• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mojo1997

Hpi Checks

mojo1997

I've been looking for a Cilo 172 for the past few weeks. Been to see four so far...

The first was a private sale, quite clean and the owner is a member of the cilo sport forum. We agreed a price but before any money changed hands I had it HPI checked via the AA. It came back as a Cat D write off. The owner was unaware of this (I'm pretty sure he was telling the truth), he'd had it checked when he bought it but used a smaller company and it didn't shown up.

The next two cars I viewed were at garage's and both were rough.

The fourth car was another private sale and very clean, again I used the AA to check this car and again it came back a Cat D. This owner defiantly didn't know his arse fell out as the guy at the AA read the results out (I had the phone on loud speaker).

My question is, is there anyway of finding out what damage was done to the car and is there anyway of checking that the AA is correct? Since I would consider the last car if I knew what had happened to it and if the owner dropped the price accordingly.

MerlinGTI

I take it your looking at the old shape one?

A cheap one of those seems to go for £3k (only done a quick search) in which case it would of taken far more damage than I would like in a car to make it a CAT D (Probably BER - Beyond Economic Repair).

Thats assuming the damage was done today. If it was done early on in the cars life the damage would be even more extensive to give it BER status due to its higher value at the time of the claim.

I personally wouldnt buy them, but thats me.

To put your mind at rest why not re-HPI your favourite with another company than the AA and see if the results come back the same?

ORB

I only use experian (through work) and it tells me all I need to know.

I brought in a 51 plate 2.0 Sport the other week as a part ex, mint condition in black, it had 98k on the clocks. I remember it booked at 1400 quid and we bid paid a grand because of the miles.

No reason to tell you the above other than I find it amazing that I remembered that, I dont remember anything!

mojo1997
I take it your looking at the old shape one?

A cheap one of those seems to go for £3k (only done a quick search) in which case it would of taken far more damage than I would like in a car to make it a CAT D (Probably BER - Beyond Economic Repair).

All the cars are either 02 or 52 plates and priced from £3000 to £3800, the two that were Cat D were wrote off last year, so must have been something extensive.

The reports say damaged but repairable - insurer decided not the repair..... Unless they are going to drop the price to near £2k I don't think I'll bother..

dee205

Correct me if I'm wrong but the insurance write it of as Cat D if the repairs are in excess of 60% of the cars value. I could just be something like a new wing, door and bumper that can do this when you take the labour and paint costs. The car could still be structurally sound. But I'd be inclined to steer clear too.

RossD

Indeed, agree with the above. The damage was probably superficial\cosmetic. Older (I say old, but >5 to 6 years old) cars are written off by insurance companies just like that these days because of the ever increasing costs of repairing them. For example on a car worth 3k, a busted headlight and a new bumper would exceed the write off costs easily, once you've factored in things like parts, labour, courtesy cars etc.

MerlinGTI
For example on a car worth 3k, a busted headlight and a new bumper would exceed the write off costs easily, once you've factored in things like parts, labour, courtesy cars etc.

Sorry mate, complete nonsence :P

Im a fitter in one of the largest bodyshop chains in the country, Today we put a new front bumper on a P reg Rover 600 ;) A 3k car will take a new headlamp and bumper alllllll day long.

We are all (myself included) speculating really, but the damage would of been far greater than a bumper and some bolt on parts. Maybe it was purely cosmetic damage but still. Or maybe there were some strange circumstances which caused the insurance company not to repair (undeclared mods, fake theft etc...) Who knows :D

mojo1997
Sorry mate, complete nonsence :P

Im a fitter in one of the largest bodyshop chains in the country, Today we put a new front bumper on a P reg Rover 600 :) A 3k car will take a new headlamp and bumper alllllll day long.

We are all (myself included) speculating really, but the damage would of been far greater than a bumper and some bolt on parts. Maybe it was purely cosmetic damage but still. Or maybe there were some strange circumstances which caused the insurance company not to repair (undeclared mods, fake theft etc...) Who knows :)

I spoke to the seller today, he's found out that the car bumped into the back of another car, the insurer wrote it off and the owner bought it back and had it repaired. It needed bumper, bonnet, front wing, grille and headlamps. Whats a pair of Xenon headlights going to cost from the main dealer, plus all the other bits and painting....

He's going to drop the price, but not enough for me, so I'm still looking...

Edited by mojo1997

rescue dude

I know a guy selling a Clio Trophy. It was a cat D but its all been sorted and looks mint.

The guy is as honest as the day is long and will not give you the run around.

he's looking for about £4995.

If your interested pm me.

No i'm not on comission. :)

mojo1997
I know a guy selling a Clio Trophy. It was a cat D but its all been sorted and looks mint.

The guy is as honest as the day is long and will not give you the run around.

he's looking for about £4995.

If your interested pm me.

No i'm not on comission. :D

too much for me at the moment (we've just had a conservatory built)....thanks anyway

rescue dude
too much for me at the moment (we've just had a conservatory built)....thanks anyway

It'll be a good buy for someone as apparently its only seen rain once. :D

mojo1997
It'll be a good buy for someone as apparently its only seen rain once. :)

was that when it crashed......only joking :D

rescue dude
was that when it crashed......only joking :D

rofl1.gif

NeilGTi85

Category A - Vehicle must be crushed. All of it.

Category B - May not be returned to road. Parts may be sold.

Category C - Repairable. Possibly structural damage. Cost of damage (at main dealer prices) is more than book value of vehicle.

Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to.

Category X - Repairable. Minor Damage

I had my 205 wrote off as CAT C for a cracked bumper & dented tailgate :D

2-Pugs

Cat 'X', never heard of that one before?