• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

Immobiliser Query

Paul_13

Morning all,

Just a quick question, I'm going to be putting a GTI6 engine in a 306 XSI (1,6 8V) later today.

Now the gti6 ecu is unlocked at the moment and my question is will the immobiliser is the car still work accordingly?

Or will it lock it and it will stay locked?

Thanks

Paul

welshpug

XSI is either 2.0 8 valve or 2.0 16v, not 1.6 8 valve.

It depends what type of immobiliser the donor vehicle and the new vehicle had, AFAIk all gti6's had the transponder type, though the Phase 3 differed on how it worked.

If the new vehicle also has a transponder immobiliser you will need to unplug the transponder unit to prevent the ECU from Locking, unless it has been professionally unlocked and the immobiliser function disabled, unsure what would happen if it was the older keypad type, but I would unplug this as well as a precaution.

Anthony
AFAIk all gti6's had the transponder type

Some early Phase 1 GTi-6's ones had a keypad

Paul_13
If the new vehicle also has a transponder immobiliser you will need to unplug the transponder unit to prevent the ECU from Locking, unless it has been professionally unlocked and the immobiliser function disabled, unsure what would happen if it was the older keypad type, but I would unplug this as well as a precaution.

Where is the transponder? Is it the ring that goes around the ignition barrell.

Think I might of misheard it at some point, might be an XS

Edited by Paul_13

richsmells

Transponder on the P2/3 is in the key and the ring round the ignition barrel induces power to the chip and recieves the response. I'm getting a new transponder chip made up at the moment for a new key (£££).

Edited by richsmells

Paul_13

Nice one cheers, i'll just unplug it and take the chip out of key.

Shouldn't give me any other issues?

welshpug

The part around the ignition barrel is the aerial/pickup, NOT the transponder unit, it'll still lock if this is unplugged.

the transponder unit on a phase 2 is where the phase 1 ashtray sits, in front of the gearstick on the bottom of the dash, clipped to the back of the panel, you'll need to remove the centre console to get at it, I don't know where its hidden on a Phase 1 though.

Paul_13
The part around the ignition barrel is the aerial/pickup, NOT the transponder unit, it'll still lock if this is unplugged.

the transponder unit on a phase 2 is where the phase 1 ashtray sits, in front of the gearstick on the bottom of the dash, clipped to the back of the panel, you'll need to remove the centre console to get at it, I don't know where its hidden on a Phase 1 though.

Cheers Mei very helpfull, it's a ph2 so that's all I needed to know.

Is it a little black box i'm looking for? Is it easy to recognise?

Sorry for the questions, i'm going to have a look in the haynes manual in a few hours when I'm at his house.

Has it got orange clips/wires going to it? I've seen something similar on my 306 but unsure if it's airbag unit

Edited by Paul_13

Paul_13

One of these?:

14102009234.th.jpg

welshpug

no orange wires, that's the airbag and pre-tensioner stuff, though it is pretty much directly above that in the dash.

don't forget to swap the PAS ram whilst you have the engine out if its getting 6 speed too, and use the main gti6 gear rod off the gear lever as it has a kink in it to miss the cat that isnt present on other 306's as far as I know, it wasnt on my ZX.

Also the heater pipes are specific to the gti6.

it should plug straight in if its a Phase 2, if you have it fit the gti6 transponder unit, if not just leave that bit unplugged.

Paul_13

We're using the Xsara box in this one and welding up an exhaust for it.

Don't think he's having a cat.

We'll bodge something up with heater matrix pipes.

Briliant information WP Thanks :)

ablister

is this a phase 1 306 with keypad immobiliser?

Paul_13

No it's a phase 2 mate

Paul_13

Right having a bit of a problem with this. I've probably been totally oblivious to something and probably the engine wiring as the engine is a xsara VTS engine and the car is a 1.6 8v (XS?)

I've tried ecu on my 205 it is unlocked

I've given pin14 on double relay a 12v feed

Starter would turn over so wired a cable to starter live on ignition barrell wiring.

No fuel or spark I believe

I couldn't find a loom live?!

Both loom plugs are plugged in

Got a horrible feeling a manual rewire coming on.

Just to say it's a xsara vts engine in a 306 phase 2 1.6 8v XS(?)

Anthony

It's not clear what you've done/tried, but I'll tell you now that Peugeot (and probably Citroen) were notorious for changing the wiring around on 306's and even plugging a 306 loom into another 306 often doesn't work - so if you've just tried to plug the Xsara loom in as-is you're probably on a hiding to nothing I suspect.

There should be a switched live somewhere though - try pinning out the old XS loom as there should be one to the relay and/or coil I'd have thought.

Paul_13
It's not clear what you've done/tried, but I'll tell you now that Peugeot (and probably Citroen) were notorious for changing the wiring around on 306's and even plugging a 306 loom into another 306 often doesn't work - so if you've just tried to plug the Xsara loom in as-is you're probably on a hiding to nothing I suspect.

There should be a switched live somewhere though - try pinning out the old XS loom as there should be one to the relay and/or coil I'd have thought.

Sorry was in a rush writing it, yes i've plugged the wiring loom straight in. Knew that would probably be my mistake.

It's the engine I bought off Baz and yourself.

We'll have to strip it down on the wiring front and see whats what. Bit of an odd one but if I plugged the transponder aerial back in (bit around the key), would this enable the engine to start or do FA. Bearing in mind I have unplugged the transponder box hidden away in dash.

Anthony

If the ECU is unlocked currently (which it should be, as I unlocked it prior to removing the engine and you said you tried it on your car) then don't plug any of the immobiliser stuff back in, as you risk potentially locking the ECU and throwing another complication into the mix. As it stands, you know that the ECU is definitely unlocked and working.

The fact that nothing works properly is almost certainly down to the wiring plug connections being different between the two looms I'd say, as the wiring, sensors etc all worked fine when that engine was removed from the donor car. Obviously it should run with just a few key wires connected, so concentrate on identifying those first and once that's done, work out the others.

welshpug

I'd be tempted to fit the original XS plugs to the Xsara loom.

As anthony suggested, check some of the more obvious switched and perm+ wires across both looms to see how different they are.