• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Storing Cars In Barn/fruit Store Question

Atari Boy

I don't have enough covered storage at home to store both my 205's, my folks however have an empty barn/fruit store.

Now my question is that it will my 205 be okay stored in this former fruit store for a few months?

f7bbcdc1.jpg

a6ed2f7b.jpg

The issue is that being a fruit store it is air tight and therefor it gets musty and things in the past have suffered from mold.

Iit has two mini doors/acces holes like this

f09fe68e.jpg

Do you think if I left them both open they would allow enough fresh air in and out?

I won't be able to check on the car every day to make sure it okay and the last thing I want to happen us that my 205 gets all nasty etc.

Many thanks

jeremy

If birds can get in put a cover over them. You could put some cilica gel in the car to absorb any moisture. Also remove all valubles and leave unlocked as otherwise any crims will just break in anyway causing damage.

Edited by jeremy

miamichris
If birds can get in put a cover over them. You could put some cilica gel in the car to absorb any moisture. Also remove all valubles and leave unlocked as otherwise any crims will just break in anyway causing damage.

I've read somewhere that putting a bowl of salt in the car also works to keep moisture/mould out of the interior, just change it once in a while :)

MerlinGTI
I've read somewhere that putting a bowl of salt in the car also works to keep moisture/mould out of the interior, just change it once in a while :)

Ive been told this too.

Salt, windows open a crack, indoor style breathable car cover = win :wub:

Carl Chambers

another problem could be mice making a nest in the car, they eat everything and make a right mess!

Henry Yorke

As had been said - bird poo, mice and ventilation are the key things. If storing for a long time, people take the wheels off / jack it up. The latter may help with the mice problem. However you want to visit it every couple of weeks just to start it.

It it was a late 205 in there you would have no problem with mice. They have a cat fitted as standard (groan!)...............

zebedy101

A friend stored his car in the compound at work, after a month it had mice inside the chewed on everything and they poo everywere. He put traps out and caught them in the end but you never know if one has got inside one of the vents and died until you can smell it. I don't really know how you can stop them getting in though.

jimistdt

If possible you need to secure all the gaps in the building of 1/4 in upwards as this is where the mice will get in. This could be thick silicone or a fine wire mesh. Have you got power in that building would it be possible to have a dehumidifier on to try and keep the damp out?

Richie
It it was a late 205 in there you would have no problem with mice. They have a cat fitted as standard (groan!)...............

;)

Dave

DO NOT start it every couple of weeks - park it up and leave it. Starting it but not driving it means its unlikely to get to full temperature, which causes condensation inside the engine which if left will start internal corrosion.

If its going to be a LONG time, change the oil and coolant, fill it right up with petrol, take the battery out, and leave it up on axle stands with a light dust-cover over it. Have the windows open half an inch and leave silica gel packets inside. If its only a couple of months, just park it, it will be fine.

harryskid

I knew some one a few years ago who kept a mini in a barn and left windows open. He had a wasp nest in it!

Atari Boy

Thanks for the comments chaps. I plan to put chicken wire over the ventilation holes/windows to stop any birds getting in. being a former cold store it is pretty dam air tight (without the vents/windows open) so I am hopping that I will not have a mouse problem but I am not sure how to work round that problem. The tyres are old anyway so I am not going to worry about the axle stands.

SurGie

It might be best to put it on axle stands as the suspension might seize being left standing too long.

Atari Boy

Well, I have wangled space in my folks proper larger barn. hand break off, window slightly open and battery disconnected.

Its a far better option as it is not at all damp.

e8136394.jpg