• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Hillclimb 205 New Build

wardy18

Notch out for Speedo Cable

Edited by wardy18

wardy18

Rear beam converted to Disc Brakes, Calipers broken down, checked over, prepared, repainted and put back together.

Torsion bars swapped for my 21mm bars and ride height set

ARB swapped for my 24mm ARB

Skip Brown Camber/Caster adjuster plates fitted

wardy18

Pics of new plate fitted to passenger side with Fuel Cell, Fire Ext and new Elec box secured to, looks great and really neat and tidy. Tonight all my fuel lines with ally fittings were all fitted in along with the Filter, Facet Fuel pump and Regulator all ready to go.

wardy18

More pics of the general outside and also the lightened inside of the boot lid and doors

New Rear Screen and Rear QTR windows have been cut by me from Lexan (cost me £55 for the sheets of Lexan compared to £110 i was quoted for pre cut windows, great saving) Also threw some tinting film on which i think looks great with the blue.

Note the rear ride height, as low as i could before arches would cut into tyres in heavy cornering

Also note only required one boot strut due to lightened boot lid.

post-11100-1274996834_thumb.jpg

post-11100-1274996844_thumb.jpg

post-11100-1274996857_thumb.jpg

post-11100-1274996864_thumb.jpg

post-11100-1274996876_thumb.jpg

wardy18

Note also the new Grayston splined Ford studs which have been fitted, with a little tweaking to get them pointing in the right direction they are now the best option and wish i had done this from the start.

One thing i would recommend to anyone if they are going to do this is to get the back face of the hub machined on a lathe so its perfectly flat and then when the studs are pressed in they will all point out square to the hub and you wont need to tweak any!!

The one i got were Grayston 14.3mm spline, M12 x 1.5. Drill the hub threads out with a 14mm drill bit then simply press them in.

But you will need new front wheel bearings unless you have a proper bearing remover clamp as the when you press the hub out of the lower arm the bearing sh*ts itself!!

Batfink

credit to you for doing such a fast reshell and rebuild. Car is looking great!

tezza

thank you so much for the pics wardy. greatly appreciated. very inspirational.

couple more questions, is that a 205 or 309 beam you are running on the rear? and the comp wishbones are they 205 ones? was there issues with the arb? as i know that its common? ive been reasearching into them, but there are mixed views on how good they are. what are your views?

also the wheels, what size etc are they? fill the arches nicely. sorry for all the questions matey

Rich_p

Excellent build thread, the shell looks very different to when I last saw it at Alex's.

How do the camber plates work/where do they fit?

Do you have any pictures of them before they were fitted please?

wardy18
thank you so much for the pics wardy. greatly appreciated. very inspirational.

couple more questions, is that a 205 or 309 beam you are running on the rear? and the comp wishbones are they 205 ones? was there issues with the arb? as i know that its common? ive been reasearching into them, but there are mixed views on how good they are. what are your views?

also the wheels, what size etc are they? fill the arches nicely. sorry for all the questions matey

Best ask Boombang that, i assumed it was 205 unless 309 ones came with Drums too, not even sure of the difference, the rear track seems the same width as my old one!! Yeh they are Compbrake wishbones, a little cheaper than the ones from Shenpar but yes the ARB hits them so i have a plate extending the arb slightly and use longer (threaded bar with ball joint ends) as ARB Drop links, the amount of times someone has run up to me before i head to the start like and say there's something hanging under my car, i panic and get out and only find it the ends of my ARB as they are quite low. Its not an issue just fit longer Drop links, ill take some shots to explain better for you mate

those wheel are my old old Comp MO's 16" dia and 8"wide, tyres are 210 wide but they dont fit aswel as my Revolutions with the slicks on which are 9" wide but 15". Im going to use these MO's as my road tyres as they fit much better in the arches than last years std pug wheels so dont look so silly when driving on the roads

Excellent build thread, the shell looks very different to when I last saw it at Alex's.

How do the camber plates work/where do they fit?

Do you have any pictures of them before they were fitted please?

Sorry got no pics with them off, they are simply an ally plate which bolts between the caliper bracket and the trailing arm by the 4 allen bolts that hold the caliper bracket on. the top of the plate as thinner than the bottom to create the negative camber. the hub presses in as normal but the back of the hub which would normally press against the trailing arm now sits against the new plate giving the hub the negative camber. Quite easy to make yourself i would say!!

ill try and take some pics so you can see where they are fitted!!

thanks for the comments

tezza

thanks wardy once again. it will be a 205 beam then i assume.

are the compbrake wishbones 205 ones? pics would be great of the arb etc.

final question the skip brown camber kit, how much is it? and how much camber do they offer?

Rich_p
Sorry got no pics with them off, they are simply an ally plate which bolts between the caliper bracket and the trailing arm by the 4 allen bolts that hold the caliper bracket on. the top of the plate as thinner than the bottom to create the negative camber. the hub presses in as normal but the back of the hub which would normally press against the trailing arm now sits against the new plate giving the hub the negative camber. Quite easy to make yourself i would say!!

ill try and take some pics so you can see where they are fitted!!

thanks for the comments

Thanks that would be great.

I found a little info on them on the net and it mentions that the skip brown kit is supplied with modified 405 pins with a kink in plus some other bits.

Have you had to modify the rear arms or pins to accept the plates or are they just standard arms?

(I believe the beam on Boombangs shell was a 205 gti one btw)

daveo

i'll be watching this build closely. i fancy getting into sprints and hillclimbs myself!

wardy18

Yeh the wishbones are for a 205 tezza

the skip brown plates came with the old car so I don't really have much backeound on them, sorry!

Not sure what you mean by "pins" mate?? Standard arms yea

wardy18

Tezza - sorry, dont worry i havent forgot about the pics of the arb setup just havent got round to it yet

tezza

no worries matey. no rush. any updates on the car yet?

rescue dude

Just re read this thread and spotted the pics of the wheel arches where they've been cut away to fit the new arch extensions presumably?

I wouldn't let anyone see that they've been cut away or you'll find yourself in sports libre as cutting them away is classed as altering the "unitary construction" and is completely forbidden in mod prod.

wardy18

I see this as Reinforcing and can also not be seen within the silouette of the car due to being under arches even when standard arches fitted :lol:

wardy18

TEZZA - here's the ARB drop link pics for you mate, you can see the extension brackets added to lower the ARB so it clears the Comp Brake wishbones

The last 2 are a bit hard to see but because of the ARB extension brackets they now hang lower than the subframe, not enough to ever catch though.

tezza

thanks man your a star. they are probably my next upgrade, however there are so many bad reviews of them that it kind of put me off. but if the modifications are that simple and you recommend them i reckon its my next route.

thanks once again.

any updates to the car? will you be ready in time?

rescue dude
I see this as Reinforcing and can also not be seen within the silouette of the car due to being under arches even when standard arches fitted :lol:

You can see it how you like but it is still counted as part of the unitary construction of the car. :D

You're allowed to add arches but not cut away any of the original arch.

Edited by rescue dude

wardy18

Good thing I haven't done the front inner arches yet then

rescue dude
Good thing I haven't done the front inner arches yet then

The front wings are bolt on so don't count as part of the 'unitary construction' so you can do more with them but double check this in your Blue book.

wardy18

There is a lip in the inner wing which points down towards the wheel and at full chat round the corner with a very low ride height this will slice nicely into my £800 set of slicks!!