• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrG

How Bad Exactly?

MrG

cti, ebay been standing for what looks like years!

How bad will this actually be? Considering its been standing for what looks like a decade? Salvageable and are parts like the hood etc a pain to find?

I expect many will pass this over because of the pictures on there but underneath is there a decent car?

Pugleyrich

You cant really tell how bad it is going to be without going to look at it. With regards the hood, there are companies that still make them new. There are 3 on ebay at the moment, the cheapest being about £315. I am sure there are other places that do them slightly cheaper than that though

dodsworth_gti

rubbers could have perised,beam could be siezed??? engine oil rotted shells and bearings?????

id buy it if it went under 300

MrG

nice thanks, prices of good late 1.9cti's appear to be on the up.

Pugnut

looks like a great little project for whoever wins it. good luck

lemmingzappa
has had a fluffy animal livinging in it

<_<

hexhamstu

Looks like a terrible buy to me. Unless you are prepared for a complete rebuild, why not make your life 10x easier and buy something for £600-£700 thats not a complete bag of spanners?

DaveW

I would'nt like to buy to try to get it back on the road, everythig will need fixing or replacing, beam would deffo of had it and i bet mice have eaten the wiring...oh and parts for the cti are a mission to get

MrG

it will be a major mission that's for sure. Not for me though but I find it an interesting item.

rescue dude

I wouldn't touch it with a s*itty stick. <_<

MrG

but many do buy cars like this to restore/rebuild etc. I'd like to think its on the to be saved list but it'll be broken I'm sure, although what parts are on it if that's about as bad as a cti gets?

EdCherry

I think the first 205 I bought was in worse condition as was missing alot more parts. Id go for it personally if you've got the time and aload of money to throw at replacing everything.

Henry Yorke

It is actually the most desirable CTI and one of the last, with its red check door cards and grey carpet. The power hoods are totally different to standard and if you want to convert to a manual hood, it is easy but you need manual rear quarter windows.

Considering a very tidy standard 1.9 CTI with approx 80k on it will be £1500 to £2k, it could turn into a money pit, so check these things out:

rear beam (obviously) though wear less than a GTI and not as old so often salvagable

carpet condition - red fade badly as they get more sun and wear more because of more dirt getting in with no roof.

door seals and window seals

boot strut (£80 new!!)

hood condition - good second hand power hoods are not common

rear metal bar under the rear screen - rusts to buggery usually

rear screen - later models come with a big tooth zip compared to the early smaller models

hood release handles (often break)

rear parcel shelves - no big speaker holes as they are not common

Pininfarina Badges - Hurricane grey are no longer available and not common on eBay

usual rust spots - these were made in Italy so it depends what day it was as to what the quality is!

Good points are that the engines tend not to be thrashed as they are low comp and thrashing doesn't work. The gearboxes are great as the torque from the engine means they are not worked as hard and the ratios are slightly longer than a 1.6 but not as long as a 1.9 - perfect box for a 16v conversion.

However paint is not that much of a problem to do on a CTI when compared to a GTI as there is only half a car :ph34r:

Daviewonder

Did 1.9 CTIs have 1.6 wheels?

MrG

they did, thanks Henry great insight there, now I asked a question regards rust and the reply was they're galvanised so there is no rust? However I did ask again and he said he could see or find no rust at all on the shell. Interior is sortable, so the main issue would be hood and electrics (assuming the family living in there made a meal of it!)

Atari Boy

Looks like a nice project Andrew, I hope you bag it.

Keep us posted.

MrG

we'll see what happens though!

anyhow did the cti have a gti rear beam or a more std item? And would a 1.9 GTI beam fit ok or would that be trouble to install?

steve@cornwall

Jacking points differ from the GTi and are more likely to rust!

Miles

Beams are more base model than GTi as is the front set up, Check floor's for rust again due to water ingress and all the normal GTi rust area's

omega

if it goes for the right price then buy it

if you find out later its to big a job buy a better car and use this for spares.

Cameron

Save it! That would be a great project! :)

BERTMAN

id quite happily take on a project like that.. but then again i do like throwing money at 1980's french metal!! :)

Henry Yorke
Did 1.9 CTIs have 1.6 wheels?

All CTIs have 1.6 wheels. There is talk that there may have been some ABS ones and these may have had 1.9 wheels, but I have never seen one in the flesh or even a picture.

anyhow did the cti have a gti rear beam or a more std item? And would a 1.9 GTI beam fit ok or would that be trouble to install?

As Miles said, think XS suspension with 14mm ARB (I believe). 1.9 beams fit fine, though you can probably recover the original beam. Putting a GTI ARB in transforms the handling. Discs on the back are pretty pointless from what I have found. Also this 1.9 will be on a three hole master cylinder with the single compensator under the bonnet. You can run a single line to the back and T it off with no additional 1.9 compensators. You will need new rear brake flexies, new handbrake cables etc etc. I think you may have enough other things to concentrate on with that project!

Power hood rams can also leak and can go for quite a bit of money second hand.

Richy_cti

if you get it and it turns out to be a bit of a dog let me know im looking for a new roof for mine at the moment