• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

How To Remove Iron Filings On Paintwork

Batfink

Due to a bent stub axle I had to cut the whole rear hub off my girlfriends car. While I made every effort to protect the car from direct contact the car ended up covered in whats now apparent to be minute iron filings. The paintwork feels rough and horrible as well as the glass.

A quick google suggests a claybar will do the trick. I know little of these things so is this wise?

If so how much will i need to do a whole 206 and where is the best place. ie cheapest.

Daviewonder

You can get clay bars off of eBay for around a tenner, you will probably use between a third and half a bar. I've never used one myself but I have looked into it.

Couldnt you just use a fine rubbing compound to remove the filings?

shalmaneser

I'd be suprised if claybar does the job but you can buy a magiurs (sp!) kit from halfords for £15 or so, it's worth a crack. Claybar gives great results anyway, it's worth buying some even if it weren't for the iron fillings incident!

GilesW

My money is on you being stuff. Especially on the glass.

Yes ago I did similar and found the hot filing had 'melted' their way into the glass and paintwork (came out of paintwork but only when heavily cut).

But I didn't try clay bar. But my experiance of it I don't think it'll work.

But would still suggest giving it a go.

oz.

The glass is pretty much fudged. You can get the worst off with a stanley blade used as a scraper but it'll still be there.

Richie

Think a claybar might struggle with this. Might be worth popping over to detailingworld.com and see if they have any type of techniques for removing them.

Batfink

theres an oxide acid from autoglym called fallout remover especially for this so am going to get this and a claybar and get to work B)

A claybar may work but I'm going to make sure I am prepared for a more stubborn job

djc

A clay bar & plenty of detailing spray as lube will sort this. Halfords do a Meguiars kit for about £15. Not the best q/d spray but more than good enough for your current needs, just keep turning/kneading the clay - it will soon become contaminated.

Andy_C

Goole "aquartz Iron Cut" - amazing stuff which is designed specifically for this.

NeilGTi85

While I was cutting my holes for my bonnet pins, I had the same prob. Clay bar does work but you need to really work it, I also used AG Paint renovator which seemed to work very well :D

Paul_13

You've pretty much ruined the glass and possibly the paintwork.

Did it on the 306 badly and 205 no so bad.

No chance in hell of removing the marks, you'll get the metal out with a stanley. But even after trying a few things on mine I couldn't get marks to fade.

Batfink

They are not big bits of metal you can get out with a stanley. More like rough metallic dust coating. As there was no direct contact straight off the anglegrinder I'm hoping the oxide acid and clay bar will do their job.

MerlinGTI

Clay bar should do the trick unless you have melted little pits in the paint.

3M do a very very good clay that will be perfect for this as its slightly more 'robust' than the Meguires halfords stuff. Its blue and avaible at any 3M stocking 'factors. Unipart do them for example.

You dont need a dedicated lube. Watered down car shampoo will do the job nicely. Can use a quick detailer as a lube if you want.

The trick with claying is keeping the clay soft enough not to marr the paint with the bits of crap that will attach to it.

I get a bucket of warm water and 2 sealable freezer bags. Divide the clay in two, seal both bits in their own bags and drop it in the water to soften. Pop one out, start claying. When it starts to go hard pop it back in the bag-bucket and use the other. Repeat :ph34r: kneed the clay as soon as it looks dirty.

If your still not happy after claying, flat the paint with a 3000 Grit 3M 'trizac' sanding pad and mop the car after.