• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
IanH

Mi16 Not Cranking When Warm And Sticky Gearbox

IanH

Hi, I was just wondering if any of you guys here could shed some light on a few teething problems Im having with my newly reshelled 205 mi16.

Car specs:

Its running jenvey TB's and omex management with cams, and a 306 GTi6 gearbox with Quaffie ATB LSD. Its worth mentioning that its also got a fairly recent Mocal thermostatic oil cooler valve feeding the stock oil cooler rad.

The problems:

The car goes like a rocket, but it seems if you get it warm after 30-45 minutes of average driving, the gearbox starts to get a bit sticky, and progressively harder to shift into gear. I replaced a worn 1st-2nd synchro pretty recently, so Im fairly sure its not worn components as it seems hard to shift in all gears, and its silky smooth when cold.

With the engine, if I turn the ignition off after the same amount of time, the starter really struggles to turn the engine, most often it doesn't succeed in starting the car. I have to go inside, wait for it to cool down and then it starts fine. For this reason, and the fact that the battery is brand spanking new, Im guessing that its not a power issue, ie electricity getting to starter. Ive not had a chance to volt check the battery at this time, but Im fairly sure the battery will show a decent 12-13V, especially after the cars hast just run for 30 minutes.

Im guessing its a heat soak issue, perhaps with the starter which is fairly old now, but the dials say the coolant and water temps are where they should be, ie not overheating. The thermostat is new as well.

Cheers in advance for any light that gets shed.

Ian.

jackherer

The first problem could be heat from the exhaust affecting the gear linkage pivot bolt on the subframe, if so a bit of grease will sort it.

welshpug

which transmission oil are you using?

check the voltage you're getting down the solenoid wire, as well as at the main starter power cable, then the main earth.

it might jut be a failing starter, especially if its a 1.9 as they are getting on now.

IanH

Thanks for the replies guys.

If think the linkages are good as it is just stiff to push it into gear, ie when the synchro bites, but when moving the gearstick in between gears it seems fine.

The oil in the gearbox is whatever Peugeot sell over the counter for that gearbox. I cant remember off the top of my head, but its pretty new (1K at the most) and not cheap nasty stuff.

When I get my multimeter back from work, Ill check the voltages and get the results posted back up here. Yes, its a 1.9 starter. It was bought "reconditioned" about 3-4 years ago now. Not a huge amount of miles done but its fairly old regardless.

large

If you are running the large body starter I would say that will be your problem.

IanH

Why's that, are they prone to screwing up?

On the topic of starters, can you still get new, or are they all recon units these days?

welshpug

the slimmer bodied later starters used on the XU7's and XU10,s as well as the EW engines are much more reliable, and a touch lighter, some are more powerful too.

you have to bear in mind that yours is potentially 23 years old :blush:

IanH

Heres a pic of the engine just before it went in.

IMG_0981small.jpg

I had no idea there were two types of starter motor, anyone have any idea which one this is?

It came from a '93 205 gti automatic and looks fairly recently reconditioned.

Edit:

I assumed 205 gti motors were pretty much identical to the motor used for the mi16 seeing as there is not that much difference between the two engines, except for the head obviously. Maybe im wrong in thinking this, but I had the old rusted up mi16 starter motor and it looked identical on the outside to the 205 gti automatic one.

Edited by IanH

large

That look like the large body type to me.

I have the same type and problem well almost it will turn over but only just, now and again not at all.

IanH

Fixed.

I got hold of a GTi-6 reconditioned starter motor and put that in a few days ago.

It wasnt a direct fit, as the bolt holes in the motor weren't the same size as the bolts for the gearbox I had, so a little bit of drilling and tapping and Bobs your proverbial. Strange, as it was a GTi-6 starter going onto a GTi-6 gearbox. The dowel on the starter was also smaller than the one one the gearbox, so that needed altering. Must be an early / late varient mismatch I ended up with.

At the end of the day tough, I took the car off for 45 minutes of "spirited" driving to get some heat into the engine / gearbox, parked up at my house, turned the ignition off, turned the key again and it started up again with no problems.

Thanks for the heads up on the slim-line starter motor guys.

Sign in to follow this