• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Veero

Airbag Warning Light

Veero

Right the A4 is up for an MOT tomorrow, couple of weeks ago someone hoofed their feet under the passenger seat and must have knocked the plug for the passenger seat pretensioner wiring so now the Airbag light is on. Anyway it's done it before and I reset it using a mates' vagcom on their laptop, definitely came up as passenger seat connection.

Anyway is the airbag light showing an MOT failure in itself? I'd have thought not since the likes of my 205 doesn't even have them. Or is it a case of it is has the system it has to work to pass?

Cheers

Veero

oz.

My par passed with no mention of it. It's only on because I removed the passenger seat.

Tom Fenton

I thought it was a fail but I could be wrong. Either way though it wants fixing so that it all operates properly if you have a big off!

ade 4wd

Airbag warning lamp is not part of an MOT test. On, off or flashing it will pass.

Richy_cti

not an mot fail but you may want to disconcet the battery pull the connection apart and give them a good clean with emery cloth, then reset and that shoudl stop it altogether its common on the 406 coupe's guessing its the same with the older pugs too

hengti

didn't think it was a fail either, although it may be that the system's configured to disarm everything else whilst it's on (it is in my car, anyway), so probably in best interests to fix it sooner rather than later

Veero

Yes I know it's on the urgent list for sure. I'm not certain whether it disarms the whole lot or just the one at fault. I believe it's a fairly common problem on my era A4, a new plug should sort it out, and yes I will do so very soon.

Thanks for the replies, I thought it wasn't a fail but wanted to check, no point taking in until it's fixed if it's a definite fail.

Veero

Hmm well just dropped it off and the guy said it would be a failure. Just looked here at the Department of Transport website and there is no mention of the airbag system, warning light showing or not...

Paul_13

I thought it was a failure, light has to come on and go off, if it stays on it's a failure.

hcmini1989

absolute bollocks mate it is not a failure i do mot`s all day everyday ,the way vosa look at it if the airbag doesnt work itll only kill you not anyone else.Abs light is a fail though as then if that doesnt work then you`ll kill someone else

Veero

Ok. Good to know.

woodsy

As other guys have said, the airbag wont fail an mot.

large

As said it is not a fail. My cars light has not worked for years has all ways past from 2 different mot stations.

Miles

Ditto,

Really ABS shouldn;t fail as not all car's have it, I've removed them from 205 and 405's so whats the differance with a pump being on or off.

Henry Yorke

Can you turn a key to disable the passenger side airbag as if you had a rear facing child seat in there?

hcmini1989
Ditto,

Really ABS shouldn;t fail as not all car's have it, I've removed them from 205 and 405's so whats the differance with a pump being on or off.

yeah but if the car was fitted with it and isnt working properly i.e a sensor down it is`nt going to work properly and probably do more harm than good.

Are the braking systems diffrent i mean the master cylinder for abs and no abs or are they all the same

C_W
yeah but if the car was fitted with it and isnt working properly i.e a sensor down it is`nt going to work properly and probably do more harm than good.

Are the braking systems diffrent i mean the master cylinder for abs and no abs or are they all the same

Like the airbag system, if the abs warning light comes on the whole system is usually inoperative, even if it's just one failed sensor, so it's like the abs is turned "off".

Veero
Can you turn a key to disable the passenger side airbag as if you had a rear facing child seat in there?

Damn good thinking that man, there is indeed a key switch in the glove box. Although presumably that's for the passenger front airbag? I believe the fault lies in the connection under the pass seat I guess controlling the pass pre-tensioner and side airbags built into the seat.

Edited by Veero

timb1046

and ABS warning light on is an MOt fail. mine often comes on. on the vectra that is, and when it is on all that happens in the ABS doesnt work. the brakes are fine though, it only comes on 9 times out of ten though so my local garage simply keep trying the car on/off until it eventualy doesnt come on.

passengers in my car often get worried, when they say "whats that yellow light on your dash meaning"?

and the reply they get is: 'oh, its saying part of the braking system in faulty or broken' :unsure:

Edited by timb1046

backroadpug

im a mot tester and a air bag light on is only an advise. any light can be on at your dash apart from abs.

backroadpug
Ditto,

abs light on dash is a fail you can only pass it if sensors and pump is removed and you would also have to remove the abs light bulb. as it indicates a fault in the braking system if on and is a staight fail. only way round it is remove everything.

DaveW

Just a quick one to you mot guys, my winscreen has a crack in it but its right in the bottom corner the wiper does touch it, a fail?