

do we need the coolant sensor? i assume so if its ecu related

No, there is one on the Mi thermostat housing, so you can chuck that to one side

welshpug
we have all of these...and both the late (1.6) gti ecu and mi16 one..which i understand are the same bar the rev limit?

it did indeed...how did you know that?!

we havent herd it run no ;) ..we saw all the bits and loom and ecu with a manifold that clears the bulk head, for £400 and we jumped at it...turns out we might have got a bit shafted if as much is missing as we suspect

oh the gearbox is transplanted from our 1.6

1.6 ecu is very different to mi16 one.

metal bottom hose is a 205/309 giveaway

randomspeedfreak

ok thanks for your post boys really helping so far.

does anyone have any pictures of a complete mi16?

we also lack hoses big time, i understand we need a combination of gti and mi hoses? again some pics of the setup if possible?

cheers boys

Ryan

I've got a few pics, but not of the whole thing. Anything you wanted in particular?

randomspeedfreak
I've got a few pics, but not of the whole thing. Anything you wanted in particular?

we just need to figure out where all the hosing goes really! any diagrams or pics that could help please wack em up! even if you dont think they could help they probably will as we are struggling with whats what

cheers

Simes
we just need to figure out where all the hosing goes really! any diagrams or pics that could help please wack em up! even if you dont think they could help they probably will as we are struggling with whats what

cheers

Have a good search around the forum - all the things you require are available.

;)

Ryan

I don't have any photos of the plumbing really, but these are some diagrams I draw for someone a few years back:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...st&p=670998

How exactly you do it depends on whether or not you keep the water-oil cooler and/or the metal pipe on the back of the head, but mine is the same as the second one in that post.

I've got an engine bay shot that show the top side of things:

post-5273-1277026209_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ryan

randomspeedfreak
Have a good search around the forum - all the things you require are available.

:blink:

i have searched a bit, its just difficult to know what to search for if you see what i mean :wacko:

randomspeedfreak
I don't have any photos of the plumbing really, but these are some diagrams I draw for someone a few years back:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...st&p=670998

How exactly you do it depends on whether or not you keep the water-oil cooler and/or the metal pipe on the back of the head, but mine is the same as the second one in that post.

I've got an engine bay shot that show the top side of things:

post-5273-1277026209_thumb.jpg

oh ryan you are an excellent person!

thankyou so much thats a massive help :wacko::blink::)

we will probably run with the most simple of those layouts, will our 1.6 water distribution block fit our Mi?

thanks very much

Matt

Ryan
will our 1.6 water distribution block fit our Mi?

Yes, straight fit.

DrSarty

Water:

Bung up - any outlets on the rear distribution union once you've used: 1 to expansion tank bottom & 1 to lower heater matrix plus the large one going round the inner wing to the bottom rad inlet. I.E. you need only 3 rear outs - 1 large & 2 small.

Remove and bung up the metal pipes that {a} go along the back of the head (remove it) and {b} saw off and bung up the captive metal pipe coming out of the thermostat housing (on the side of the head).

Bung up the much smaller metal outlet on the top of the 'stat housing with the bleed screw. It's like a T-piece.

Lose the oil to water heat exchanger all together. Not needed in this country.

Lose the throttle body heater hoses (which is where one hose goes to the T-piece). The other TB heater hose goes into another pipe IIRC, which goes to the oil to water heat exchanger that you'll not be using anyway.

Pipe on side of 'stat housing goes to top heater matrix hose.

Small overflow pipe from expansion tank goes to small hose on top of rad.

'Stat housing large to large top rad outlet.

This may leave one other expansion tank outlet/inlet to bung up.

That all works, and is the simplest set up.

Oil breather system:

Depends on whether you are intending on using a catch tank or not. I would/do: certainly in preference to feeding s*itty, oily vapour back into the inlet tract.

randomspeedfreak
Water:

Bung up - any outlets on the rear distribution union once you've used: 1 to expansion tank bottom & 1 to lower heater matrix plus the large one going round the inner wing to the bottom rad inlet. I.E. you need only 3 rear outs - 1 large & 2 small.

Remove and bung up the metal pipes that {a} go along the back of the head (remove it) and {b} saw off and bung up the captive metal pipe coming out of the thermostat housing (on the side of the head).

Bung up the much smaller metal outlet on the top of the 'stat housing with the bleed screw. It's like a T-piece.

Lose the oil to water heat exchanger all together. Not needed in this country.

Lose the throttle body heater hoses (which is where one hose goes to the T-piece). The other TB heater hose goes into another pipe IIRC, which goes to the oil to water heat exchanger that you'll not be using anyway.

Pipe on side of 'stat housing goes to top heater matrix hose.

Small overflow pipe from expansion tank goes to small hose on top of rad.

'Stat housing large to large top rad outlet.

This may leave one other expansion tank outlet/inlet to bung up.

That all works, and is the simplest set up.

Oil breather system:

Depends on whether you are intending on using a catch tank or not. I would/do: certainly in preference to feeding s*itty, oily vapour back into the inlet tract.

thankyou very much im printing this out for use when we next see the car at the weekend!

thanks!

Simes

Here's the back of mine, like Sarty I got rid of all the unncessary water pipes around the back of the block.

From right to left you have a black and then tw oblue pipes

2839217490056984843S500x500Q85.jpg

Black goes to matrix

Long blue one to expansion

Short blue to matrix

Top view

EDIT: bigger picture

http://image74.webshots.com/74/2/17/49/283...43vYZSoM_fs.jpg

Have a look through the link in my signature, there maybe some pictures of use to you. :huh:

Edited by Simes

randomspeedfreak

awesome thats a massive help!

p.s. LOVIN THE CAR!

cheers,

matt

randomspeedfreak

helped us out so much the water is all plumbed in well now cheersssss!!! ;)

Simes
helped us out so much the water is all plumbed in well now cheersssss!!! :D

Nice one! - surely it didn't take 3 months?! :lol:

randomspeedfreak
Nice one! - surely it didn't take 3 months?! :lol:

we're students! :lol::lol:

nah it didnt but i forgot to say thanks on here :)

cheers,

Matt

Sign in to follow this