• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McDude

Oil Filter Tools

McDude

My oil filter seems to require an amount of tightening to get it to stop leaking at the face of the block. I know they should only be hand tight, but then oil weeps out.

This means that the filter is a b1tch to get off and this is where i need a good removal tool but can't seem to find one.

Chain wrenches do seem to be the best, but I've tried a few other designs along the way. I was after some tool recomendations; I'd seen cap wrenches while surfing: http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Oil-Filter-Wr...ey-VS7004-76-12 but I wonder if there is enough room between the filter and the radiator. Anyone tried them?

Alternatively, something like this looks like it might be good: http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=375&item=4002 obviously I'd need to get the right size/amount of dimples for a Pug filter.

Anyone got a good recomendation? I've had to resort to screwdrivers through the body of the filter before now to get the damn things off.

Cheers,

Andy

EdCherry

Screwdriver through the body everytime for me although would like a tool to stop my screwdrivers getting so... oily...

If you find one that works good give us a shout!

pug_ham

I've got one of these;

Worlds%20Best%20Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.jpg

The hex drive comes out & a 3/8" ratchet fits straight in for less height.

Graham.

Daviewonder

Water pump pliers FTW :DClick

McDude
I've got one of these;

Worlds%20Best%20Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.jpg

The hex drive comes out & a 3/8" ratchet fits straight in for less height.

Graham.

I saw those Graham and thought they looked a bit spindly and difficult to use. Would you recomend it? Can you get a good bit of force behind it? Even if the can is a bit greasy?

McDude
Water pump pliers FTW :DClick

Are they big enough? I have a set at home, but didn't think they would make it round a filter.

How big is a Pug filter anyway?

I have been thinking about one of these for a while i know Laser do them they are only about £8.00. Sorry about the item link location being portugal just wanted to show you the pic..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OIL-FILTER-WRENCH-BA...=item5635a744bb

many thanks ash...

I've tried those ones - total rubbish! Couldn't get any grunt in behind it.

Daviewonder
Are they big enough? I have a set at home, but didn't think they would make it round a filter.

You just need a large set, the jaw on mine opens to about a foot, also come in handy for pushing back caliper pistons :D

NeilGTi85

I have a tool which I brought from Halfords awhile back, its perfect for the job, just looks like a large set of mole grips :D

Here it is : Clicky :)

They offer quite a range including one like pugtorque has : Clicky

Edited by NeilGTi85

McDude
I have a tool which I brought from Halfords awhile back, its perfect for the job, just looks like a large set of mole grips :D

I've seen them - they look like a good peice of kit.

Looks like I'm spoilt for choice.

pug_ham
I saw those Graham and thought they looked a bit spindly and difficult to use. Would you recomend it? Can you get a good bit of force behind it? Even if the can is a bit greasy?

I've yet to have a problem with it slipping, imo they are fine & especially good in the pug bay with limited room around the filter.

They certainly aren't spindley, the arms are at least 1/8" thick & there's no flex in them or the gears.

I bought it when I had my STDT because the filter sits virtically just near the pump & it wasn't the best to get a grip on but this made it a doddle.

It can be used both ways also so it could help nip it a bit tighter if needed but it tends to dig into the casing if you try to tweak it to much.

Graham.

marksorrento205

Graham, would it be possible to measure, or if you already know, what the biggest dia filter it will take. Looks just the job for an A330 oil filter housing :ph34r:

Edited by marksorrento205

Tom Fenton

I like the chain ones- I've been through a couple of strap ones and broken them, but my chain one only gave up the other day after 8 years, on an especially tight filter that I ended up chiselling off. I've ordered another chain one.

swordfish210

I've got two, the first is a handle with a chain on the end that you loop over the filter, clip the chain to the other side of the handle and wrench off. It works ok but not great, seems to slip quite a lot.

The other one i have is a chain looped though a 1/2 drive hex bar and you just twis the hex to clamp and undo the filter. i much prefer this one and it seems to be more useable whent he filter is inaccessable.

Failing that either some waterpump pliers, a screwdriver or a big pair of Stilsons usually do the trick :ph34r:

Jrod

I have 2 as it depends on the engine bay. The strap type and the ones that you think are crap. I've never had a problem with either. :ph34r:

welshpug

surely there's an underlying issue that needs to be addressed if you need to wind it more than the specified 3/4 of a turn?

GLPoomobile

I use a tool (the name of which I know not) designed for holding and turning cam pulleys. It's a grooved rubber adjustable strap with a long handle. I find it perfect for oil filters as the grooved rubber gives it excellent grip with equal pressure applied around the full circumference of the filter, and then the long handle gives you the leverage you need. I've found it can be effortless where other tools have either slipped or end up crushing the filter from the force required.

This is the type of thing I'm on about, although mine's not this exact product Link

giveitsomebar

i got the ones which look like massive mole grips and they will undo any filter no matter how tight but it destroys the filter

marksorrento205

I have a couple of these in different sizes and I have never had any trouble removing any filters esp on a pug :)

Oil filter wrench

Edit: the one in the link may NOT be the correct size needed :)

Edited by marksorrento205

carbers205

I use something similar to what GLP has linked to, though Id bought it initially as a plumbing tool for tightening bath wastes. Its also good for removing fuel filter housing lids on 406s!

Sure it was only a few quid from B&Q and hasnt let me down yet.

KRISKARRERA

Filter removal is worse for me since I removed the heat exchange unit, or "oil cooler" to use the incorrect term. I use the chain tool but that's a pain to get in place with all the aircon pipes in the way.

Henry Yorke

I hand tighten on after oiling up the rubber seal before hand and can usually hand untighten off with a bit of a good grip. To oil the seal, I tend to just rub the new filter on top of the old one and I only used Peugeot filters. The only way a filter would weep is if the face was not flat or there was too much oil pressure isn't it?

Sign in to follow this