• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McDude

Removing T-cut From Plastic Trim...

McDude

This weekend I got properly busy with the chemicals and polished up the 205.

Ordinarily I just get some Eastern Europeans to wash it for a fiver, but this weekend I T-cut, clay barred and then waxed the paint. It looks totally stunning, it's as white as new thanks to the t-cut and thanks to the clay bar, feels like glass.

I've got some plasticare ordered up but I got some t-cut or possibly polish on the plastic trim and need to get rid of this first. Any suggestions? It doesn't seem to wash off too easily.

Daviewonder

Brass brush like the ones for brushing suede works a treat :)

MerlinGTI

AutoGlym fast glass removes polish marks from trim IIRC, says it on the bottle.

I would invest in some panel wipe though, the plasti-care will prefer a freshly panel wiped surphace anyways. Its only cheap :) Do stubborn bits with a pencil eraser.

Tom Fenton

I plasticared my car last week, TBH it is a dye and will cover any smears of polish etc. I just used a bit of brake cleaner to get the worst off.

McDude
AutoGlym fast glass removes polish marks from trim IIRC, says it on the bottle.

I would invest in some panel wipe though, the plasti-care will prefer a freshly panel wiped surphace anyways. Its only cheap :D Do stubborn bits with a pencil eraser.

Now I have some Fast Glass so I'll give that a go - what is panel wipe and where do you get it?

dee205

Use undiluted car shampoo, TFR or even brake cleaner if it's really bad. If your going to dye the bumpers I'd be going over the lot with brake cleaner anyway to get rid of any oilyness or contamination.

stuart1298

meguiars trim detailer is the best stuff i've ever used!

MerlinGTI
Now I have some Fast Glass so I'll give that a go - what is panel wipe and where do you get it?

Panel wipe is a solvent used for de-greasing and decontaminating panels and parts prior to painting. Its good because its a lot kinder than thinners or carb cleaner on plastic/rubber and existing paint whilst still offering the same desired results.

Its avaible from most large motorfactors (unipart for example) and all automotive paint suppliers. Its about £5 for 1.5L IIRC. :)