• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
richsmells

Renault Clio Immobiliser

richsmells

Firstly, sorry for posting this, but i'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions :D

I'm helping out a mate trying to get his Clio to start. I've had a look and it appears to be the immobiliser, a common problem it seems. It won't even turn over.

I've read the following thread on a clio forum: http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15688

Both keys unlock the car, but neither will start the engine when turned to the last position. It's been suggested that the immobilser receiver ring on the ignition barrel is failing to pick up the signal from the transponder in the key. I've tried separating the key to get the transponder closer to the barrel, but this didn't help.

The immobiliser light turns off when the ignition is switched on, but it just won't crank.

Before we call the auto electrician, could anyone with experience of this suggest a solution?

Thanks in advance :)

Anthony

Remove the transponder chip from the key as you did before, but put the chip to one side. Turn the ignition on - does the immobilser light still go out? If it doesn't, then that suggests the ignition barrel pickup is working correctly

(I assume you've tried bump starting it to confirm it's not just a dead starter motor btw?)

richsmells

Thanks Anthony. I can confirm the immobiliser light goes out when the key turns. At second position all normal electrical items are working. I tried separating the transponder from the key and without, the light flashes constantly. So as you suggest, this should indicate the immobiliser is not at fault. I can't hear the starter click at all though, only a relay in the wing.

We tried jump starting which didn't work. We've just tried bump starting on the flat in 1st gear and still couldn't get it to go.

I'm quite stumped, especially as this is aparrently an intermittent problem! :)

Edited by richsmells

dcc

doesnt turn over = not imob.

might be cam belt.

i have sorted a few clios, might be the TDC sensor on the gbox, doubt it though, i think its the cambelt if it doesnt even turn over!

woodsy

I agree the immobilizer on renaults usually make it start but cut out straight away so dont think thats your problem.If it was starter motor is should have gone on bump start.Does the engine turn over by using spanner etc on crank pulley just to rule out the motor isnt seized.

richsmells

Not tried turning it over but I don't have reason to suspect it's the cambelt since it was running fine yesterday, and aparrently does this quite often. I.e. could try again tomorrow and it will fire up right away.

The starter solonoid doesn't engage at all, no click, hum or anything. I cleaned up the wire and contact on the solonoid. Even so, I would have expected it bump start okay. :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions :D

Edited by richsmells

RossD

Check the earths - There is a braided wire between the chassis and engine\gearbox which literally just turns to dust causing problems like this. Does the fuel pump turn on when the ignition is turned to the second position (Listen for a humming in the tank).

My brother is having similar problems with his Clio atm, except his will turn over and just not fire!

(I think it's Renault who gives the other French manufacturers a bad name in all honesty!)

richsmells

Thanks, I know the earth you mean. It comes out of the conduit across the front of the engine and attaches to the GB, it looked in good condition, but I didn't check it out or clean it up.

The pump primes okay.

To be honest, I think we should have had another go at bump starting. It was on a fairly busy street and a bit awkward with cars coming!

Edited by richsmells

timb1046

next time you try bumpstarting use 3rd, not 1st. much easier that way.

pugdamo

If the immobiliser light is going out then the immobiliser is disabled,if its not turning over then i would say its either a starter motor or earth fault