• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CharlieBoy

[misc_work] A Basic 1.6 Gti

CharlieBoy

Well, I believe it is time I shed some light of this project of my mates and mine, in addition to an introduction.

Basically, we (in one form or another) wanted a GTi from the off. From the moment I drove a dubiously registered STDT (well, it was actually an '89 1.9 GTi with an STDT engine but on the STDT's details...), I knew that one day I would own one. Many pups were seen in those years and others besides me (my sister) used to use my cars besides myself hence a 306 GTi-6 was my tool of choice for some time. The opportunity arose recently for us to get a 205. We decided to go for a non sunroof/non electrics GTi. This proved to be tricky to find with many examples fetching quite a bit of cash.

Eventually we stumbled across this example for a reasonable price albeit it being slightly tatty in some areas:

DSC_0887.jpg

DSC_0895.jpg

DSC_0898.jpg

DSC_0900.jpg

DSC_0904.jpg

DSC_0905.jpg

DSC_0907.jpg

Edited by CharlieBoy

CharlieBoy

Whilst the car was generally sound (it was a great replacement whilst my Porsche 944 was having an engine transplant (now gone)), it did require attention in some areas. It would soon require new engine mounts (quite soft, even by 306 standards), and new suspension (most of the dampers were misting from the top with one of them leaking). But it did have quite of bit of work done to it too (Group N Gear rods, new lower engine mount (pattern I think), new Lower Arm, driveshafts, clutch and radiator.

So it was enjoyed for a few months as a daily drive until we decided to tackle the car.

Off came the old suspension:

DSC_0898.jpg

DSC_0902.jpg

DSC_0901.jpg

DSC_0911.jpg

DSC_0915.jpg

DSC_0912.jpg

And then began the arrival of new parts:

DSC_1111.jpg

And the fitment of them:

DSC_1124.jpg

DSC_1114.jpg

CharlieBoy

More new parts have arrived:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/randhawac/DSC_1127.jpg

With some being attended to sooner than others. The first being the filler pipe, which was a right mess (albeit in just one area and I do not believe it was down entirely to age): which had the issue that caused it (starter motor wire) resolved and replaced:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/randh.../DSC_1127-1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/randhawac/DSC_1131.jpg

And here we are now.

So far the car is of the following spec, nothing to exciting I admit:

Engine: Standard 1.6 with the AFM/Intake modification

Gearbox: Standard bar Adjustable gear linkages

Suspension: Compbrake Front Struts and Top mounts with Bilstein Gravel (250/120) inserts on Tarmac (200Ib) springs. Poly Bushed lower Wishbones, Bilstein Group N rear dampers with solidly mounted rear beam.

Wheels: Stock 1.6 wheels, still deciding on another set of rims (spare rims) and tyres for both the 1.6 wheels and the future wheels.

I hope you enjoy the thread and the car, otherwise thanks for browsing, and your comments etc. are welcome :unsure:.

AJA_GTi

Great write up mate - I just bought a tidy ph 1.5 like yours - thankfully 95% of the mechanics were sorted by the previous owner (and forum members) so now it's up to me to do a general tidy up of bodywork and small details which I enjoy doing.

Hammerite, wet and dry and touch up paint have become my friends over the past few weeks!

Another one saved from the scrappy and given a new lease of life is great to see

I hope you enjoy the forums and more importantly the car

Good luck with the future!!

Andy

PS lovely set up you have there

Kettmark

Any updates on how the car is running?